Author Topic: Strange foods you like  (Read 21548 times)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Strange foods you like
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2011, 06:22:36 AM »
Code: [Select]
Goat milk tastes like cows milk but is slightly thicker and more creamy and if you are an ag nut like me, you know that goat meat/milk is way better in the long run than cow because of the impact and conversion ratio of food to milk/meat.
 My grandmother told me stories about the depression when her family would eat robins and squirrel and small animals like that, makes me wonder what its like.
 Im suprised no one has mentioned 'kitty fritters' yet or possum, coon, the like. No one has had cougar or bear or even reindeer milk? Makes me feel like a hillbilly or something
Goat milk is hard to come by but there is a goat dairy near NO that supplies wonderful artisan cheeses and some "cabrito."  It's also sold here at the Halal market that caters to our Muslim population and at the markets catering to our large Hispanic community.  This past spring the Greek Orthodox Cathedral's Greek Fest had goat burgers as one of the offerings--and they were absolutely fabulous.  I've had coon and squirrel once or twice.  But the protected species regulations can limit your consumption of cougar, etc. 
I've heard of, but never tried, robin gumbo that is part of the Cajun cuisine.  I'm not sure if that's a legal game bird either. 

Slynito

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2011, 10:04:11 AM »
Have y'all found a recipe for them ol' Nutrias that have found a home in LA? How 'bout Nutria Gumbo...sounds yummy!

:XX :XX

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2011, 10:11:24 AM »
Have y'all found a recipe for them ol' Nutrias that have found a home in LA? How 'bout Nutria Gumbo...sounds yummy!

:XX :XX
Again, cut out the yelling. :x! :x! :x!
Now, nutria--yes they have cooked them.  One chef at a restaurant on the North Shore of Lake Pontchartrain was sacked for serving it without disclosing it.  They were brought here for the fur trade and when nutria fur didn't go as fast as they multiplied we had a problem--they dig nests in levees, not good >:(.  The late Sheriff if Jefferson Parish, Harry Lee, instituted a program where sharp shooters shot the nutria at night in the drainage canals. 
And, I haven't eaten nutria.  I've tried alligator, and except as alligator cheesecake at Jacque Imo's restaurant, I don't find it very interesting, sort of like turkey or tilapia--no flavor at all really, just a platform for other flavors.   

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2011, 12:50:56 PM »
OK I'll contribute...rattlesnake in a white wine sauce. Tastes like chicken.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2011, 02:53:52 PM »
One thing I could never understand is paying a lot of money for all these exotic foods when they taste like chicken. I'll just have the chicken, please.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2011, 02:54:58 PM »
One thing I could never understand is paying a lot of money for all these exotic foods when they taste like chicken. I'll just have the chicken, please.

YR*(k

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2011, 07:37:17 PM »
Me being in the taxidermy/exotic animal business I get all sorts of meat for free. I had some impeyan pheasant the other day, normally the live bird sells for about $500 and the skin sells for $300 for taxidermy. I skinned it out for a friend and he let me keep the meat, it was pretty good.
 I would never pay more money for something 'exotic' like bison. Around here you can buy a live 1000# bison and have it processed for about $500 and still get about 400-600#s of good meat. Most of the exotics I eat are at BBQ's, things like ostrich, camel, all that fun stuff.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2011, 07:49:49 PM »
Me being in the taxidermy/exotic animal business I get all sorts of meat for free. I had some impeyan pheasant the other day, normally the live bird sells for about $500 and the skin sells for $300 for taxidermy. I skinned it out for a friend and he let me keep the meat, it was pretty good.
 I would never pay more money for something 'exotic' like bison. Around here you can buy a live 1000# bison and have it processed for about $500 and still get about 400-600#s of good meat. Most of the exotics I eat are at BBQ's, things like ostrich, camel, all that fun stuff.

Now if a Lousiana chef found out about this stuff and availablity--we could have a very interesting foodie destination.  Bison Marchand du Vin sauce, pheasant sur cloche--of course.  This could get interesting. 

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2011, 07:55:13 PM »
 > ick ick ick <  - -   Be stickin with White Castle . .   #ng^y

Slynito

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2011, 09:32:25 PM »
today my beautiful 'so' stir fried some veggies, noodles and some pieces of squid...it was so good...and it builds strong bones and muscles.

O0 O0 O0

bbot

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2011, 06:29:59 AM »
Finally a topic we can all sink our teeth into... :D

Well let's see, water buffallo, well that's unusual for my neck of the woods.  Otherwise have eaten the normal assortment of roadkill, racoon, beaver and squirrel.

I attended a wedding reception in chinatown NYC once and was pretty much more comfortable not knowing what some items were. One I was told was sea cucumber.  Believe me, I did not find that it tasted like chicken

In my family, we have always eaten our pancakes with grated cheddar cheese on top, and we always put vinigar on our baked beans. 

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2011, 10:40:20 AM »
Pancakes are like bread around here. Peanut butter & jam, meat and cheese, beans, those are all normal toppings for pancakes at the farmstead. BBQ sauce on everything from lunchmeat sandwiches to cooked fish and twinkies.

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2011, 11:19:18 AM »
On the rare occasion I go to McDonalds (and its rare because my closest one is 20 miles away, and not because its low-class upchuck food), I like to dip my french fries into my milkshake.

I like eating pancakes and waffles with maple syrup and sea salt (or rock salt)

WTF is nutria??

Offline CraftyGuy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2011, 11:22:25 AM »

Thank goodness for chicken .... without it - what the hell would everything taste like?!?   ::)
MikeC

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2011, 11:47:07 AM »
On the rare occasion I go to McDonalds (and its rare because my closest one is 20 miles away, and not because its low-class upchuck food), I like to dip my french fries into my milkshake.

I like eating pancakes and waffles with maple syrup and sea salt (or rock salt)

WTF is nutria??

I think it's a high class rat.

Enter your email address: