Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 742074 times)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #2100 on: September 01, 2018, 07:46:49 PM »
Catie's Bubbles for t/wetshaving | Dirty Prose
BSB-Ti | HMW Extra Dense
Ever-Ready SE | Delta Echo | Gem PTFE

For someone who claims to have an intolerance to rose, I've certainly had my share of them lately.  In reality, I do like rose fragrances.  However, not all of them agree with me, and I still haven't quite isolated the reason.  Sweet or dry doesn't seem to be the deciding factor.  I've essentially resigned to the fact that if rose is quite forward in the fragrance I should probably avoid it.  Otherwise, while I may enjoy the fragrance, if it's too forward---especially in warm weather---a rather intense and nauseating headache ensues.  While it's a rather amateur way of handling this issue, I essentially avoid fragrances with "rose" in the title.

Dirty Prose seems self-explanatory, and possibly one I should avoid, even though Chris Cullen is one of my favorite artisans.  Taking nothing from the redditor who contributed to the project, knowing that Chris maintained some creative control along with the fact that both Haitian vetiver and white grapefruit are among the architecture, I felt this was a relatively safe call.  Besides, it was a way to support the r/wetshaving community, and should it not have worked out for me, it would have been easy to flip.  After my first use today, I am happy to say this one won't be going anywhere.

I've previously commented on my impressions of Catie's Bubbles' Luxury Cream base, so I won't rehash it here except to reiterate that it continues to maintain its status among my preferred bases available today.

Straight out of the 98°F mailbox today, I cracked open the tub and was met with an excessively heavy and singular rose note.  I let it cool off for a couple hours before using it, and it did not permeate the room as I had anticipated.  However, the shower shave yields a best-case scenario (or worst, depending on your affinity) given the enclosure and the sweet, thick rose quickly filled the shower.  It is a heavenly experience for sure.  This rose does bow down rather quickly however in favor of the more earthy elements, but this never achieves "dirty" status in my assessment. (My gauge has forever been adulterated by the insidiously addictive "322" that truly displays Cullen's ability to sling Haitian vetiver with demonic acumen.) That said, the initial sweet aspect of the rose was obliterated by the earth right away.  It is one of the more abrupt turns in a soap fragrance I've experienced.  As the 2.5 pass head-and-face shave nears its end, a sharp and muted bitter citrus begins to pierce through the thick earthy and slightly smoky rose.  If the soap had been my only exposure to the fragrance, I may have called this note bergamot.  Yes, I was somewhat surprised that citrus was the latter element to make a showing.  This is a well-blended and crafted story of a fragrance even in the confining construct of soap.

The splash and then the parfum both open in a similar fashion, but the citrus is more accurately identifiable as white grapefruit and maintains a lasting presence reminiscent of Catie's Bubbles' fifth anniversary production, "V".  In fact, if you're a fan of "V", I would venture to say you'll like "Dirty Prose".  That's not to say that these two are so similar that you only need one of them in your den.  I'm just particularly drawn to the interplay between persistent grapefruit and the grounding of the smoky vetiver and then experience their crashing together to something greater than their parts.  As should be expected, the parfum displays the ensemble in a more complete, yet protracted fashion.  The parfum allows the sweet notes to come through more precisely with a controlled use of patchouli that's separated from other florals and fruits, whereas the soap alone simply represents these as nondescript, but still complex sweets.  The dry down of the parfum is simply outstanding as it descends to a darker, spicy, essence that tugs along the surprisingly persistent grapefruit.  I'm about 5 hours out now and the accord has plenty of life left as it's approaching a sharp, almost resinous nature.

Dirty Prose is a name that simply does not do this masterfully crafted fragrance justice.  While I would have be completely content with a soap and splash set, I'm thrilled there was a parfum option as this is a fragrance that deserves the unabridged story.

Thank you Chris Cullen and r/wetshaving for the thoughtfulness and artistry exhibited in this project.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2101 on: September 03, 2018, 05:37:03 PM »
Dr. Jon's & Beaver WoodWright | Bandit
Ever-Ready 100T | Elite Razor Manchurian
The New Improved Schick Injector Razor | Personna 74

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2102 on: September 05, 2018, 06:49:31 PM »
FREEDOM!  The Brace Came Off Today!
Catie's Bubbles | Revolution

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2103 on: September 14, 2018, 01:11:30 PM »
RazoRock | The Dead Sea
Leo Frilot Tru-Stone Copper Matrix | AP Shave Co. SynBad 30mm
Phoenix Shaving | Ascension Double Open Comb (7075 Al)
Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum (Black)
Catie's Bubbles | Quatre Cent Vingt EdP

I was a casual fan of the original Phoenix Double Open Comb (DOC).  My only complaint is that it was too mild and inefficient for my every-other-day shaving habits. I dramatically improved its efficiency by shimming it.  Ultimately, I passed on my original DOC to someone who appreciated it without modification.  Later, PAA released a higher-end razor of similar design called the Evolution. I never used the Evolution as I imagined it was simply a heavier version of the original (I've since learned it was a very different razor altogether).  The Double Open Comb design was briefly used in a 1940s razor, the "Grand Shave King", and PAA sought out to pay homage to this unique tool.  Since PAA revived the obscure design, at least two other vendors have churned out their own double open combs.  I've not tried them either.

A few months back, I received a surprise package from PAA.  It was a prototype of the Ascension with two base plates.  The artisan asked I put the razor and its plates through the paces and provide feedback. What he hadn't noticed is that I'd been exclusively using vintage SEs for well over a year at this point.  This may have proven my insight more unique as I was a bit rusty with DEs and had even fallen out of favor with them after my enlightenment of vintage SEs.  Nevertheless, I was willing to give it a go.  While I liked both iterations, one plate was the true winner, and I think the current release Ascension utilizes that very plate design and geometry.  Even with only a few shaves under my belt with the prototype, I was sold.  No, I won't be selling off all my vintage SEs and injectors, but there's no disputing the remarkable efficiency of the Ascension.

That's right, I said "efficiency".  This is a completely different shave experience from that of the original DOC.  My personal definition of shaving efficiency is essentially regarding a razor's ability to remove stubble in relationship to the number of necessary passes.  Efficiency is not to be confused with "aggression" which, to me, is more about the blade feel and comfort of the shave.  Again, this is all my personal perception of the terms, but "aggression" rightfully has a negative connotation.  The opposite of aggression is mild.  In my mind, aggression or mildness have nothing to do with efficiency, although they often converge and thus incorrect assessments are made.

I find the Ascension to be very mild and comfortable, but extremely efficient at the same time.  In my experience, there are very few DEs that can give me a BBS with only 2 passes.  The Ascension does this with ease.  It's also quite intuitive with an easily found blade angle even as a head shaver.

While I expect there to eventually be a stainless steel version, the current iteration of the Ascension is anodized 7075 aluminum.  As a result, it's quite light, but given the handle is made of the same material, it maintains its balance.  There's also a bit of drag associated with this type of finish. I actually like this aspect in that it's similar to stretching your skin during a shave.  I anticipate others not liking this aspect, so they will probably prefer a polished finish.

The Ascension is touted as being a "twist adjustable" which essentially exploits the amount of play allowed when tightening down the apparatus.  However, with other similar 3-piece razor designs, the shape of the base plate means there's only one true setting which is snug.  The Ascension's plate, however, torques the installed blade such that it acts as a spring.  This effectively makes this final quarter-turn play into a usable range that fine tunes the blade gap and angle without risk of blade movement, misalignment, or chatter.  While I know the artisan will take full credit for this "ingenious" design, I can't say if this was just a happy accident or by-design.  Regardless, it is a viable adjustment option for those who feel the need to tweak the angle and gap on a minute level.  Personally, I just tighten the handle until the whole apparatus is stable (not over-tightened), then I start shaving.  I find no reason to make these little adjustments as the comfort and efficiency are just right for me without thinking about it.

As with all PAA products, aesthetics are always considered.  The Ascension is no exception.  This is an attractive piece for sure.  The base plate has been anodized to a dark grey and includes laser etching.  As to the asymmetrical aspect of the head, I can't see how it offers any function other than that of conversation.  That's actually not a detraction, but rather right in-line with the embedded storytelling that makes PAA products unique.

I still consider myself to be a staunch vintage SE/injector advocate, but the Ascension Twist-Adjustable Double Open Comb Safety Razor has caused me to drop my moratorium on the use of DEs and actually begin restocking DE blades.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2104 on: September 16, 2018, 06:44:40 AM »
Tallow + Steel | Morocco
Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum (Black)
Catie's Bubbles | Dirty Prose EdP

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2105 on: September 18, 2018, 08:09:10 PM »
Talbot Shaving | Buttery Brook
APShaveCo. Elegant Emerald | SynBad 24mm
Treet Platinum Super Stainless Steel

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2106 on: September 20, 2018, 08:32:11 PM »
The Art of Shaving | Kingsman
Chatillon Lux Parfums | Santal Auster

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2107 on: September 22, 2018, 05:15:31 PM »
Declaration Grooming FKA L&L Grooming | Darkfall

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2108 on: September 24, 2018, 08:39:36 PM »
Lather Bros. | Imperial
Kent V8                           

I've been a fan of Lather Bros. for a couple years now.  Initially, it was their art that attracted me to the brand. It's always excelled due in no small part to the fact that one member of the creative team is a professional artist and art director by trade. Regardless of their eye-catching labels, I've seen their product improve from just average to one that's competitive with the likes of Stirling and Viking. Providing superb quality lather that comes easily, the base's density has never been a problem, but now the slickness, both initial and residual, is on par with what I expect from luxury soaps.  Post-shave is also quite good, though not yet approaching that of the upper echelon of artisan soaps. It's just a well rounded product that's no longer just a pretty face.

I don't typically reach for balms unless a matching splash option is not available.  I'm also not inclined to used both balm and splash with the same shave.  I did try out this balm, but I essentially used it as a post-shower moisturizer the day before this shave and not as a post-shave.  Like Lather Bros.' other balms, this is quite thick and I would call it a paste.  Based on prior experience, if you dispense the product via the intended method through the flip-top lid, over time the repetitive squeezing of the bottle will ultimately mar the label.  I don't intend to use the balm much, but when I do, I'll remove the lid and dab some of the product into my palm.  If they're going to keep this consistency, a small tub may be a more appropriate vessel.  I have considered adding a little alcohol-free witch hazel to the product to thin it a bit, but as it is, as long as it's applied to damp skin, it soaks in quickly and without greasy residue.  The balm ingredients do alter the native fragrance a bit with a slightly chemical overtone, but this burns off quickly.

Their current alcohol-based, mentholated splashes are quite good with immediate soothing and a delayed, gentle cooling.  It's difficult to assess the effectiveness of the splash because the soap's base does a good job in moisturizing the skin.  There is some slight oiliness detected for approximately 15 minutes after application, but that quickly subsides in favor of soft silky feel.  I cannot speak to the longevity of this particular fragrance because I followed it with the EdT.  A word of caution with regard to the Imperial splash bottle.  The black material that wraps the neck of the bottle is not waterproof (or splash proof).  When it gets wet, the black paint gets all over everything. It cleaned up easily enough, but if you can't avoid getting it wet, just remove it.

Lather Bros. recently teamed up with a local beer maker to produce 100 numbered sets (soap, splash, and balm) incorporating their raspberry bourbon beer.  To round out the fragrance, the artisan added notes of leather, tobacco, and lavender.  They also offered an EdT that can be purchased separately.  I felt that was a nice touch to keep the core set's price point attainable for those who weren't interested in an EdT.  A likely compromise, however is that the sets come with both the splash and balm without an option to customize.  Given the limited nature of the product, I completely understand this decision.

The fragrance of Imperial is quite unique.  It opens with a very forward leather note that remains realistic throughout. Trailing behind and blending superbly with the leather comes the warm toasty and malty hops. I cannot overstate how well these notes go together.  I didn't expect to pick up on the raspberry component given the soap is made with a beer that contains a raspberry note. I'd assumed the degrees of separation would simply cause it to be lost among the other dominant notes.  To my surprise, raspberry is quite evident right in the middle of the shave.  I feel the sweetness of the tobacco boosts its presence, and again, is so well blended that I cannot identify where the raspberry ends and the tobacco begins.  Lavender is no where to be found until the second pass.  At which point, it quite abruptly shows up, and for a brief moment, overtakes the leather, before bowing out on the final pass.  The splash actually opens with a slightly artificial and bitter lavender that I attribute to the therapeutic ingredients.  Again, this is brief, and is replaced with the leather note.  I delayed application of the EdT for about 30 minutes to confirm the splash indeed complements the soap.

Speaking of the EdT, I'm quite pleased with it.  It doesn't have the prominence of the warm beer notes, but the beautifully crafted leather, tobacco/raspberry, and lavender accord takes my mind off it anyway. Despite its EdT concentration, I could still detect the leather with faint tobacco out to 9 hours.  While the Imperial fragrance is quite unique, it is in the same realm of Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements' "Tombstone", Storybook Soapworks' "Shaken", and The Club's "El Gaucho".

Lather Bros. is no rookie when it comes to limited offerings that showcase pop culture, and more specifically comic book movies, which is obviously my weakness.  However, to my knowledge, this is the first collaboration I've seen them do, and it is quite well executed both in terms of presentation and performance.  I applaud the artisan for keeping the presentation box low-key and offering the EdT as a separate add-on, both of which contributed to the set's attainability.  It's limitation to 100 sets notwithstanding, Imperial is at a price point that's within reach for many.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2109 on: September 30, 2018, 04:35:26 AM »
Phoenix Shaving | Doppelgänger

It has been an absolute joy using Phoenix Shaving's Doppelgänger for the past 2 months, but it's been driving me crazy because I haven't been able to talk about it. While I was not in the extensive test group from it's inception, I was afforded the opportunity to test and provide feedback for a couple of the late iterations of this "CK-6" base. In fact, the version prior to this final recipe had already surpassed my personal benchmark soap, such that I'd assumed it was the final version.  Ultimately, this release version performed essentially the same except the post-shave was extended considerably.

CK-6 offers no-nonsense loading.  Over the weeks of testing, I've used synthetics, boar, and badger knots, and the results are the same: a damp knot easily picks up enough product in just a few seconds.  In this respect, it's quite similar to the standard Crown King base, as well as several other artisan offerings for that matter.

I typically face and scalp lather, but for testing purposes, I did bowl lather a few times.  Trying to find CK-6's limits proved to challenging.  I have extremely hard water which can diminish even the best of lathers.  Over the years, I've tried using distilled water or adding a little citric acid to my reserve bowl, but ultimately I've learned to just load more and scrub and agitate more.  Certainly, the higher performing artisanal soaps have overcome this hurdle.  One of my favorites, the Barrister's Reserve base, has essentially made a mockery of hard water, such that I have to take care to avoid overloading the knot else I'll be met with an uncontrollable amount of lather. CK-6 is somewhere in between.  I can load a typical amount of soap in a 26-30 mm knot that will ultimately yield enough lather for a leisurely 2+ pass head and face shave with plenty more to spare.  When I use CK-6, that "more to spare" is has now become an essential element to my routine, but more on that later.

CK-6 thrives even on an unreasonable amount of water.  With just a little agitation, the lather quickly expands and then stalls right at that optimal density thereby yielding a thick creamy lather that can be painted to a glassy sheen devoid of brush marks. The more water I introduce, the slicker it gets.  The  resulting slickness is matched by very few of the artisanal soaps I've used.  I did try neglecting the hydration to evaluate the rookie factor, and I found it still performed on a spectacular level.  In fact, if you like a stiffer stucco-like substrate, you can achieve this by skimping on the water, and you'll still get a very slick shave.  If you do this, I recommend letting the lather rest on your skin for a bit before taking a blade to it. It won't break down, but the prolonged exposure seems to allow the buttery lather to impart its slickness.  Whereas a well hydrated lather is ready to go right away.  In practice, personally, I prefer a wetter lather, but CK-6 simply has a wide water range accommodating individual preferences (or even errors) without sacrificing glide. That said, this is one of the more intuitive soaps I've ever used. 

If you're into doing 45 minute single-pass shave videos, then feel free to keep working the lather, but you can't over-work it and you'll be hard pressed to drown it.  There are very few soaps in my den that allow me to lather my entire face and head all at one time without risking breakdown of the final areas.  Being a shower shaver, even the most robust lathers are at risk of falling apart under these humid circumstances.  Despite these conditions, CK-6 remains quite stable, allowing me to take my time on a leisurely face shave while the lather waits on my scalp.  By the time I transition the shave to focus on my head, the lather is just as dense and slick as if I'd just painted it on.

In my experience, my hard water certainly impacts residual slickness.  I discovered this in the past when I experimented with distilled water or by introducing a pinch of citric acid to my reserve bowl.  It was only then that I could fully appreciate residual slickness.  Times have changed, and now several current artisanal soaps offer good to outstanding residual slickness without having to jump through hoops.  The residual slickness I've been experiencing with CK-6 is unmatched by any soap I've ever used.  In some soaps with exceptional residual slickness, I find holding onto my brush to be somewhat precarious.  Being a shower shaver, I tend to let the lather fly, so this is a real concern with lather dripping down the brush handle.  CK-6 actually doesn't mess with my grip, though.  It seems the residual slickness is directly related to the prolonged exposure to my skin and not passive exposure to the handle materials.

Other than perhaps the durability and residual slickness aspects, the qualities I've mentioned thus far can also be boasted by a select few other bases currently on the market.  Where CK-6 leaves the pack for me is the post-shave.  Just how soft can one's skin be, you ask?  Consistently, after shaving with Doppelgänger (CK-6), my skin feels as if it's never sprouted a hair, nor ever had a blade dragged across it.  So, Icarus does that.  Catie's Bubbles' jojoba magic does it as well.  As does Ariana & Evans, Nuàvia, and so on.  The real leap with CK-6 is that this feeling literally lasts all day with no additional products.  In fact, while my stubble is yet reemerging, my skin still feels as if I've just applied moisturizer.  When using my highest performers, I smear whatever pulled lather remains on my scalp where it stays while I clean up my gear.  In the case CK-6, the post-shave benefits are so luxurious that I actually account for that extra lather when loading so I can ensure there's enough pulled lather to completely cover my scalp, face, and neck.  The results are an unmatched flawless and protracted post-shave feel.

There will be plenty of documentation out there by way of the artisans as well as more professional reviewers explaining the details as to why this base performs the way it does, so I won't even attempt it.  In the midst of testing, there were some comments from the artisan that suggested CK-6 may never come to fruition due to cost.  As of this writing, I believe this is still a concern.  I doubt the artisans will switch over their entire line to this base, but I can certainly see it maintaining a place in their catalog as a premium line much like Declaration Grooming's Icarus and Barrister and Mann's Reserve.

Again, as of this writing, I don't know what the final cost of CK-6 will be, but I do remember in the not-too-remote past paying hefty prices for the likes of Martin de Candre and Nuàvia, while current artisans churn out products that meet or exceed the performance of those at a fraction of the price.  Given the current volume of talented artisans in the community, certainly from a pragmatist's perspective, a luxury-level wet shave can be achieved on the cheap.  However, when I consider performance benchmarks for a soap, I do not incorporate cost into the equation.  Nor do I consider packaging, marketing, fragrance, or customer service.  With that in mind, here are my benchmark ratings of CK-6:
•   Ease of loading: Unsurpassed
•   Ease of lathering: Unsurpassed
•   Water range:  Unsurpassed
•   Density: Unsurpassed
•   Primary slickness: Unsurpassed
•   Residual slickness: Unequaled
•   Durability: Unequaled
•   Post-shave feel: Unsurpassed
•   Post-shave feel duration: Unequaled
Given these results, after several weeks of using this base under various conditions with various hardware, CK-6 is the current pre-eminent benchmark soap base title holder in my den.  This is the best all-around performing soap base I've ever used...for now.

More pics:

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2110 on: October 02, 2018, 05:44:47 PM »
Declaration Grooming | Dirtyver

Given its name, it's no surprise Dirtyver is earthy vetiver, but it's much more than that especially with respect to the matching splash.  The earthy vetiver does prevail if not overwhelm throughout the lathered soap, offering little more, but enjoyable nonetheless.  The splash opens with the same damp earthy vetiver, but after approximately 30 minutes, I'm met with a slightly sweet citrus blossom that I was initially inclined to call neroli.  It's not as sweet as neroli, however.  The unique dry down morphs this brighter note into something a bit darker, offering a bitter characteristic that leans toward bergamot. It's still a smidge more orange than bergamot, though.  This elusive note is protracted throughout the dry down and is quite enjoyable.  So why am I telling you what it's close to instead of what it is?  Because, honestly, I don't know.  For anything to permeate through this vetiver cloud is a miracle in and of itself, so I blame the vetiver for altering something that's probably commonplace in fragrances, but I simply can't place it. This is actually a testament to the craftiness of the blending.  The vetiver and earthiness does linger along with this sweet and dark citrus note, but the blending actually swells to a hint of a thick green essence before bowing out.  This is one of the longer lasting splashes from Declaration, still being detected about 5 hours out.

I'm such a fan of Declaration's Icarus, that I essentially pick up everything they offer in this base.  Since I'm already a trained fan of vetiver by way of The School of Cullen, I expected to enjoy Dirtyver, but it offers more complexity, depth, and elegance than I had anticipated.  This is certainly not a competitor to the Catie's Bubbles creation, 322, which showcases a dark, smoky Haitian vetiver.  It's not even in the same ballpark, but instead Dirtyver is the more earthy variety virtually devoid of smoke.  Given Dirtyver's unique heart and masterfully blended dry down, vetiver fans will no doubt want this in their den. It's cleaner and more refined than the name might suggest.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2111 on: October 03, 2018, 06:29:55 AM »
Declaration Grooming / Chatillon Lux | La Fôret de Liguest
Phoenix Shaving | Ascension Double Open Comb (316L Stainless Steel)
Treet Platinum Super Stainless Steel

La Fôret de Liguest is right on the edge of my floral tolerance, and more specifically my rose tolerance.  Upon lathering, it opens with a powdery sweet floral that almost turns me off, but a warm slightly resinous cedar slips in just in time.  While the sweetness never abates, LFdL does acquire a more traditional fougère accord with more subdued and weightier florals mitigated by the resinous cedar.  Cypress is a documented note, but my nose often interprets cypress notes as cedar especially when used in conjunction with benzoin.  I don't pick out benzoin specifically, but I'm assuming it's contributing to my interpretation. The splash and EdT unfold similarly, but the EdT is a bit sharper in the beginning with a faintly powdery floral heart.  Again, the fougère becomes more standard with bitter citrus, resin, and cedar becoming more prominent in the dry down along with hints of vanilla. It's at this point that I really enjoy this fragrance, as does my wife.  The EdT is still detectable about 6 hours out before rather abruptly falling off.  If you're a fan of fougères on the sweeter side, you'll probably enjoy La Fôret de Liguest.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 06:36:14 AM by 120inna55 »

