Author Topic: should i shave my head? please help  (Read 9774 times)

Offline ben1989

• Learning the way of Sly
should i shave my head? please help
« on: February 09, 2013, 06:01:40 AM »
hi guys im 23 years old and im suffering from a receiding hairline and im also going a lot thinner on the top compared to round the sides. id like your advice on whether i should just shave my hair off buzzcut?, iv been thinking about it for a while and im really getting depressed with how my hair is at the moment, i have attached a picture for you to see, thanks alot

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: should i shave my head? please help
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 06:11:04 AM »
If you're obsessing about it then do something about it. Try a buzzcut and see how you like it. You do have some recession but you don't look like you're thinning that badly yet.

Offline ben1989

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 06:14:01 AM »
thanks razor

its not really noticeable that im thinning until i put some product in my hair or im standing under a certain light, but its really been getting me down.

if i go for the buzz cut though, will that just make the baldness pattern and recession look even worse?

isleepinthebuff

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 06:59:08 AM »
It'll be more noticable to you than others. who in all honesty they will care less than you, cos it ain't their hair.

There is receeding there and shaving might help. what I will say if you go for a buzzcut cos your hair is dark you will see the hairline more as you have it quite long at the front now which disguises it. However to others that will seem you are just embracing the fact that the hair is going.

I'd start by having a shorter cut, then try buzzing if it gets worse - if you want to shave it off try and do it at the start of the weekend so you can get some growth back before you see others if you hate it. Even the most confident slyguy finds shaving for the first time a shock!

If you are going bald you might want to keep your hair as long as possible cos once you go past the point of no return then that's it sly for life cos the hair ain't coming back! :)
and keep posting for support  O0
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 11:59:22 AM by isleepinthebuff »

Offline Bensen

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 07:03:42 AM »
Some product and a certain light is never good to check it out. It makes things more worse than they are. I do think as well the thinning is not bad yet. Well a buzz cut,  for sure you would see more skin through the hair which is in the nature of a buzz cut.  A the buzz cut would be more a of statement like "i don't care for my receding Hairline" and possibly signs of thinning.

They best way to answer your question to your self  is to try a buzz cut, IMO. If you like like it could be some kind of a confidence booster. And its a different look for a change. Otherwise it would grow back fast enough. I thought a lot about it and to try it was a relief for me within different aspects.

I agree with the Post before, "..to keep your hair as long as possible because once you go passed the point ... "
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 07:40:56 AM by Bensen »

Offline ben1989

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 07:22:07 AM »
thanks for the replies guys i appreciate it.

i get what u say about i will notice it more than others, problem is, its always on my mind and im not happy with it.

i suppose if i try the buzz cut and dont like it then atleast i will know that i dont, that way i can grow it out and go for a longer style maybe.

im going to get it shaved tomorrow after work and il post a pic.

would be great to get you guys opinion when i do

thanks alot

Offline ben1989

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 07:36:44 AM »
thanks a lot saintc

your comments are very helpful to me.
positive thinking is the way forward i suppose.

:D

Offline Bensen

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 07:52:57 AM »
your comments are very helpful to me.
positive thinking is the way forward i suppose.

Forgot to say "Welcome on Board"!
It's always good to join a "Club" with other balding Guys !! ;)  Makes it easier to deal with it. Like Saintc said acceptance is the best way to deal with it if you can get there. The Forum is s good way to get there.

Thinking to much about it is not good. I did so, still doing it to much sometimes. Then it again it feel like a waste of time.
O0 Thumb up for the "Barber appointment".
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 07:54:35 AM by Bensen »

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 09:36:27 AM »
Welcome Ben!

If the way our hair looks is affecting your feelings about your everyday life, what would it hurt to just try soimething different? Buzz it down to a length that you like. Keep it like that a wek or so and then go a little shorter if you like. Stop going shorter when you find something you like. That may be long before you get to the shaving stage and it may not.

You'll know when you get to where you want to be.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline clarinetguy

• BBC and Sly since April 22,2012
  • Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 10:53:52 AM »
Try a short buzz to get used to it then you can go for the shave. In any case if you shave and don't like it - it grows back pretty quickly to stubble. Keep us posted- this is a great place to check in.

Andrei

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 11:48:42 AM »
Welcome Ben.
I think you will enjoy the change and the new look, so give it a try and shave.

Offline bella

• Sister Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Sister Sly
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 01:26:28 PM »
Just to add a voice from "the other side,"  I've never thought a buzz on a guy was ever due to mpb, and never made it more noticeable than it already was when longer.  W/ shaved heads I tend to think "nice!"   O0  But I am a little unique.

Outside of photoshop, the only way to tell if you'll like/look good w a shorter haircut is to try it.  The learning curve is fairly short -- looks like a max of two months if your hair grows slowly will get you back to page 1.

And maybe you'll love the buzz and want to go all the way!  And maybe you won't and in a couple of months it'll be like it never happened.

Buzzing/shaving for guys with any degree of mpb seems to be a big confidence booster--you're taking ownership.  So from that angle trying a buzz to see how you like it can be a huge step in the right direction, EVEN if you end up not liking how it looks. 

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 01:32:20 PM »
Welcome Ben  O0
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 07:34:48 PM »
Welcome, Ben! Just remember when you buzz or shave your head to treat it as just another haircut....Don't let outsiders decide how you want to style your hair...good luck and keep us posted!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 11:16:43 PM »
Welcome mate!

Hope it all works out.
Lynchy