Author Topic: I'm thinking of shaving my head but...  (Read 3029 times)

Offline 2FNfun

• Learning the way of Sly
  • well folks i did it.
I'm thinking of shaving my head but...
« on: June 14, 2011, 09:11:25 PM »
Im 18 and since i was little i have had dandruff like flakes that stay against my scalp, itchy scalp and a very red inflamed scalp. I cut my hair to about 1 1/2" on the top and so far the flakes have been reduced somewhat but my scalp is still tomato red also with this my hairline has gone from straight across to high temples i have been hiding this by wearing a bandanna...if anyone has had this before i would appreciate any advice on whether to shave my head or any remedies that could be used. And lately i tried Salicylic Acid shampoo.

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: I'm thinking of shaving my head but...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 07:55:56 AM »
Naturally I would encourage you to pick up that razor and go for it. However, before you do, please make an appointment with a Dermatologist. Fully furred or shiny bald, that red scalp needs some professional attention. Being Sly wouldn't make the red go away, it will just make people wonder what's wrong with your scalp. Please do this. There's also this, if you've already got an inflamed scalp, a razor might aggravate the problem. Let us know what the Doctor says and, again, don't go any farther until you've seen one.

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 09:28:49 AM »
Agreed.  Derm Doc before anything else, especially scraping the scalp.  Sorry, but that's what a razor does to some degree along with cutting hairs, whatever lube and lather you might use, and it sounds as if it would be a disaster for you in particular. 

Offline 2FNfun

• well folks i did it.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 10:58:41 AM »
well i took the first step and buzzed it down to 1/8" from my scalp. the flakes are gone and the redness has been reduced to two small patches. I put aloe vera on (i have an actual plant not store bought) and lotion and my scalp doesnt feel on fire at all! hopefully next week i can become fully sly!

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 12:02:34 PM »
Welcome to the forum 2FN, you've come to the right place. Sounds like you've already decided to shave.
There are a couple of members here who have had great relief from redness/sebhorreic dermatitis since they've shaved. I know our man Schro is one of them, and I'm sure he can give you a bit more input on this.
Good luck with it.

Offline 2FNfun

• well folks i did it.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 12:25:12 PM »
Thank you! and yes i have talked to schro im still very hesitant to shave it completely because of the redness