Author Topic: Cuban cigars (totally off topic)  (Read 24286 times)

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Cuban cigars (totally off topic)
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2011, 06:35:19 AM »
Looks more like a pastry than a pudding.

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2011, 06:39:03 AM »
Its basically a pancake (crepe) batter, which is baked in the oven. Its not a pudding like chocolate pudding. Its hot and crispy as opposed to cold and slimy :D

The pancakes we have here use a virtually identical recipe to the yorkshire pudding recipe, except the batter is thinner, and then we eat them (usually) with lemon juice and sugar (although I'm a rebel and eat mine with maple syrup). The pancakes you have there (thick and stodgy) arent really too popular here.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2011, 06:40:10 AM »
Apart from that, the recipe is the same (although you missed one ingredient out of yours, which is pepper :D. Some people will use beef dripping too, but then YP becomes heart-attack-on-a-plate)
Right there, a little white pepper, but we usually liberally pepper our roasts before sticking them in the oven so that covers it.  Oh, the fat drippings--that I omitted here, but always use--we pour it in the pan before the batter.  Heart attack, well we don't eat it everyday.  But maybe we should replace the after dinner mints with statins? :D

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2011, 06:42:26 AM »
One of the joys of the language!  "Pudding" is generic for dessert, but Yorkshire Pudding is not a dessert while Christmas Pudding is! 

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2011, 06:47:03 AM »
lol :D

Well I'm a sucker for YP. I can go without the dripping, but I'm always happy to eat YP. I suppose I eat it once a month, if that.

My father used to like it cold, with strawberry jam spread on it.

Eww.

One of the joys of the language!  "Pudding" is generic for dessert, but Yorkshire Pudding is not a dessert while Christmas Pudding is!  

Yup, here most people will call any type of dessert 'pudding' (for example, I'm still hungry, when are we having pudding?). Those who dont call dessert 'pudding' generally call it 'afters'. Anyone who calls it 'dessert' is usually considered a snob who has their head stuck up their ass :D Yorkshire Pudding isnt a pudding in that sense, because its an entree item, or an entree accompaniment. Christmas Pudding is indeed a desert, but its actually a steamed cake :o Christmas Cake is similar to Christmas Pudding, but its baked rather than steamed. And then we could talk about mince pies which dont contain mince (because mince is ground beef, whereas mince pies are made with what you'd call mincemeat) :o

And to make it even more confusing, Toad in the Hole is a Yorkshire Pudding baked with sausages in it. Lincolnshire or Cumberland sausages usually.

Eww. I dont do sausages.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 06:48:55 AM by GSGUK »

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2011, 06:50:25 AM »
Its basically a pancake (crepe) batter, which is baked in the oven. Its not a pudding like chocolate pudding. Its hot and crispy as opposed to cold and slimy :D

The pancakes we have here use a virtually identical recipe to the yorkshire pudding recipe, except the batter is thinner, and then we eat them (usually) with lemon juice and sugar (although I'm a rebel and eat mine with maple syrup). The pancakes you have there (thick and stodgy) arent really too popular here.
I think it's more like popover batter--acts the same, the egg puffs the whole bit up.  Those preprepared things--not too appetizing, but I'm more than a little put off by prepared and processed foods--we rarely use canned or frozen anything.  I'm more into anything is good if it's properly and freshly prepared, and anything not prepared well isn't too inviting.  I like to know what's in my food and prepackaged ingredient lists often sound like they are putting plastic and industrial chemicals in much too liberally.  It means shopping almost everyday to get fresh ingredients, but it's worth it for the taste, texture and satisfaction that we know what's going down the gullet.  Ice cream--yes that preprepared, preferably from a local dairy.  We do use preprepared jams and jellies, but prefer the homemade variety that we're lucky enough to get from relatives who have citrus trees and blueberries.  I also used commercial pasta mostly, Dreamfields, with reduced available carbs, but that's for health reasons.  I prefer freshly made pasta but that takes commitment and time that I don't always have.  Fresh spinach pasta, from scratch is a totally different experience from dry or commercial "fresh" pasta and worth the effort several times a year particularly in the spring when fresh spinach is available from the farmer's market--from the field to the pot in less than 24 hours. :@`

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2011, 06:58:17 AM »
I dont like fresh pasta too much. Im not a fan of pre-prepared meals at all, no matter what they are, but especially if they contain meat.

I'm very very fussy about the meat that goes in my mouth, and if I havent prepared it myself, I usually cant eat it, and this is especially true of chicken.

However, the exception to this is McDonalds. I dont think twice about eating a QPWC, yet I couldnt eat a similar hamburger from Burger King or anywhere else.

Please note I live in a country where you can buy breakfast in a can. Eggs, bacon, sausages, baked beans, and mushrooms. You just open it, throw it in the microwave, and chew. Or you can eat it on toast. And you swill it down with tea (sweetened with sugar and weakened with milk)

Eww. EWW. EWW

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2011, 07:53:10 PM »
Awesome dialogue You guys. I enjoyed it a lot.

I quit smoking 36 + years ago when cigarettes were $.65 a pack. This was the best move I ever made. Sure wish that I never would have sarted.

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2011, 07:54:55 PM »
Awesome dialogue You guys. I enjoyed it a lot.

I quit smoking 36 + years ago when cigarettes were $.65 a pack. This was the best move I ever made. Sure wish that I never would have sarted.

:o

36 years? You dont look old enough

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2011, 07:59:41 PM »
:o I just saw in your profile that you're 64?? :o In your picture you look around 45 :o

I think I'll have to move to Minnesota to preserve my gorgeous, youthful looks! :D

Slynito

« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2011, 08:19:58 AM »

One of the joys of the language!  "Pudding" is generic for dessert

"...if you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding"