Author Topic: Amazon Kindle. Anybody got one?  (Read 5560 times)

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Amazon Kindle. Anybody got one?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 06:01:36 AM »
I cannot resist "owning" a book. The distinct new book smell, the slight crack as it's opened for the first time, the way it gets stained from use over decades. Kindle, whether it talks to me or not, costs money and then one has to buy the "book" and at, to me, what are not justifiable prices. And there's another point, my local bookseller allows one to return a book (within three days) if it wasn't what was wanted. But enjoy yours. I can see the virtue of an entertaining companion on long road trips.

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 09:55:31 AM »
I find I PREFER it to a hard copy book.  It's lighter, I can read one-handed easily, I can change the font size (which at my age is HUGE) and it fits just about anywhere, including my cargo pockets in my geek pants.

As for surfing?  Meh.  My Android phone surfs better I'm afraid.
One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline Rob-Raz

• Super Sly
  • Me and my girls
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2011, 05:43:38 AM »
Compared to other e-readers...the E-ink in the Kindle is unmatched for outside reading or just eye strain in general. As previously mentioned...Calibre software can add quite a bit to the whole experience.  I also just read that the Kindle will soon be updating its software to work with the library e-pub format, so if you have a library card....skys the limit on reading!!  To me that was the only negative to the Kindle was no e-pub....so now I would rate it as top of the line.  Since the wife has dominated ours   >:(  I have been debating getting another myself.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2011, 07:21:48 AM »
What is Calibre Software and how does one go about getting it?

Also, with the e-pub I heard that regular lending time limits are going to be in effect. I don't know if the book will just disappear from the Kindle after 2 weeks or what. I will avail myself of e-pub but I have to remember not to skip around in my library like I do with the books I bought.

Disregard my question. I had missed Dawdler's link. I'm gonna go watch it now.  
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 07:27:00 AM by buddha »
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 05:07:37 PM »
Still waiting for an e-reader that will display e-comics in full color