Author Topic: problem dealing with this...  (Read 17959 times)

jusbnme

Re: problem dealing with this...
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 08:27:34 PM »
Welcome RuddyR.  I'm probably just going to end up echoing what my other sly bros have said but I would shave it, or clip it if that makes you feel more comfortable for now, and give at least a month so the awkward period will pass.  Because you will probably be a little shocked by it at first but it will pass given enough time.  Good luck man.  O0

Offline RuddyR

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 08:59:41 PM »
Welcome RuddyR.  I'm probably just going to end up echoing what my other sly bros have said but I would shave it, or clip it if that makes you feel more comfortable for now, and give at least a month so the awkward period will pass.  Because you will probably be a little shocked by it at first but it will pass given enough time.  Good luck man.  O0

thanks man :)
You'll be the first ones to know when it happens....

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2007, 10:28:07 PM »
Ruddy,

You'll never know till you try it!  I wish I had done it years ago!   O:O

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2007, 11:38:52 PM »
You can either raise money to shave it through St. Baldricks (http://www.stbaldricks.org or donate it to Wigs For Kids (http://wigsforkids.org/).  If you're looking for an excuse to tell your friends why you shaved it, these are two great excuses.  Also, it will get you sympathy points with the chicks!  (You were all thinking it...LOL)
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 01:06:41 AM »
I dont talk about it with ANYONE. A couple of my buddies are in worst shape. Everyone knows theyre balding, but no one talks about it. They know im balding too, but again, not a word about it is said. I think its sort of an unspoken, hidden social club that we're all in. I look at his hair, he looks at mine, we look at eachother for 2 seconds knowing we're thinking about the same thing and just move on.

welcome Ruddy....heres what ya do...gather up all your buddys that are balding in one place and TALK about it....just come right out and say it..."hey we're all going bald..what are we gonna do about it"...then ask them what they think about shaving their heads...if they say no..say "well i been thinking about it and i'm GONNA do it......anyone in on this?",explain to them that you dont want to take drugs or get transplants or try to hide it.... maybe a few will shave with ya ...also do the donate the hair thing...if someone asks you why you did it..you did it to donate for cancer research...win win situation...

i get anxiety also...it sucks..but let me tell you...its ALOT better now that i've shaved it off....i used to avoid any situation that i couldnt wear a hat ...and thats alot of things in life i've missed..stop it before it gets worst.

dont fall for the plugs and drugs and rugs....you dont want to look like this later in life...

VIVA LA SLY REVOLUCION!!!

Offline RuddyR

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2007, 01:04:35 PM »
I dont talk about it with ANYONE. A couple of my buddies are in worst shape. Everyone knows theyre balding, but no one talks about it. They know im balding too, but again, not a word about it is said. I think its sort of an unspoken, hidden social club that we're all in. I look at his hair, he looks at mine, we look at eachother for 2 seconds knowing we're thinking about the same thing and just move on.

welcome Ruddy....heres what ya do...gather up all your buddys that are balding in one place and TALK about it....just come right out and say it..."hey we're all going bald..what are we gonna do about it"...then ask them what they think about shaving their heads...if they say no..say "well i been thinking about it and i'm GONNA do it......anyone in on this?",explain to them that you dont want to take drugs or get transplants or try to hide it.... maybe a few will shave with ya ...also do the donate the hair thing...if someone asks you why you did it..you did it to donate for cancer research...win win situation...

i get anxiety also...it sucks..but let me tell you...its ALOT better now that i've shaved it off....i used to avoid any situation that i couldnt wear a hat ...and thats alot of things in life i've missed..stop it before it gets worst.

dont fall for the plugs and drugs and rugs....you dont want to look like this later in life...

i actually thought about that. Its not a bad idea. I was thinking of sort of starting to admit that im balding jokingly, so at least that way, i dont seem like that super embarrassed bald guy who wears a hat with a suit type and eventually they'll jump on the boat. Might make it easier to brush the awkwardness away. Seems to me that its only a matter of someone breaking the ice first.
Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 01:07:04 PM by RuddyR »

Offline blondeguy

• Super Sly
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2007, 04:27:08 PM »
Once you shave, you'll feel much more confident and realize it wasn't as big a deal as you thought it was.  Part of the fun is showing people your new look!  I strutted all over town the weekend after I shaved.  O:O

Give it a shot!

Offline gsxr60097

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 06:20:54 PM »
Your not being immature about the situation.  Losing your hair is a tough thing to go through.  The younger you are the harder it is on you.  I take drugs right now and let me tell you it is not worth it.  Except the fact that I tell myself I did what could be done to save my hair.  But that only goes so far.  I too am on the fence of buzzing my head and I gaurantee I have less hair than you do but I am 29.  I didn't do it yet but am tired of obsessing about combing my hair a certain way and I don't want to take drugs anymore.  I am with you on the being scared part.  I will do it when I am ready.

One thing to do it get your hair cut shorter and shorter.  It makes the transition a bit easier.  Good luck

One other thing is that I always crack jokes about losing my hair and I don't hide under a hat, ever.

Offline ShavedDave

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2007, 07:13:40 PM »
Hi,

My names Ruddy and im a 22 year old college student. Id like to start off by saying that im pretty happy i found this forum. I wasnt really looking for one til about 20 min ago...mostly cause its a boring night, got tired of studying for my exams and all my roommates are home for the weekend, so i thought; "why not".

Heres my story. I think im balding! I started noticing a "thinning" look when i was a senior in high school. I didnt think much of it i guess. It was just a; "hmm, thats weird..oh well" kinda thing. But over the years, ive noticed that my hair has been thinning more and more, and the tell u guys the truth, its eating me up inside..pretty bad too. My family and friends know im losing my lush, theyre not stupid, but they never say anything about it. I feel like everytime i take off my baseball cap - which by the way i never leave the house without  :-\ - i feel like everyones looking at my hair and thinking; "oh, Ruddy's balding," so i never take it off. When im on the bus, i always compare my hair to other guys' and try to accept the fact that "its okay". Sometimes i feel a little releived spotting a guy my age whos losing it too, makes me feel like im not the only one and maybe, just maybe, i could feel fine about it...but i never do. I just keep my hat on and pretend that its not happening to me...maybe it'll go away.

I buzzed my head once - lost a bet, long story - it felt pretty good, but i didnt look good. My heads got a weird shape and it made me feel even worst..soooo embarrassing. I always had long hair, ever since i can remember and the fact that i wont have any in a few years is killing me. Im so self-conscious about it. I dont talk about it with ANYONE. A couple of my buddies are in worst shape. Everyone knows theyre balding, but no one talks about it. They know im balding too, but again, not a word about it is said. I think its sort of an unspoken, hidden social club that we're all in. I look at his air, he looks at mine, we look at eachother for 2 seconds knowing we're thinking about the same thing and just move on. Im not really crying and complaining about all this. I know im balding, i know i'll be regularly shaving my head in a couple of years but i think im just dumbfounded that its happening. I also dont know how to deal with it..emotionally

I dont really know where im going with this, I kinda felt like opening up i guess...see what you experts would say. I lurked around before registering and thought; "hey, these guys are pretty cool". What do u guys think?

*brings in a smooth, cool case of beers for everyone*
CHEERS!

Ruddy!

WOW Wish I could wave a magic wand and make you feel better. I started loosing my hair at your age and being a 70's guy... it drove me crazy. Long hair in my teens. Loosing my hair in my early 20's,  I thought I was not attractive and much more. In my early 30's I chose to get hair transplants. Long story. Then I wore hair... More long story... I was told I was attractive with the fake hair but, still not the same... Shaved it just before Christmas of 2006. Now I just don't give a damn what they say. This is me. Bottom line: I still have a problem dealing with this....
Rolling out the red carpet,
Best Regards,
Shaveddave

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2007, 07:50:01 PM »

WOW Wish I could wave a magic wand and make you feel better. I started loosing my hair at your age and being a 70's guy... it drove me crazy. Long hair in my teens. Loosing my hair in my early 20's,  I thought I was not attractive and much more. In my early 30's I chose to get hair transplants. Long story. Then I wore hair... More long story... I was told I was attractive with the fake hair but, still not the same... Shaved it just before Christmas of 2006. Now I just don't give a damn what they say. This is me. Bottom line: I still have a problem dealing with this....

I think most of us have appearance-related insecurities.  And in my experience, if it's not your hair, it's something else.  I started obsessing over mine in my early 20s when I first noticed it was beginning to thin and recede.  I checked it on a daily basis to see if it was getting worse or not.  It progressed so slowly, and for a long time it was not really obvious to others, but I dreaded the day when it did become obvious.

Eventually, I shaved my head and that was the end of my hair worries.  I was happy for a while, but then the novelty wore off and I started to obsess over my weak chin, which seemed more noticeable now that I didn't have hair on my head for people to focus on.   So I grew a goatee to cover up the weak chin.  Then I started to obsess over my weight.  I joined a gym , built up some muscle and lost some fat. I am finally starting to feel better about that but I'm still fighting that battle.  If and when I ever win that war, I'm sure I will find something else that I don't like about myself.

Bottom line:  none of us is perfect and we're often our own harshest critics.  When was the last time you saw a bald guy and thought, "Oh my God, that guy is REALLY bald."  You just don't because you see bald guys every day and don't think anything of it.  And other people don't think anything one way or the other about your bald head.  Just do the best you can with what God gave you to work with.  That's all any of us can do in the end.

Offline Dtopford

• Sly
  • after the shave
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2007, 12:31:48 AM »
Ruddy man heres what ya do don't joke and play and BS with your buddies about going bald. Walk up to them on Monday and tel them Dude guess what I am shaving my head. Then leave it at that if they ask you why tell them summer is coming and I want a new look.

The feeling you get the first time you put that balde to your head is awsome. It is so damn liberating I can't describe it. Thats what I did I told my friends and co workers I am doing it tonight. I am sure some thought I was just BSing but the next day I walked into work shaved down to the scalp. I also walked in like I owned the place.

You know what happened I got a few it looks real goods and I got a head rub by a woman I work with that tld me she hated shaved heads. LOL she rubbed my head for the better part of a minute. Now when she sees me the first thing she does is comes over to see if I shaved that day.

If you put your I am the badest most good loking guy and I own any room I walk into atitude on I guarantee that you will love your new look.

No more barbers no more OMG can they tell no more combing your hair a particular way even if you don't like it that way.

For me it was the barber whenever I watched him cut the top of my head it was down right depressing.
Now I don't give a damn what any one thinks.

Good luck with your decision man trust me if you give it a shot you will be like hells yea.

Offline Ian

• UK Baldie
  • Super Sly
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2007, 12:48:45 AM »

Its like driving a Kia and buying an M5 the next day. People are gonna be shocked!

Shocked maybe but just think of the respect & looks you would get !!
I know what i would do.
I knew I was going bald when it was taking longer and longer to wash my face

Offline Blagadan

• Super Sly
  • Feckin' little baldy eejit!
    • My blog: Raiméis
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2007, 10:43:16 AM »
Welcome to the gang Ruddy!

You're lucky in one sense ... you can wear a cap.  I have a small funny shaped head and can't find a baseball cap that will actually fit.  That always annoyed me. 
Ya know what though?  It's all about attitude.  Now I just couldn't give a sh1t about my little funny shaped head or what people think of it.  I know my parents dislike the shaved look but I don't care because I like it. It feels good and it has given me more confidence.

My personal feeling is that you will always feel troubled by this issue unless you actually take steps to challenge it head on, 'cuse the pun.  And the only way to do that is to shave in my opinion (maybe not totally but i'd be going down to a 2 or less on the trimmer).  Cut it down and show people you're not bothered by losing your hair.  People will probably respect that and you should get a confidence boost.

"I dont think my self-esteem is ready for such a giant change" 

I think your self esteem will get a boost!  Taking the bull by the horns on such issues is always great for the self confidence!

Offline RuddyR

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2007, 12:59:25 PM »
thanks everybody. Looks like its a lot easier to encourage shaving your head once youve actually done it. I bet you guys debated with yourselves and wondered whether or not shaving it would be the best idea. I know that once i do it i'll feel alright with it but right now, its a matter of actually doing it. Its like i said earlier, i'll wait til schools done and then i'll feel a little better in shaving it off. I'll send you guys before and after pics aswell, of course  :x!

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2007, 01:19:32 PM »
thanks everybody. Looks like its a lot easier to encourage shaving your head once youve actually done it. I bet you guys debated with yourselves and wondered whether or not shaving it would be the best idea. I know that once i do it i'll feel alright with it but right now, its a matter of actually doing it. Its like i said earlier, i'll wait til schools done and then i'll feel a little better in shaving it off. I'll send you guys before and after pics aswell, of course  :x!

Well Ruddy, it's hard to tell people to shave your head if you don't have the stones to do it yourself.
That being said, I feel awesome now that I've done it, and never plan on being anything but SLY the rest of my life. I never really debated (should I?, will I look good?). I just resigned myself to the fact that a "Horseshoe of Hair" was in my future and was OK with it. I already was married to an incredible lady, and my life was pretty damn good. So, no real indecision once I made the commitment to a sly lifestyle.

I think DTop's idea of telling people you're going to do it is a good one. It holds you accountable. Plus, the look is bold and the feeling of self-confidence is pretty damn awesome. You don't have to worry about going bald...DUDE, YOU'RE ALREADY THERE. No horseshoes, no attempts to hide it, you'll wear it PROUDLY.

Step up to the plate.
Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.