Author Topic: Beard Dandruff?  (Read 10735 times)

Offline obstacle1

• Sly Guy in Training
Beard Dandruff?
« on: October 17, 2012, 04:14:05 PM »
Does anyone else get dandruff coming from their beard? Its driving me mad!

Offline baldOUfan

• Sly Okie
  • Sly
  • Boomer Sooner
Re: Beard Dandruff?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 05:02:36 PM »
yes I do, do you wash it? another poster old me to use dandruff shampoo twice a week and regular the others. Recommended selsun blue I have Denorex so using that. Ware light shirts till it clears.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 07:51:56 PM »
No, but I get dandruff from my eyebrows. WTF!

Offline baldOUfan

• Sly Okie
  • Sly
  • Boomer Sooner
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 08:00:45 PM »
Me too TheSlyBear

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 12:33:38 AM »
I used to get dandruff from my eyebrows too... I thought I was the only strange one! I also used to get dandruff in my beard too, but not so much these days. Maybe we are using a differnet shampoo or something now *shrugs*

@obstacle, Do you wash your beard with shampoo or soap? I personally shampoo and condition my beard every other day (when I shave my head&face), I can't stand soap, and I feel it does actually dry my skin out more.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 08:04:50 AM »
I've had some, particularly in colder weather.  I use anti-dandruff shampoo once a week--and really scrub it in with a scalp scrubber. http://compare.ebay.com/like/251153720001?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar  Then rinse completely with warm water and condition.  That usually controls it for me. 
Is the skin inflamed?  If so it could be something you might want the doctor to look at. 

theman

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 10:33:23 AM »
Most dandruff is caused by dry skin. When it gets colder we have our vehicle , home, etc. with  the heat on.  Also if people hair, beard , eyebrows are thicker, you are more likely to get dandruff.  I highly recommend Selsun Blue,  other like Head and Shoulders.  Exscema is red blotchy patchs which is usally all over the body and there are medications to take care of this.  Also some skin conditions can be treated with Selsun Blue. Such as Tina Versa Color.etc..

Offline OMBrandon

• Sly Jr.
  • Mortem Tyrrani
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 02:57:21 PM »
I get dandruff under my beard.  Usually use a daily facial cleanser from Neutrogena (blue bottle), which is the same thing that I use for pre-wash on my dome before shaving it. Seems to work well.

Brandon
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."  Thomas Jefferson

skinheader

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 12:20:35 AM »
If there is is no red blochyness,  it could be just be dry skin. If there is a red blochyness, or red patches with the skin peeling up, it could be a form of exma or seborrheic dermatitis. best to go see a dr. If it is seborrheic dermatitis there is no cure, but it takes a daily routine to keep it under control. The thing i find with any form of dandruff, the longer the hair, the worse it gets

I would recommend head and shoulders

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 07:40:57 AM »
Also if people hair, beard , eyebrows are thicker, you are more likely to get dandruff. 

I keep the goat short for this very reason. If I do start flaking shampoo/conditioner usually takes care of the problem.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 07:55:11 AM »
I recommend using "Head and Shoulders.  It really works!  This was the only product that used to clear up my dry scalp before I went sly.
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline SlyintheOC

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 06:09:11 PM »
I used to. Shampoo is drying to both hair and skin. Look for a shampoo that is sulfate-free and paraben-free. It will be much nicer to your beard and your face. Plus, if you can, only shampoo once or twice a week. All other days just rinse well with water. Another thing to try is jojoba oil or argan oil. These oils will moisturize the beard hair and face. You don't use a lot. Just about a dime size or so. You will have to play around with the amount.

Check out Bluebeard's Original beard care products. They are pretty good.

Enter your email address: