Author Topic: Tim Howard - One classy Sly Bald Guy  (Read 4556 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Tim Howard - One classy Sly Bald Guy
« on: January 05, 2012, 11:45:55 AM »
Soccer/Futbol player Tim Howard recently made a goal from the opposite end of the field from his own goal.  Instead of celebrating, in a sport that is known for over the top celebrations, he didn't.  Why?  This is what he had to say:

"I was delighted...but it's not a nice feeling for a keeper. It's really awful actually."...Howard also reached out to the opposing keeper after the game..."I let him know that I was feeling for him...It's not a nice place to be. I've been there before, a long, long time ago, and that was why I didn't celebrate."

Here's the video:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LFskFNYyLBw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/LFskFNYyLBw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/tim-howard-felt-bad-about-his-incredible-goal-2012-1#ixzz1ibvPATIU

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
Re: Tim Howard - One classy Sly Bald Guy
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 11:50:29 AM »
That was admirable. I totally hate some of these little end-zone celebrations that some of the NFL guys engage in. I always remember the Vince Lombardi statement to his players: "If you get into the end zone try to act like you've been there before". I wish some of the high priced prima donnas in the NFL would act like they've been there before.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 12:17:18 PM »
That was a ton of luck on the kicker's part and a lot more bad luck on the keeper's part. Tom reaction was understandable and admirable.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
nice!
sly looks good on him!
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Slynito

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 12:57:29 PM »
That's an amazing goal...he felt for the opposing keeper and how humiliating it will be for him. He probably fainted inside, but kept his cool. He does wear his bbc well.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 03:29:28 PM »
Played exceptionally well for the US National team. Class Act.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 03:55:11 PM »
He's a Jersey boy and played well when he was here. Man U. noticed him and hired him at that time.

I think I heard that it was the first time in Premier League history that it has ever been done.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 03:59:04 PM by Tom Gallagher »

Offline b.driscoll

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 05:39:05 PM »
   An incredible kick..............the ball just kept going. Howard's humility afterward should be shown to the entire sporting world.  Class personified.

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 07:50:49 PM »