Author Topic: Head and facial tattoos.  (Read 10058 times)

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
Head and facial tattoos.
« on: June 13, 2011, 06:42:43 PM »
Today when I was in Target, I saw a individual with not just tattoos, but they were all over his bald head and face. I don't have any tattoos or piercings.  I am not against people who have them, just don't want them for myself.  But I have a question and observation.  If there are any here with total head coverage tattoos, why did you get them?   I can understand having some body art.  But to me it seems that total head and face tattoos can make someone look like a freak.  It also seems that it can make a person have a harder time to get a job, amongst other things.  I keep thinking that tats are permanent and while you can over up many parts of your body, do you really want to create a obstacle for success?  Unfortunately, people are judgemental.  Anyway, I am not trying to stir up a hornet's nest.  Just want to understand!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Head and facial tattoos.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 09:44:33 PM »
Tat2guy has full coverage of his head.  Maybe he will answer.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 09:47:35 PM »
Jimmy Buffett has a song about tattoos....called

"Permanent Reminder of a Temporary Feeling"

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 08:07:13 AM »
"Tattoo in haste; repent at leisure."

I see a lot of very elaborate tats these days and wonder just what they will look like in twenty or thirty years.  At least from what I see of what are "old style" tattoos, there's the clear chance of blurring and fading, but maybe new techniques/inks make that less likely.

Well, for those who want 'em, get 'em. 

Me, my only tats are three small dots on my belly placed for the alignment of the beam for my (now some years ago) radiation for prostate cancer.

Offline TxTa2Guy

• Sly Jr.
  • Bald By Choice since August 24, 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 09:23:03 AM »
I saw a individual with not just tattoos, but they were all over his bald head and face. I don't have any tattoos or piercings. ...  But I have a question and observation.  If there are any here with total head coverage tattoos, why did you get them?  ...  But to me it seems that total head and face tattoos can make someone look like a freak.
I have given my opinion about all of these issues on my web page in the following articles:

http://tattooguy.org/regret.htm

http://tattooguy.org/sixty-four.htm

They are lengthy articles, with some humor, sarcasm, and truth.
If the issues you raised really interest you, they might be worth your time.  I would appreciate your feedback.

FREAK is in the eyes of the beholder.

Unfortunately, people are judgemental.
I don't see that you are, but SOME sure are.

Anyway, I am not trying to stir up a hornet's nest.  Just want to understand!
You didn't stir up anything. The tattoo issue has been around for thousands of years and is not going away.

Like shaving your head or doing a combover, tattoo is something that many people will never understand.

Offline TxTa2Guy

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 09:28:22 AM »

Yeah that is profound. Ole Jimmy drank way more tequila than I ever did.  I was sober nearly two years before I got any tattoos. I therefore do not relate to his opinion.

"Tattoo in haste; repent at leisure."

I have no regrets and nothing to repent!

Offline schro

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 10:06:38 AM »

Yeah that is profound. Ole Jimmy drank way more tequila than I ever did.  I was sober nearly two years before I got any tattoos. I therefore do not relate to his opinion.

Glad to hear it.
Not being judgemental, just mentioning a song. I personally have no objection to tattoos, they're just not for me.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 10:11:51 AM by schro »

Offline TxTa2Guy

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 10:52:41 AM »
Glad to hear it.
Not being judgemental, just mentioning a song. I personally have no objection to tattoos, they're just not for me.

Sure. But Jimmy perpetuates the loser image of "stewed, screwed and tattooed" that nobody ever gets tattooed unless he is drunk out of his mind. Might be true of him, but not true for most tattooed people I know.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 11:13:02 AM »
do you really want to create a obstacle for success? 

Having a few tats myself, only one of which is visible when wearing short sleeves, I think that it is too bad that our society has devolved to such a level of superficiality. I know that we do live in the real world and that potential employers are going to be judgmental about those of us with ink rather than evaluate others based on qualities like honor and character. But that, it seems, is what we're all about.....form over function. So because of ink, which is regarded as honorable in some societies, we look at the person predominantly from the outside and make our evaluations based only on what we see.
I think that we miss out on a lot of real value by making our determinations in this manner.
Just my opinion.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline schro

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 11:53:09 AM »
Glad to hear it.

Sure. But Jimmy perpetuates the loser image of "stewed, screwed and tattooed" that nobody ever gets tattooed unless he is drunk out of his mind. Might be true of him, but not true for most tattooed people I know.

Haven't put much thought into it. Most people I know that have tattoos put a lot of thought into whatever artwork they chose to permanently put on their body. Although one guy I know fit the bill of your stewed screwed and tattooed label. Funny stuff.

Nor have I put much thought into JB perpetuating a stereotype. I just enjoy his music.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 12:01:21 PM by schro »

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 03:40:01 PM »
Id love a head tatoo not sure my other half would like it . The other one id like is a neck tatto of a swallow notso surit wud be good for work though

Offline Vash

• Be Kind For Everyone You Meet Is Fighting A Hard Battle
  • Super Sly
  • Bald, Bearded, Tattooed, Awesome!
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 05:33:03 PM »
Speaking just for myself...

Both my arms are sleeved, the backs of both hands, my knuckles on both hands and I have a large tattoo of a skull and crossed spoons on my head and neck behind my right ear. Covering them would not only be inconvenient at this point, it'd look pretty darn weird.

I get all of my tattoos first and foremost, because I want them and I have no desire, under any circumstances to cover them. This isn't done to alienate anyone or to be in any ones face, so to speak. My tattoos are an expression of who I am. Just as my choices in clothing, hairstyle (shaved head), etc are expressions of those same things. They are my art collection. I feel more and more like "myself" with each new piece.

My personal definition of success doesn't include working in any industry or for any employer where these would be a problem. Some folks place their own personal comfort in their own skin above the amount of money they make, or level of societal success.

When I am older my skin will wrinkle and sag. I'll lose my hair (if I weren't shaving it), my teeth, my vision will worsen, my hearing too. It's inevitable. I can't and won't deny myself my self expression, my feeling of becoming more me based on what I will look like when I'm older. I simply don't care.

Being tattooed, for me at least, isn't just about aesthetics.

Maybe the person you saw is a professional tattoo artist or body piercer. Maybe they are a musician, artist, side show performer, fire dancer, or any one of a dozen other artistic professions in which being heavily tattooed might not only not be a detriment, but an advantage and an aid to their "success". Maybe they work in an industry where appearance is secondary to performance like construction, or (as is my case) the culinary arts. Hell, maybe they are independently wealthy and don;t need to worry about financial "success".

Words like "Freak" and "Success" are very, very subjective. Some folks think shaving off all your hair makes a person look like a "scary" or like a "freak"  ;)
~Vash

FB: Vashon Bench
Twitter: @gingerbeardpdx
Instagram: @gingerbeardpdx

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 05:55:37 PM »
Words like "Freak" and "Success" are very, very subjective. Some folks think shaving off all your hair makes a person look like a "scary" or like a "freak"  ;)

I couldn't agree with you more Vash, if someone won't employ me because of my tattoos (also sleeved up), then I wouldn't want to be an employee of someone so superficial, I am highly qualified and a diligent worker... fortunately that has also allowed me to be successfully self employed, and I'm a musician so it isn't really frowned upon too much.

I wouldn't be me without my ink, I drew most of it myself and got it redrawn by my artist. It is all an intensely personal expression of who I am, that, short of skinning me, no one can take away from me no matter what happens or how poor I get.

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 08:32:56 PM »
Hey guys!

Thanks for the discussions and explanations!  While I will be content with my hairless noggin, I have to say that it would be pretty boring if everyone was the same!

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 10:09:28 PM »
That sure is true. I think it's all about doing things for the right reason... for example, we're all sly because it empowers us in a positive way. By the way Marshd, I have always admire your bald/beard combo!

Enter your email address: