Author Topic: Bumps and rash and 30 day rule question  (Read 2657 times)

Offline Kojak

• Ich bin ein Berliner
  • Sly
  • Hang out with Stevie Ray in my Nations Capital
    • I make pinup art
Bumps and rash and 30 day rule question
« on: July 12, 2010, 11:38:49 AM »
Gonna make this short and sweet.

I am a newbie first shave was on 7/7/2010 and have shaved every day since, despite a minor case of bumps and rash. I have not cut or nicked my dome yet, but I have had skin irritation which has resulted in a rash near my lower neck. I have continued to shave everyday regardless of the rash, and have even shaved off some of the bumps causing bleeding.

Here is my question. Should I wait till the bumps heal before continuing to shave?

I am trying to shave everyday like suggested in the 30 day rule. The bumps seem to be going away. I changed razors and am applying less pressure on the 3rd shave and I think that is the correction I needed to avoid the bumps.

Follow up question, if I should wait during the 30 day rule, till the bumps go away, should I also wait in the future (post 30 day rule) when my skin and technique are better?

Thanks

"Who loves ya, baby?"~Kojak~

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Bumps and rash and 30 day rule question
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 12:40:16 PM »
Blood is nature's way of saying, take a break. 
But, are you using an non-oil based astringent after shaving, such as hydrogen peroxide or witch hazel.  Keeping the freshly scraped grape clean is essential.  Also, a mild anti-acne soap, such as Cuticura, will also help.  Wash the dome a couple of times a day--the hair, such as it was did absorb some of the dirt that now lands on your skin.  Also, change your pillowcases regularly.  Keeping it clean will help keep it clear.

Offline kenny57028

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 12:53:19 PM »
I think you could take a day off for the bumps, and maybe shave a bit more gently.
The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the Past better than it was,
the Present worse than it is & the future less resolved than it will be.

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 01:49:24 PM »
Definitely take a break for a day or two.  What is your routine?  Sink or Shower?  Let us know, I'm sure we can help.  Oh yeah and Welcome!

Offline lifeinthesouth

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 02:44:52 PM »
Take a break, Some like the shave everyday but, personally I only shave about every 3rd day, the sandpaper feel doesn't bother me and I like the look. I don't have problems with rashes anymore, even when I do take a spell of shaving 2-3 days straight.
 The thing about a shaved head,  ie: being sly, is finding what works for you and enjoying the new look. 

Offline Kojak

• Ich bin ein Berliner
  • Sly
    • I make pinup art
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 02:51:32 PM »
Well my routine is somewhat in the experimental phase.

I have been shaving at the sink. I think the first shave was what caused most of the problem. I soaked my hair with hot towels for about 10 minutes, and I used Secret Shave oil and a Schick Xtreme 3 Disposable Razors to shave with. It felt very comfortable and I went first WTG and ATG. I think I may have been applying to much pressure and have gone over the same area to much. For post shave I used Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion to sooth the skin. I applied it directly after towel drying my dome, without the use of any type of aftershave, peroxide, or any other products.

On my 3rd - 5th shave I switched over to my Gillette Mach3 and I used the Secret Shave Oil as a base lubricant and put Gillette Gel on top of it. The combo of the razor and the oil base with the gel was amazing. I used the same post shave lotion.

This morning my 6th shave was done in the shower and It was a great shave as well.

I think I need to try a little rest and some of the witch hazel or peroxide as part of my post shave ritual.
If I had to guess the main problem was bearing down to hard combined with shaving skin that had never been shaved before.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 11:23:38 AM »
Welcome to SBG's forum, good to have you with us.

Sounds to me like you're getting the bumps under control. A couple of pointers I can recommend are definitely try Witch Hazel for after shaving, it really helps and it's a great toner.

Also make it a point to try Bald Guyz Moisture Gel, it's one of the best (if not the best) things you can do for your scalp after shaving.
One more point, you said you were "bearing down" on the blade? That's a big no-no and will more than likely lead to plenty of irritation and possible cuts. All you really need to do is allow the blade to pass over the skin and do it's work. Be sure to change your cartridges if you're getting any pulling, or start feeling you may be getting some cuts.

As far as time between shaves, do whatever feels most comfortable for you. We have many guys who shave daily, as well as some who let it go a week before their next shave. Check out the other sections and you will see plenty of info. Good luck.   O0
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 11:25:16 AM by xnewyawka »

Offline johnnyo

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 05:19:26 PM »
Welcome, seems like you are doing everything ok. When I first started, I used to get bumps and rash at the base of my neck, in back. After rinsing off, I wet a face cloth with cold water and put it on for a few till it starts to warm then reapply with cold. Somewhere someone mentioned to apply icecubes till they melt, I haven't tried this, but, it sounds cool. Only other thing I can say is don't go over the same spot too many times and don't press down hard. Make sure to use a new blade, The sandpaper hair wears down the blade quicker for me.

Offline Kojak

• Ich bin ein Berliner
  • Sly
    • I make pinup art
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 06:33:15 PM »
Thanks for all the input. The bump situation has all cleared up for now. The more I consider it all, I'm more convinced that it was a combination of the virgin skin being shaved and going over it too much with too much pressure.