Author Topic: NOOOOO! Attack of The Beard Annihilator!  (Read 5359 times)

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
NOOOOO! Attack of The Beard Annihilator!
« on: March 12, 2012, 04:32:25 AM »
So this morning, whilst trimming my beard (as it looks in my avatar) the guard slipped down and removed the middle of my beard, the moving guard made me slip and that was it. it was unsalvageable because there was no beard left in the centre under my chin, so I just grit my teeth and got rid of it all... AND I HATE IT! I have pretty much had a beard or at least a sustained long stubble since back in high school, and I have had a beard the whole time I've been sly, I felt comfortable with being sly and really confident... but I'm meant to be bearded! I can't wait till it grows back.

Funny how I am almost religious in the act of removing what hair I have left on my head, yet almost the same with respect to leaving my chin to gain some facial foliage.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
Re: NOOOOO! Attack of The Beard Annihilator!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 05:40:49 AM »
No way, man.

I feel for you. It will grow back.  I've had my beard since Jan 1, 1980 and I'd feel the same way about it if I 'slipped' and accidentally shaved it off.

I had some minor surgery on my face 'under the beard' area one time and thought that the doctor would want to shave the area. He did not! 

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 11:19:29 AM »
it's quite a funny thing..
I'm sure it'll grow fast, buddy :)
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 11:37:37 AM »
It will soon grow back accidents happen

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 11:38:25 AM »
You have gotta focus more when you are shaving dude....LOL.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 02:33:57 PM »
One advantage to letting a beard grow a little longer is that accidents like this aren't quite as severe and you can probably let Mother Nature repair the damage without shaving everything off and starting over.  Just something to think about.   :)

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 02:56:22 PM »
One advantage to letting a beard grow a little longer is that accidents like this aren't quite as severe and you can probably let Mother Nature repair the damage without shaving everything off and starting over.  Just something to think about.   :)

Unfortunately my beard seems to gain some kind of rookie like wildness above a certain length and sticks out randomly everywhere, the only solution i have found so far is to keep it short. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 03:04:46 PM »
Unfortunately my beard seems to gain some kind of rookie like wildness above a certain length and sticks out randomly everywhere, the only solution i have found so far is to keep it short. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Beards seem to have a mind of their own when it comes to growing out.  I've found in growing mine out recently that there are good days and bad as it increases in length.  One big help has been using the beard trimmer "with the grain" or in the direction of growth, as opposed to trying to make it all the same length by going "against the grain."  You might want to try that.  At a certain point, about a #4 for a Wahl guide, the length of the hairs varies depending on whether it's on the cheek or chin from nearly an inch to a half inch.  Doing it every other day or so keeps the "wild" hairs in line while the rest grows out.  Right now I'm trimming with a #6 and learning more about how it lies on my face.  I'll probably go back to a #4 for the hot and humid summer, but plan to grow out next fall and winter, possibly to a #8, the longest guide I have for it. I'm not after the mountain man look that I had as a young man in my twenties, but a full mature beard yet neatly trimmed.   The beard seems to be much softer as it gets longer too.  And it feels great riding the motorcycle having the wind in the face fur! O0
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 03:11:36 PM by saintc »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »

I think that's something you just have to persevere through.  Once you get beyond a certain point, it becomes a little more manageable again. 

Offline andyarmstrong

• Sly Guy in Training
    • Andy Armstrong
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 06:10:35 PM »
It's alright dude! I was trying to trim around my ear with my beard trimmer and took a good 3 inch chunk off the side of my head from the top of the ear straight up. I sport a #1 buzz but with darker hair and a very pale complexion, it was very obvious haha. Grew out funny for a few days but made for a solid moment of humor among my friends. The best part was that when it finally grew back out and i trimmed it properly... I had a great little confidence boost that put me in an even better state of mind for a few days as compared to having had the even trim the entire time.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 06:27:52 PM »
Yup, all back to normal now, Andy you are one positive dude, great to have someone with your mindset on the site

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 09:58:53 AM »
I grow beards intermittently...I may be retiring from the armed services soon, I'm looking forward to growing out a beard on a long term basis. The longest beard I ever had was about ten weeks when we were given two months off during demobilization from deployment.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline SalWalker

• Sly Jr.
  • Contentment is wealth; luxury is poverty
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 12:54:06 PM »
I feel you; I've lost a couple of good beards over the years to mishaps like that.  But you know what they say: "Absence makes the heart grow fonder...of your beard."

And about the wild hare hairs: if you wanted to try growing it out, you could try shampooing and conditioning your beard, if you aren't already.  I found it helps keep my beard more orderly.  Without it, it can get a bit...unruly....as my "before" and "after" pics documented.
"If you wish to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."  - Epictetus

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 01:00:54 PM »
And about the wild hare hairs: if you wanted to try growing it out, you could try shampooing and conditioning your beard, if you aren't already.  I found it helps keep my beard more orderly.  Without it, it can get a bit...unruly....as my "before" and "after" pics documented.

You know, I'm starting to realise there's a lot more to growing a beard than just letting it grow.

Been bald for over 3 months. Now my beard is coming through, keep thinking "I don't remember my hair being this colour".
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 01:04:16 PM by Mr Jules »

Offline andyarmstrong

• Sly Guy in Training
    • Andy Armstrong
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 01:26:21 PM »
Haha, when I was young I had blonde hair, then it turned red and when I hit puberty it turned to a dark brown.... my beard is red, especially in the sunlight ;D

Enter your email address: