Author Topic: Your bloody nicks...  (Read 14778 times)

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
Your bloody nicks...
« on: October 03, 2006, 02:52:27 PM »
Hey folks,

I was wondering how you came to choose your particular nicknames...and, is there a story behind them? (Oh, I love stories!)

Ok, let's start with mine: My nick's Happy Harry, as you all know. My real first name - which I won't reveal here in order not to turn you into illiterates (suffice it to say, it's a Greek name, it's LONG, 2 digits long, and requires practice to pronounce it right...and don't get me started on my last name) - ....where was I? Ah, yes, so there's three legitimate nicknames to my first name (such as Bob for Robert, for instance), and one of them is Harry (or in Greek "Harris").

So, one day back in the 90s I was watching this movie with Christian Slater, called "Pump Up the Volume", where Slater plays a character who runs a pirate radio station and calls himself "Hard Harry" or sometimes "Happy Harry Hard". And I liked that name and I started using it online.
After having been banned from a forum for using the x-rated version (Happy Harry Hard - how could I know it had negative connotations? My English wasn't that good back then...), I shortened it to Happy Harry. It's got a pleasant feel to it and people always think "oh, isn't that nice!? One happy fella"
Little do they know of the true origins of that nickname....muaha ha ha!!!!

That said, let me tell you that some of you have really nice nicks, as long as they don't bleed...sorry, I really can't help it.

Anyway, I was curious how you came to choose them.

Ok, your turn now...

Happy Harry H....

« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 03:37:49 PM by happyharry »

Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Your nicknames...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 03:37:24 PM »
Pump Up The Volume is one of my favorite movies!  I'm a big fan of Christian Slater.  I wish he'd do more movies these days.

There's no real mystery behind my name "Tyler" since it is my real first name.  Though, one of the reasons (and there's several) that this site is called "Sly" Bald Guys, is because one of my nicknames ( and there's several!)  in high school was "Sly" or "Sly Ty."
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
Re: Your bloody nicks...
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 03:50:08 PM »
Hey Tyler, wow, what do you know! First, we find out we both share our passion for harps. Then we find out we share the same favourite movies and movie stars...I only hope I won't discover we share the same toothbrush. LOL.

Anyway, yeah, Pump Up the Volume is a great flick. It's one of my favourite 80s movies (I know it was shot in 1990, but I'll count it to the 80s) along with Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Risky Business.

Christian Slater's great, I'm a fan too. But, unfortunately he's not very busy these days (falling from rooftops during parties is bad for your morales). And the last few films he's made aren't that good either (bad scripts, poorly directed). I think the last good film he made, where his acting still resembled some quality, was Interview with a Vampire, and perhaps "Bed of Roses" and "Hard Rain" and..."Very Bad Things" - oh, I'm sure you liked that one, Tyler. I also liked him in Moon Trek with Martin Sheen and in that old skater movie.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 03:52:18 PM by happyharry »
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Your nicknames...
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 04:32:28 PM »
I have many nicknames, I'll start with the two I've used on here. Huero Pelon literally means bald white guy in Spanish.

PigPen was given to me many years ago by some friends. If your familiar with the C.W. McCall song "Convoy" that's where it came from. Anyhow, for a long time my CB handle was Redneck. While talking to a friend one night, an older gentleman heard my handle, which happened to be the same as his. After a short argument, my pal at the other end told me not to worry, we would find a new handle.

Some other friends of ours came up with great handles, like "That guy formerly known as Redneck" or "Chevy Dude" I was driving a 1969 Chevrolet 3/4 ton pickup. They finally settled on PigPen because the handle of a good friend of mine is Rubber Duck, also from the song "Convoy". It has stuck ever since, and that has been over 10 years ago. I have friends around town and on the local rodeo circuit who know me only as PigPen.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Yeti

• "Fear profits a man nothing"
  • Sly Moderator
  • Super Sly
  • Big, Bald, & Friendly... ~Yeti
    • Yeti's Realm (MySpace Page)
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 05:35:28 PM »
Pump Up The Volume was a great "B" movie. Been wanting to watch it again for some time, it's been ages.

As far as my nickname, I think I answered it somewhere before in our lil world here. I will verify that before posting, since we ALL know how "small" my posts are   lmao   ;D

p.s. Harry I understand about the long names, my last name alone has 12 letters and 6 in each the first and second lol ugh ugh hehe  (Danish decent)
~Yeti
-------------
Tyler's Assister w/ creation of SBG & 1st Mod (now I am Elusive, but ALWAYS watching. hehe
-------------
BIG, FURRY, & BALD: Tattooes almost 300 hrs, Piercings several, Gamer; Internet 13+ yrs, Movies, Music, Drinks w/ friends, Ladies, my kids.
-------------

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 05:46:04 PM »
Yeti, you're of Danish descent? That's great! I like the Danish people, so I'm not surprised that I liked you
from the beginning. I've been to Denmark a few times (Copenhagen). The Danish people are really nice - the even lock
their trash - I swear this is true! I've seen these huge garbage containers in their courtyards, and they have big locks on them! I wonder why they do that...

They also love dairy products (as do I). They've got this liquid yoghurt drinks in these 1l cartons and I loved them. I'm actually allergic to dairy products (always gives me the runs). But I just love them, and I had to risk it...well, suffice it to say I spent most of my trip indoors, but heck, it was worth it...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 05:47:54 PM by happyharry »
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Yeti

• Sly Moderator
  • Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 05:51:47 PM »
hahaha so cool, I have not had the honor of visiting Denmark myself, but someday I certainly hope to! Lock their trash, now thats CLASS! hehe (wonders if there might be more Yeti's hiding something in Denmark theses days...?  lol)

I, too, love dairy, mainly cheese!!!  I could probably survive decades on mashed potatoes alone, but cheese would be all the sweeter hehehe

Also, I am pretty sure my ancestors/kin are right around the Copenhagen area, too! I hope to go searching my roots... get it, Yeti roots... someday there heheh
~Yeti
-------------
Tyler's Assister w/ creation of SBG & 1st Mod (now I am Elusive, but ALWAYS watching. hehe
-------------
BIG, FURRY, & BALD: Tattooes almost 300 hrs, Piercings several, Gamer; Internet 13+ yrs, Movies, Music, Drinks w/ friends, Ladies, my kids.
-------------

Offline CarlosMIS

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 01:44:21 PM »
Mine started at work eons ago, they were about 5 or more Carlos at work but I am the only one in Management Information Systems. To avoid confusion when calling Carloses.. People started calling me Carlos...MIS spelling the letters (not as in miss I wouldn't like that)  ;D
I had it for a long time and all family and friends know it.

I was thinking about switching to Mr. MIS but MRMIS may really confuse someone...
 :-\
Sincerely Bald,
Carlos

Offline Yeti

• Sly Moderator
  • Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 05:46:09 PM »
CarlosMIS sounds best  and pretty cool bro hehe  MRMIS  nah....  ;)
~Yeti
-------------
-------------
-------------

BaldRob

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 06:10:36 PM »
Mine's pretty simple... I'm bald and my name is Rob!   :)

Offline baldvinny

• Baron Of The Bald
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • "Feel My F'n GROOVE!"
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 01:45:15 PM »
i stole rob's idea, though i pretty much have this nickname everywhere

BaldRob

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 01:57:29 PM »
i stole rob's idea, though i pretty much have this nickname everywhere

Frickin' New Yorkers.... always thinking they're better than Chicagoans!!   :P

Offline CarlosMIS

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 08:39:39 PM »
That's it!!!

I'm switching to BaldCarlos!!!

LOL!!!

;)

Sincerely Bald,
Carlos

Offline baldvinny

• Baron Of The Bald
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • "Feel My F'n GROOVE!"
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 07:49:24 AM »
Frickin' New Yorkers.... always thinking they're better than Chicagoans!!   

bahahahahahhahaa

Offline VFRWolf

• Sly VFR Rider
  • Super Sly
    • My off roading page
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2006, 01:08:59 PM »
I like Wolves, when online gaming first came popular, with Ultima Online, my character name was Timberwolf, since then it's been shortened to wolf or Woulf, depending.   I also ride a 2003 Honday VFR, so I just started mixing the two.
Rob
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071117/sampa714ba256de1d637.jpg[/img] [/url]