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2112 on: October 05, 2018, 07:17:22 AM »
Noble Otter Soap Co. & Australian Private Reserve | TEXAUS

TEXAUS is a limited edition collaboration set in which Noble Otter provides the soap and splash base and Australian Private Reserve supplies the fragrance.  It's my understanding the goal was to bring together a harmonious accord that demonstrates aspects of both Texas and Australia.  A noble effort, no doubt, but I'm not sure how the notes reflect this.  Off the puck, the fragrance is quite light, and it only increases slightly when lathered.  Opening with a subtle rounded citrus and plum-like fruit, it gently transitions to a faintly herbaceous sweet floral about mid-shave. Creamy sandalwood and vanilla only present themselves very late in the shave.  The splash, as expected, is more present, but still muted in terms of strength.  It opens similarly with a soft citrus fruit.  A few minutes later, woody lavender makes a fleeting appearance before dropping off to the dry down.  At this point, the fragrance is the most enjoyable for me, getting a bit warmer with a standard sandalwood and vanilla with peaks of patchouli.  Longevity with my body chemistry is 3 hours tops.

I've documented my impressions of Noble Otter's latest base previously, so I'll keep it brief to say it's beyond reproach offering a rich voluminous lather that yields nice glide, residual slickness, and a post-shave that in most cases precludes the need for a post-product.  As per my previous impressions, I can't speak to the real effectiveness of the alcohol-based splash because the soap provides adequate nourishment.  It does offer the obligatory gentle alcohol sear, but is menthol free.

I can't speak to the Australian aspect, but as a lifelong Texan, I don't see how this accord represents my state.  Honestly, given the vast regions represented in Texas, such an undertaking would be daunting nonetheless.  That said, I kept looking for something uniquely representative, but I couldn't find it.  I don't dislike TEXAUS.  It's certainly a pleasant, well-blended fragrance, but there's nothing about it that particularly stands out.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2113 on: October 07, 2018, 07:05:54 PM »
Phoenix and Beau  - Whitechapel
Ever-Ready SE | Delta Echo | Gem PTFE
Barrister and Mann | Hallows

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2114 on: October 11, 2018, 08:38:10 PM »
Phoenix Shaving | Atomic Pumpkin

Atomic Pumpkin opens with a barrage of spices that aren't exclusive to Halloween or even autumn, but are also quite reminiscent of the Winter festive seasons as well.  It's absolutely beautiful with the cinnamon aspect thankfully maintaining a subdued role.  The overall accord, while bold and spicy, is quite well balanced with sharp orange and nutmeg and an as-of-yet unidentifiable rich resin note.  I really love this fragrance.  But...it is most certainly not something I want to smell like when I go out.  My wife agreed.  She said, "You're not going to wear that in public, are you?"  The initially perceived problem is that, while the fragrance is certainly pleasant, enjoyable, and evocative of festive times, it's absolutely not a fragrance I expect to smell on a person.  There's a happy ending, though.  After about 90 minutes, the dry down beautifully takes over, relenting to a more traditional bay rum accord, effectively abandoning the more novel initial fragrance.  That bay rum fragrance is well-established at the 2 hour mark and at that point is quite similar to Atomic Age Bay Rum.  Given the proven staying power of PAA's splashes, the bay rum can still be easily detected about 6 hours out.  Atomic Pumpkin is genius fun, allowing the wet shaver to enjoy the novelty accord without concerns for smelling like a holiday gift shop later in the day.  My wife shares this sentiment and is pleased with the results as well.