Author Topic: Laser eye surgery  (Read 4763 times)

Offline zeroallover

• Sly Guy in Training
Laser eye surgery
« on: April 17, 2012, 04:53:41 PM »
Anyone had it? Experiences good bad or indifferent? I'm booked in to have it next month and reading what can potentially go wrong has me spooked!

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Laser eye surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 07:31:31 PM »
My wife had it done. Overall it was ok but at night she gets halos from light.

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 01:58:55 AM »
I can only hope it works well for you :)
tell us how it went after you have it.
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 06:48:38 AM »
You're right to be spooked--unless there's a "medical" as opposed to a "cosmetic" or "convenience" reason--stick with contacts or glasses.  You're playing with what the late Senator Everett Dirkson called the "windows of the soul."  There may come a time when you really need all the reserves that your eyes have for a real problem and it won't be there anymore!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 07:15:12 AM »
I've considered it, but after talking to a number of people who've had it done, I backed off.  There was a huge range of experiences:  a couple people had great results, but an equal number complained that their vision wasn't all that clear or they had halos around lights at night or they still needed reading glasses (this was from older people who wore progressive / bifocals before surgery.)

While I would love to be free of glasses / contacts (I've been wearing them since I was 10), I'm reluctant to risk further messing up my already-bad eyesight.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 12:47:15 PM »
i also considered laser surgery but i'm just happy & satisfied with wearing my glasses.  keep us posted.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 03:38:29 PM »
i also considered laser surgery but i'm just happy & satisfied with wearing my glasses.  keep us posted.

WARHAWK O0

Like you, I'm happy and satisfied wearing glasses. The laser thing is more than I can take.

What about contact lenses ? (not that I've tried them either)

Good luck with the laser eye surgery.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 07:25:13 PM »
I just looked back through your old posts and saw that you mentioned that you are 29 years old.  For that reason alone I would say don't do it.  You're too young.  Your eyes will continue to change as you get older -- laser surgery cannot correct near-sightedness and I'm not sure what the effects will be on your distance vision in the long-term.  At the very least, question your doctor in detail about it.

I'll admit that I've considered it but I haven't seriously pursued it. The first time I really thought about it was about 6 or 7 years ago.  I asked the doctor about it and he said I was too young -- and I was a good bit older than you are now.  Most people experience changes in their vision after the age of 40.  His recommendation was to wait until then, and then give my eyes a chance to stabilize before considering any type of surgery.  I'm at the right age now, and I think I'll need a new prescription soon because I'm starting to have some problems.  I was thinking about inquiring about it again when I have my next eye exam.  I'd love to be free of glasses and contacts, but all this talk about halos at night makes me very hesitant to proceed down that path.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 08:25:26 PM »
Your vision continues to change as you age.  For the past ten years, my distance vision has gotten better, but the trade-off is that my short-range vision has gotten worse. :(

I've talked to people in their twenties who've had laser surgery and they were told that at some point they would need it again or would need glasses because the fix isn't permanent.  The older people I've talked to usually need reading glasses since the laser can't correct for both. 

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 08:46:20 PM »
I got RK (Radial Keratotomy) differs from laser vision surgery in that a blade is used instead of a laser (excimer). It's been 18yrs or so, and no issues yet... My wife had the Lasik 10yrs ago and also no issues so far...

Don't know what'll happen when I'm 60-70-80... But hopefully by then if any issues come up, technology will be able to correct it...

But for now, we're both happy with our results...

Offline zeroallover

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 02:41:29 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback! The surgeon did say that I will probably need reading glasses in about 20 years as most people do. Though I'm hopeful at that point there will be surgery for that also! If I don't have to wear glasses or contacts for the next 20 years I think it'll be worth it.

I'm going to ahead with the surgery and I'll keep you all posted as to the results!

Offline cobbster6

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 06:15:58 AM »
I had laser done in 2000.  It went very well.  For a year or so I had some halos at night but it went away or I just don't notice them any more.  That said I still have to wear readers because of my age.  Good luck.  It was a good gamble for me.

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 07:45:45 AM »
I got RK (Radial Keratotomy) differs from laser vision surgery in that a blade is used instead of a laser (excimer). It's been 18yrs or so, and no issues yet... My wife had the Lasik 10yrs ago and also no issues so far...

Don't know what'll happen when I'm 60-70-80... But hopefully by then if any issues come up, technology will be able to correct it...

But for now, we're both happy with our results...

Yes that would concern me , not quite sure what you do with your vision except use additional vision aids to top up a deficit which will happen over the age of 40

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 09:11:59 PM »
I'm not sure of the yr I got it done, but I'm thinking it had to be about 20 yrs ago. I had it done a yr or 2 prior to my last job since they had a vision minimum requirement. And that was in 94.

I'll be 46 this yr and my vision hasn't changed (I get yearly exams). At the time, one was a little better then 20/20 and the other eye was 20/30 or so and I was given the option to get a touch up on the one that was a bit off. Since one eye was/is slightly near sighted, I was told that would actually be in my favor when I got older. I still don't need reading glasses.

I would think technology has gotten better since I've had it done and will continue to improve... I hope..

Offline RoWilJr

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • SlyStyle...Get your Shine on!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 12:31:16 PM »
My GF had Lasik done a few years ago.  Said it was worth it...have co-workers who have had the same procedure done with mixed results...YMMV.

Cheers,
Ro