Author Topic: Old English language  (Read 5410 times)

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: Old English language
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 06:48:47 PM »
I wouldn't say English is a conglomeration of other languages, rather since it is the "native language" of at least six different countries (UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand plus the Commonwealth countries), it has developed differently in each, but retains a strong common thread.  One advantage of English is that it does adopt words from other languages, rather than create awkward "native" words.  English also has fewer structural rules (think words order) than other languages.  So while it may be confusing as heck (when words like though, through and tough look similar but sound very different), in some ways, it's easier to learn than other languages, but it may be harder to master.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 07:11:04 PM »
perhaps it would be truer to say that English, although a separate language, has a strongly symbiotic relationship with many other languages. Personally I have always been intrigued by etymology, especially when it encompasses similarities in many languages, think of how many languages use 'ananas' or a derivative of it to mean pineapple... check it out.

Slynito

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 04:36:13 AM »
Yep, Slyfive is right on again...and the piña belongs to the Bromeliad family. And the Portuguese took them from Brazil to Europe and the Brits and Spanish spread them all over the world.

O:O

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 11:13:57 PM »
I agree with npsbg about the words. I can be speaking Russian to friends but when an English word comes up that there is no good Russian word for, I have to use the English form. Something that gets me is all the strange sounds of the letters. In Russian there is 31 letters and 3 symbols and the only time they sound like one another is "B" and "V" sometimes sound similar. Maybe it is how people pronounce words too like most people say Chree, Chruck, Chrew, Chrubble instead of saying it tree, truck, true, trouble, etc..

I like comparing similarities in languages too, like the term for library in most other languages is a form of word mentioning 'bible' like bibliotecka. I was at the auto parts store and they have everything in spanish and english, seeing the similarities in some words are cool. But others that you think you would get based on the whole Latin thing like ovidae are sheep, ovary, oval, then in Russian there is ovidium zapozha which means have a great day. The whole 'ovid' thing there doesn't always transfer from language to language

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 02:13:41 AM »
Yep, Slyfive is right on again...and the piña belongs to the Bromeliad family. And the Portuguese took them from Brazil to Europe and the Brits and Spanish spread them all over the world.

O:O

Watch out or I'll start thinking I'm clever!  :/O

Offline MikeM

• Sly
  • With two ears and 50 pounds of kid.
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 06:46:24 AM »
I agree with npsbg about the words. I can be speaking Russian to friends but when an English word comes up that there is no good Russian word for, I have to use the English form. Something that gets me is all the strange sounds of the letters. In Russian there is 31 letters and 3 symbols and the only time they sound like one another is "B" and "V" sometimes sound similar. Maybe it is how people pronounce words too like most people say Chree, Chruck, Chrew, Chrubble instead of saying it tree, truck, true, trouble, etc..

I like comparing similarities in languages too, like the term for library in most other languages is a form of word mentioning 'bible' like bibliotecka. I was at the auto parts store and they have everything in spanish and english, seeing the similarities in some words are cool. But others that you think you would get based on the whole Latin thing like ovidae are sheep, ovary, oval, then in Russian there is ovidium zapozha which means have a great day. The whole 'ovid' thing there doesn't always transfer from language to language

I'm struggling to understand your post.

In Russian there is 31 letters and 3 symbols and the only time they sound like one another is "B" and "V" sometimes sound similar.

To whom? Could you give an example? I can't imagine Russian speakers confusing "B" and "V."

Maybe it is how people pronounce words too like most people say Chree, Chruck, Chrew, Chrubble instead of saying it tree, truck, true, trouble, etc..

"chr" for "tr" (and "jr" for "r") is not standard/normative English pronunciation. It's common in certain regions -- Appalachia, for example. But nationwide I wouldn't say "most people" at all.

the term for library in most other languages is a form of word mentioning 'bible'

Most other Indo-European languages, maybe? (Kirjasto, toshokan, etc.)

But others that you think you would get based on the whole Latin thing like ovidae are sheep, ovary, oval, then in Russian there is ovidium zapozha which means have a great day. The whole 'ovid' thing there doesn't always transfer from language to language

??? Russian for sheep is "ovets," right?

ovidium zapozha

???

Offline MikeM

• Sly
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 06:52:23 AM »
One advantage of English is that it does adopt words from other languages, rather than create awkward "native" words.

especially when it encompasses similarities in many languages, think of how many languages use 'ananas' or a derivative of it to mean pineapple... check it out.

So why did English form "pineapple" instead of borrowing "ananas"? Is the word "pineapple" awkward?

Slynito

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 08:06:13 AM »
According to Wikipedia...The word Ananas is derived from the Guarani name for the pineapple, via Portuguese. In many languages, pineapple is called "ananas". (When I worked in Paraguay I found that Guarani was also an official language along with Spanish. Interesting, no?)

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 01:32:53 PM »
In Russian there is 31 letters and 3 symbols and the only time they sound like one another is "B" and "V" sometimes sound similar.
To whom? Could you give an example? I can't imagine Russian speakers confusing "B" and "V."
I think he meant that the Cyrillic letter "B" is pronounced more or less similar to the English letter "V", hence confusing the native English speaker.
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 01:56:47 PM »
So why did English form "pineapple" instead of borrowing "ananas"? Is the word "pineapple" awkward?

The first English speakers to see the fruit called it a "pineapple" because it looked like a large pine cone (which were originally called pine apples). 

In my original statement, I meant to draw the contrast with some other languages (countries) where there are strict rules (think French) about adopting foreign words.

:) 

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 02:08:58 PM »
I think he meant that the Cyrillic letter "B" is pronounced more or less similar to the English letter "V", hence confusing the native English speaker.

Sorry if there was any confusion, I was still half asleep when I wrote it this morning.

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 04:46:54 PM »
I was just rereading my post and noticed I said 3 symbols, it is 2 symbols (myakiznak & tvyordiznak). Russian for sheep is ovtsa.
 In Spanish, isn't the word for library also biblioteca? I guess it is all more European based though when it comes to that, I don't know any of the translations for library in southeast asian languages or african languages.

The whole 'tr/chr' thing is what I notice locally and also on tv when I watch it. Seems like movies and everything, the typical US English speakers say it that way. I cannot think of a time when I heard someone on a movie or television show pronounce the distinct 'tr' sound.
 Or looking at the English alphabet, there are useless letters like q which needs to almost always be used with a u, c never really has a purpose other than to help with others, g often sounds like j. Silent letters and everything else just make reading and writing in English can be a pain because of the lack of phonetics.

I brought up ovidiumza pozha because I was talking about how some words you can see similarities but it just doesn't fit. And I gave the false translation because I was messaging someone. The definition is see you later, not have a good day, sorry for confusion.

Offline MikeM

• Sly
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2012, 08:22:55 PM »
I brought up ovidiumza pozha because I was talking about how some words you can see similarities but it just doesn't fit. And I gave the false translation because I was messaging someone. The definition is see you later, not have a good day, sorry for confusion.

Holy crap, that was supposed to be увидимся позже? A better transliteration would be uvidimsia pozzhe. I seriously wasn't getting that from your initial post.

Another note: Yes, word-for-word back into into English, uvidimsia pozzhe is "see you later." But be aware that if you're saying goodbye in Russian you have many other better options. uvidimsia pozzhe does tend to create the impression that you and the other person will indeed be seeing each other later, possibly that day. Are you talking to mostly Russian teenagers? (My Russian's a bit dated these days so take what I say with a grain of salt.) I could see them choosing uvidimsia pozzhe because the construction is similar to English and German and such and it's fashionable to use something calquey instead of more native things like do vstrechi, do svidaniia, poka, nu poka, davai, and so forth.

Edited to add: I'm leaving town for the weekend. Won't be back on the internet until Sunday night.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:04:43 AM by MikeM »

Offline AgeTwentyTwoBaldy

• More sly than a fox
  • Sly
  • Penn State's sly icon
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2012, 10:08:51 AM »
Here's a guy with flawless pronunciation performing the hymn.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 07:06:17 PM »
Beautifully read I have to say