Author Topic: Any SLY Do-It-Yourself Guys? (I mean home improvement......)  (Read 6621 times)

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
Re: Any SLY Do-It-Yourself Guys? (I mean home improvement......)
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 07:00:44 AM »
Hey - I do most of my "stuff" myself.  Ranging from refinishing work to new windows, etc.
Though I will agree with Joe - the roof and I don;t get along.  This is only a one floor ranch but I still freeze up on the roof - can force myself to get some things done up there but it's a good way to get hurt so big roof projects get somebody called in.

Also can not manage to do plasterwork so the den will get a pro to put in the new ceiling.  Floor, walls, windows, electric I'll take care of but the overhead sheet work-- that I'll pay for.
TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

seahawk guy

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 07:50:43 AM »
Yes, I do everything around the house and garden. Love woodwork/carpentry. I'll have a go at anything.
Have a mate who is absolutely useless - he admits it. According to him DIY stands for "Don't Involve Yourself".

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 06:40:02 AM »
diy - dont interfere yourself  ;D

The house would fall down if I tried anything
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 06:03:53 PM »
As a Physicist I'm not expected to be able to be clever about the house. However, should you want to vastly cut down on your electric bills, and ,actually, be able to sell  power to the neighbors I'll be happy to build you a garden size thermonuclear reactor. Your choice of delivery modes, UPS or ICBM . Be the first in your neighborhood to be considered part of the Brotherhood of Nuclear Nations. And don't worry about those pesky folks from the Atomic Energy Commission. Just threaten to drain the cooling pool and they'll leave right away. The slight radioactive emissions can be used to irradiate fruits and vegetables and with only a little work, the whole thing can be made to look like an attractive garden water feature.

Offline texanron

• Sly
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 10:24:10 AM »
I did a remodel on the dining room of my house. Ripped out all the old outdated carpet which revealed that the whomever did the wall paper job got that white crap all over the floor which had to be removed before I could work on the concrete floor. We went the concrete staining route which saved us a few bucks and we really like the finshed look. Removed all the old crown molding, base boardds and door trim and replaced it with a natural oak look. Stripped the paint off the wall, applied a primer and then finally repainted the walls. It took me about 4 months but it was worth it.

Offline Highguage

• We're all born bald
  • Sly Jr.
  • Love it smooth
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 03:56:26 PM »
I do all my own renovations.
Bald is the new black!

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 05:20:51 PM »
I like to play with electricity so I add/change lighting, outlets, ceiling fans...  In the 2 houses I've owned, I added whole house audio/video systems, alarms, and remote repeaters.  I have a full stereo setup in the basement and speakers/volume controls in every room.  Universal touchscreen remotes in each room and control the system in the basement with IR repeaters.  The cable box and DVD/Blu-ray players in the basement also play in every room with full remote controllability.

I do lot's of other little things like fix dry wall, paint, caulk, tinted the windows, plumbing when necessary (I hate that  :Xo!) and many various other things.  If I had the time, I'd do a lot more.  I hate living in the remodel mess so it is in effort to get motivated to start something.

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 05:51:22 PM »
I am always a DIY guy ever since I was a kid and we had projects around the house. We go and see how something is done and do it here on the farmstead. A good example is when I was living with my brother who is an electrician. He wanted a larger living room but didnt want to loose a room. I was sitting in the hot tub one night and it came to me-use the garage. He never used it for anything since it was so small anyway so I suggested turning it into a bedroom and knocking down the wall between the living room and spare room to enlarge the living room. One day while his wife was away on vacation we knocked down the wall and got it mostly done much to his wife's dismay. She loves it now which is a good thing.

Something we're getting ready to do here is rip up the carpet and put down some of the floating wood floor, the kind that just snaps together. Here on the farm carpet is a bad idea since we have livestock. Everything gets tracked in and we are always cleaning the carpet

Slynito

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 07:23:49 PM »
I've always done about every fix up or dyi around the homestead. I'd like to replace my roof with a metal roof. I've built many tin roofs on barns, but this may be trickier.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 07:25:41 PM by Slynito »

Enter your email address: