Author Topic: Sly Guy Hopeful  (Read 12701 times)

Offline Extol

• Sly Jr.
Sly Guy Hopeful
« on: July 23, 2012, 12:04:07 AM »
Hello everyone! First let me introduce myself. :)

I'm new here (although I think that's rather obvious? ;)) and I have been losing my hair since I was about 16. I am now 22 (I live in Georgia, USA btw) and it is getting to the point where I think about it multiple times throughout the day. About a week and a half ago I was scouring the internet (don't remember for what, but it did pertain to my balding) and came across this God send of a site. I've been a "lurker" since then, checking in everyday. I absolutely DIG the positive vibe from everyone here and how supportive everyone is.

I have been one who has been wanting to try Propecia and yadda yadda for a while now... but I don't think it is "practical" or it might not work as well as I think. Thankfully, through this site... I think I want to go completely "sly" and just jump right in. Mind you, I do have my hesitation on doing it... I think most people do. It is just such a drastic change, the thoughts run through your head about moles/a misshapen head and such.

Before I do this, I think I am going to get it cut (probably buzzed at a 1 setting) tomorrow or Tuesday, just to sort of "ween" myself into it. I know, I know, most of you might say "just take the plunge!" but as you know, though your advice is sound and genuine, people tend to go at their own pace, right?

I do have some questions... what is the best razor for the job? I am torn between the HB (using Atra blades) or using this "DE" razor thing I saw. I've looked into the HB a lot and think I'll be using that. I was wondering what the best "routine" was to go about shaving ones head. Do you do it in the shower in place of shampooing? Or when you're about to shave your face? Also, I do not want a shiny-ass dome piece. Nothing against it, I know plenty of you rock the chrome very well, but I just don't think the flashy is for me. ;) So,what would I do to avoid that? What is the best way to avoid completely butchering my head so I avoid razor burn?

AHH. Soo many questions. I'll end with those, I guess. When I think of more (I'm sure I will) I know I can count on you lot to feed me with perfect answers.

PS:
This is a picture of me taken about 10 days ago. You can see how far along the thinning and recession is (and how big my noggin is!) (I am on the bottom right of this particular picture and yes that is a Newcastle beer next to me ;))

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/428908_4270418761259_756318945_n.jpg
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 12:07:24 AM by Extol »

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Sly Guy Hopeful
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 01:02:51 AM »
First off, welcome! If I was you I'd take the clippers down to a 0.5 (without any guard) this will give you a good indication of how you will look completely sly.

As for the razors, the headblade is a wonderful tool which I would recommend, its very easy to use. As for the DE (double edge) I wouldn't recommend for a complete novice as you will probably end up ripping your head to bits. There very sharp and require abit of experience in head shaving IMO, plus your head will be sensitive at the start so I would give the DE a miss for now.

As for razor burn, soak head in warm water first, always use a clean, sharp razor and go WTG on your first ten shaves, so your scalp gets used to the shaving. Finish off with something like Nivea sensitive post shave balm, it's really good stuff.

Good luck.

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 01:13:28 AM »
welcome. get the balls and do it. you're gonna love it
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 03:07:41 AM »
Welcome mate, you have certainly come to the right place my friend.

As Mark said, I'd start with the HB. The DE razor is for the veteran (having said that if you DE shave your face you could probably jump into that, but I don't think that is you).

The first few times you might want to shave at the sink just so you have the mirror to help a bit, otherwise just do it in the shower, I like to shave my head at the end of my shower because it gives me the most time to get plenty of hot water on my head to help open the pores.

The standard routine is pretty much:

-wash your head
- let run your head under hot water for 3min or so
-Apply your cream/gel of choice (I really like Headslick, but there are sooo many brands out there)
-Shave WTG (With The Grain)
-Apply some more cream/gel
-Shave ATG (Against the Grain)
-Rinse with cold water
-Apply moisturiser and aftershave/balm of choice.

When your head gets used to it you might even be able to cut out shaving WTG first.

There are some very simple rules to follow if you are going to become a headblader.

1.Do not apply any pressure on the blade, if you need to apply pressure put it on the rear wheel/glide.
2. TAKE YOUR TIME! You will find you get faster with more experience, but initially slow and steady will win the race.
3. Only shave in straight lines, if you start making hook turns and trying to go back to get a spot you missed you are going to cut yourself.

Please follow these 3 simple rules, I have heard many stories of people peeling their scalps like potatoes and I would hate for it to happen to anyone!

Umm, as for avoiding razor burn... I don't really have an answer for that, I have never really had the problem with my head. but I get it on my face, and just shave every couple of days to counteract it. But I hear that Witch hazel is an amazing thing. Also initially don't go hunting for that baby butt smooth shave every time, because if you keep going over the same spot that is when you are likely to get razor burn.

If you don't like the shiney look, just look for matte products. I hear people recommend matte for men, and Headblade have their matte headlube.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 03:24:08 AM »
Hello Extol.

Welcome to this forum.  I agree with all the abovementioned advice.

I think it is a good idea to buzz your hair down to the lowest setting to gently get into it.

Also, it is definitely NOT a good idea to try a DE on your head unless you have first mastered it on your face.

First try to get it right with the Headblade, or any other good razor like a Gillette Mach 3, at the sink where you can see nicely and you can take your time.  I reccommend jumping staight into the Headblade as this is an amazing contraption that does the job very well and speedily. (once you get the nack)

Good luck whatever your decision is.
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 04:10:26 AM »
Welcome, and Good Luck!....stay away from the Propecia.....It's not worth losing your libido over trying to keep hair that you are ultimately going to lose anyway....
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 04:41:08 AM »
Welcome Extol. Everything the other guys wrote above is appropriate. Just take your time. Enjoy the experience. The shave is great and the surge in self-confidence is greater.

Thanks for posting your picture. You've got an ideal head for Sly - no worries about that.

The only thing I will add which wasn't mentioned is the "30 Day Rule" which you've undoubtedly seen elsewhere. Commit to maintaining the Sly look for 30 days. Shave daily. There are so many benefits, and I don't know which is more important: It toughens your scalp which makes shaving easier (and more resistant to nicks), it gives you the repetition needed to learn the various maneuvers of shaving a new area and the areas which need special attention (for me, it's just above the ears and a bit back from the temples), it gives you time to adjust to the new look (and your opinion will change from 'surprise' to 'admiration' of the Sly), and it ensures you give it enough time for others to "meet the new you."

I'm excited for you. I can sense already that this will be an incredible change for you and that you are ready and eager to make the move.

Post back and let us know how it goes.

Glad you're here.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 12:15:18 PM »
I think I want to go completely "sly" and just jump right in.

Satisfy your curiosity and take the 30 day trial.

Consider using the headblade and have a look at this video to get some ideas on how to shave your head.

Think you will be pleased with your new sly look.

And when you have shaved your head, don't mention it to other people. Wait for others to comments.

When I went sly, I acted like I had always been sly. Got fewer comments that way. And you settle into your new look more quickly.

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 01:03:06 PM »
Welcome and enjoy.  8)

Your idea of going to a 1 setting is a good idea. You could then shave it down using an electric for the first time if you have a good razor.

You may want to try a regular razor like a Fusion at first as the HB can take some time to get used to. Whatever you use just take it real slow and easy. Don't force it.

Offline IllinoisBaldy

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 04:13:07 PM »
Welcome Extol.

Offline balddoc

• Sly
  • Badass and bald to the bone.
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 04:43:44 PM »
Welcome. I agree with the guys - get a HB and take it slow for the first few shaves. Congrats on giving propecia the well-deserved finger.
Mike

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 04:47:15 PM »
Welcome to the site, it's good to have you here. I get what you're saying about the shine, before I shaved, I was dreading it... now I love it, so don't worry about it, it's good either way.

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 05:02:14 PM »
Hey Extol !  Welcome to SBG !

Just remember to do what you have to;
Cuz the only person truly happy is you !

Yep ... you going in right direction with that hairloss detour in life.  You sound like a fun guy, so treat this slight detraction with confidence and go Shorter, shorter, shorter ... SHAVED !

Make yourself better looking than those other guys !  Besides, their noses look like pickles ! 

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 06:10:50 PM »
Hey Extol:  Welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  Glad that ya joined us.  Keep us posted to your road 2 slyness.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline RoWilJr

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • SlyStyle...Get your Shine on!!!
Re: Re: Sly Guy Hopeful
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 09:35:38 PM »
Welcome to SBG Extol!

Cheers,
Ro