Author Topic: Is it now time? How would I look with a buzz?  (Read 5813 times)

Offline popperkarl

• Sly Guy in Training
Is it now time? How would I look with a buzz?
« on: March 17, 2012, 08:32:23 AM »
Hey guys, I posted here a few months ago and my hair's gotten thinner since then, feeling it's time I went really short. I have a few issues though...

1. I'm worried about looking like... not a 'thug' or anything but just looking a bit rough, if that makes sense?
2. I'm still worried about how it would look as my head is pretty big compared to my body!

I'm 20 and still at university, doing a few internships this summer so I don't want to look out of place in a professional environment.

Would appreciate any thoughts

Thanks!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Is it now time? How would I look with a buzz?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 08:48:46 AM »
Well, you do appear to have male pattern baldness, but have enough hair for now just to buzz it.  Remember, the buzz can be 1/2" or 1/16"--you have to find the length that provides you with the feeling that your hair looks good.  Ultimately remember that you probably are going to be bald--and although the top will gradually recede into memory and be visible only in old pictures, the horseshoe, the Bozo Ring will stay there.  The guys here with mpb decided that they didn't want to have a horseshoe because they just don't look good and frankly we've never had a woman come on to a guy because of his "hot horseshoe" look. 
As far as interning, look around you when you're out and about.  The number of guys who have elected to just get rid of what is dying anyway is getting larger by the day.  In every walk of life in every business and social setting guys are just taking it down to the skin and getting freed of the concern.  It's an option.  And, as the next few years go by you'll be joined by other friends and associates whose hair is also on the wane. 
Get on with life, put the hair cares behind you. 

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 09:00:56 AM »
I understand your concern about looking "rough" - my daughter told me I looked intimidating, like a state trooper, the first time she saw me. The way to counteract that is to smile and be polite.  No one would expect a "rough" guy to be kind and polite, so you immediately dispel any stereotype.

Your head does not look disproportional - it looks normal.  We all worry that something is wrong with the way we look.  Just push through it and stop fretting. 

I'm a white collar professional and there are a number of guys like me with shaved heads at my company which is quite conservative.  No one thinks we look odd or out of place.  It's quite common to see smooth shiny heads and most people assume it's because guys have decided to take charge of MPB.

My advice: buzz down progressively shorter.  If you reach a point you like, stop.  If not, keep going to a very tight buzz - it will give you a pretty good picture of what you'll look like fully sly.  Then give sly a try to see if you like it.  If not, grow your hair back to the buzz that you liked the best.   

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 09:50:18 AM »
My advice: buzz down progressively shorter.  If you reach a point you like, stop.  If not, keep going to a very tight buzz - it will give you a pretty good picture of what you'll look like fully sly.  Then give sly a try to see if you like it.  If not, grow your hair back to the buzz that you liked the best.   

I'd agree with npsbg.  This is about what I did. Buzz shorter and shorter each week.  The shorter I went, the better I liked it until finally I got out the razor and shaved my head bald.  My hair was not thinning, but I liked the new look.  Been shaving my head daily for two months now.  There's a big difference in the feel between buzzed and shaved.  I prefer the feel of shaved. Like the look, too. 

Now would be a good time to start the process and in a month or two, you'll be ready to have a bald head for the summer.  Remember the 30 day rule.  You won't want to go back to hair.

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 10:11:40 AM »
Like others here I would suggest buzzing it short - shorter each time.  That will get you used to it and others.  In time you will likely wanted to shave it.  At your age many many years ago I kept my hair very very short.  I was in University and later in a professional career.  I shave it after some years.

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 10:00:57 AM »
hey.
I'd say: go ahead and shave it down.
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 10:53:14 AM »
Glad you came back !  This site offers great advice and support and now it's your turn to act on this advice.  I agree with others to go gradually shorter in stages so that you and everyone else adjusts.  Not sure where you live, but spring is excellent time to buzz it and even consider taking the razor and go sly for the summer.  There are bald / balding guys in many work environments.  A balding young man with messy see-thru hair is not a very confident image.  Buzzed short or razor smooth is confident.  Keep us posted.

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 02:43:52 PM »
I agree with Stasiu, a buzzed MPB  can look really good  before you go the whole way

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 07:12:00 AM »
i did the buzzed route from february 2004 to April 5th 2004, then on April 5th 2004, i bic'd it, i recommend buzzed look for 2-3 months, then go the bic'd rout for 30 days

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 07:31:32 PM »
Everyone else has already hit the nail on the head, buzz until you feel comfortable, and if you like it then shave. When I went sly, my hair was much thinner and more receded at the front than yours, but not thinning on the crown. Looking back at photos, I wish I had done it sooner, the confidence boost is amazing, and everyone says I look more professional sly. You've made the important first step by deciding to do something, now it's just a matter of trying it out. I reckoned you'll look great bald!

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 08:45:14 PM »
I agree with the idea to at least buzz it.  Don't worry about looking rough (tough), it's a cool/edgey look.  You don't seem upset about the idea so I think you're really going to like it buzzed short and your probably going to really like it completely shaved too.  Once you're done worrying about your hair life is great!

I remember when I buzzed my hair in my 20's (a long. long, long time ago).  I loved it even though I didn't have any noticeable mpb.  I always wanted to try shaving it back then but I was too chicken and it wasn't poplular then.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 11:21:41 PM »
GROW A MULLET!!!!!!

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 02:05:12 PM »
GROW A MULLET!!!!!!

That's gotta be the first time I've seen someone on this site suggesting someone should actually grow hair... although the mullet is a sacred and mighty hairstyle.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 07:13:04 PM »
GROW A MULLET!!!!!!

That's gotta be the first time I've seen someone on this site suggesting someone should actually grow hair... although the mullet is a sacred and mighty hairstyle.

gotta be a rebel and stir things up a bit! lmao

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

marty22

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 08:19:48 PM »
buzz it short

Enter your email address: