Author Topic: Reception of Inception?  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
Reception of Inception?
« on: July 17, 2010, 03:23:23 PM »
Hot as the hinges here, today, so I decided I needed A/C this afternoon, rather than lurk in my one A/C'd room, so went to the noon-time matinee of what is supposedly the summer's blockbuster.

I'm surprised I did not like it more.  Maybe I'm getting too old, but I eventually got lost in the layers and the players (especially when all got into snow camouflage, head coverings, and goggles.  Just who WAS who?.

I thought it needlessly baroque in some ways, and I felt the "Rosebud" moment in the (homage to "2001"?) vault (the pinwheel fan) was a bit obvious (if baroque and non-baroque can co-exist).  Throwaway references (quite pointless) to M. C. Escher, and, of course, the O'Henry teaser/twist at the final shot.  I thought, "Oh, please."  Some of the visuals, of course, were quite arresting, but the story, no matter how generous I try to be, was confused and confusing.

Anyone else not care for the flick?  BTW, I saw not one Sly in the whole thing, save one character who aged to antiquity and lost all his hair along the way, and gained more wrinkles than my rayon shirt has in it.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Reception of Inception?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 02:30:56 PM »
While reading this review I was thinking, "Wow... I'm thinking Ming didn't like this movie"....... but then a single question came to mind.

Do you really wear rayon????      ;)
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 02:40:16 PM »
Pre-wrinkled rayon shirt? HOT!  ;)
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 04:32:24 PM »
Let's not let this degenerate into fashionista fascism.  Actually, the "rayon shirt" was a mistaken purchase that's been lying around with some other rejects or those of which one can say, "they don't quite fit...at the moment, of course," in heaps in the bedroom (closet space; bureau space--none left) gathering age and mildew.

No, I did not "hate" the movie, but it did not much like it, either.  If I were ranking it on Amazon.com, it'd be a "3" at best.