Author Topic: defeating the dreaded beer belly  (Read 15126 times)

HoodooMan

defeating the dreaded beer belly
« on: June 14, 2010, 10:49:30 PM »
anyone have any advice about getting rid of it? or any success stories about eliminating your own? besides giving up beer, of course. that's a given i'm sure.

so, aside from giving up beer (maybe one here and there!) i'm thinking of starting cycling every day, or at least every other day. i have a mountain bike and there are plenty of paved paths where i live. i HATE running with a passion, and my asthma doesn't help with that. starting to eat better, eat less and generally watching what i put into my pie-hole! i'm thinking i need to drop about 10-15 lbs. i'm actually very skinny everywhere else, but have a "king of the hill" sort of thing going on.

any ideas would be appreciated!!

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: defeating the dreaded beer belly
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 11:25:07 PM »
Here's a very effective tip that worked extremely well for me. Remove, as best as you can, sugar and gluten (especially wheat flour) from your diet. Admittedly this can be a bit of a challenge given the state of the average Western diet, but, from personal experience (I'm on the thin side and given to a paunch as well) it delivers incredible, and fast results. Especially when accompanied by an exercise program that emphasizes constantly varied, functional movements and high intensity.

I was never one to have a well defined musculature. Now, at an age that many would consider "getting on a bit," I can actually see definition in my abs, chest, shoulders and arms when I'm sticking to my program.

Google "Paleo diet". You'll find it a bit extreme at first blush, but even a nominal stab at applying some of the principles will deliver good results. Good luck!
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 03:24:41 AM »
Exercise, is an essential part of any weight reduction, and most importantly maintenance, plan.  Beer belly is indicative of fat within the abdominal cavity--and it can be indicative of potential health problems.  Lots of cardio works along with calorie reduction will slowly reduce fat generally on the body including the belly--spot reducing is a myth.  Running/jogging is just a very effective way to deal with it, but cycling will work, lots of cycling.  Walking about two to three miles a day will also accomplish a lot of weight reduction.  Remember beer,  )-m, also has a lot of salt and that salt will cause your body to retain fluids.  Drink lots of water to help clear your system of excess salt and fluids. 

Offline johnnybebald

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 03:46:26 AM »
ugh! yeah i plan on running next week as well as getting on a low calorie diet, im starting to show a beer belly and i'm only 22  g@@4
hehe..when i said i was gonna party after i turned 21, i wasn't BS'ing, i guess it all caught up right away though :XX $#*t

Offline Argyle

• Super Sly
    • The Mighty Pilgrims
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 04:13:28 AM »
Make sure you dont scripm on the resistance exercise either.  My wife in her past used to be a fitness instructor and showed me some articles last week that show that although aerobic exercise burns calories whilst you are doing it that resistance exercise had an impact for many hours after the exercise itself. 

I personally at the moment do about 20 mins cardio each morning to get my heart pumping nice and fast and then move on to a resistance plan before heading to the shower and whipping out the mach 3.  The perfect early morning.
A SBG's head shines so other SBG's always have the opportunity to see the reflection of how good they look!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 04:24:59 AM »
..when i said i was gonna party after i turned 21, i wasn't BS'ing, i guess it all caught up right away though :XX $#*t

Go on, Party Hard, just work out harder! !B@ B@%d   Then W3!ght W3!ght W3!ght

Offline johnnyo

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 08:00:54 AM »
I have one of those older bikes without all the bells and whistles, and talk about a workout! It doesn't have all those gears that make it easy to peddle. I have been told that diet is good, but you still have to exercise to get the full benefit. Good advice all of you guys.

HoodooMan

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 11:32:40 AM »
thanks for all the great advice guys! so maybe a plan with some weight-lifting AND cycling would be best? i'm already drinking tons of water, and it actually feels really good being extra hydrated all the time. water really is the best.

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 12:22:45 PM »
Here's a very effective tip that worked extremely well for me. Remove, as best as you can, sugar and gluten (especially wheat flour) from your diet. Admittedly this can be a bit of a challenge given the state of the average Western diet, but, from personal experience (I'm on the thin side and given to a paunch as well) it delivers incredible, and fast results. Especially when accompanied by an exercise program that emphasizes constantly varied, functional movements and high intensity.

I was never one to have a well defined musculature. Now, at an age that many would consider "getting on a bit," I can actually see definition in my abs, chest, shoulders and arms when I'm sticking to my program.

Google "Paleo diet". You'll find it a bit extreme at first blush, but even a nominal stab at applying some of the principles will deliver good results. Good luck!
I couldn't agree more, the Paleo Diet is great but it can be extreme for alot of people, including myself  :*))....about %40 of my diet now comes from fats, saturated,mono and poly. Gluten is also the culprit to many allergies and illness as well as mental conditions in which high gluten levels have been linked to chonic depression and even dermatitis and eczema.

Alcohol is one of the main culprits that will lead men ( and women ) regardless if they are overweight or at the pathetic U.S. guideline/standard of healthy weight to drastically slow down the metabolization of fat as well as the metabolization of  triglycerides and leptin...this cause a heavy increase in abdominal fat.

There are many discussions in regards to this, poor dietary habits, excessive drinking, sh!!$y lifestyle and no excersice will cause your body to go into overdrive to fight itself which can cascade into a downward spiral into many adverse effects....cardiac issues, alleries and diabetes and with men it can cause low testosterone as well as low DHEA and low DHT which can cause a shift into higher unwelcome hormones such as higher than normal estrogen levels. And not to mention look at someone who has poor dietary habits and a sedentary lifestyle....there blood profiles I bet you are horrific. BTW all this causes one thing that is the number one killer, Inflamation of the body.

You hate running with a passion then hit the weights and throw some Iron around, do push-ups be and be active.

Everything in moderation....I also tell people to start supplementing with Fishoil and minerals such as Chromium, Magnesium and Zinc but it can be overwhelming for people at times, especially if you are unfamiliar with it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 12:25:11 PM by RyanJP »

Offline Snakehandler

• Sly
  • Snakehandler
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 02:04:06 PM »
Meat, weeds, seeds & berries. Exercise with weights & get your rest between sets down to 15-30 seconds. I'm 60 with 8% bodyfat. If a geezer like me can do it a youngin like you can too.

Offline Sean25

• Super Sly
  • 2010 sly fantasy football champ!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 04:05:39 PM »
Run run run.  Watch what you eat and drink and run as much as you can.  There is no better thing you can do.

Offline Nick

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 09:52:15 PM »
Be patient, start lifting weights and build as much lean muscle as possible.  The more lean muscle you put on, the higher your metabolism.  Don't consume any liquid calories, with the exception of the occasional booze and milk in your protein shakes.  Eat nothing but fruits, vegetables and lean proteins.  Get sweaty 5 times a week.  Do this 95% of the time and have patience and you'll drop weight. 

There is no way to only lose fat around your belly.  You need to drop fat everywhere. 

marty22

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 06:22:24 AM »
I agree with Nick and just stay in shape somehow. I oift kettebells as instructed by my trainer and ride the bike.

Offline DJ_Bald

• Super Sly
  • Letting it shine !
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 08:36:18 AM »
if your brave enough....do P90x...(google it)...try the lean version. You will lose your belly and change your body, and life.
Shave your head.....free your mind.

BaldRob

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 02:05:58 PM »
if your brave enough....do P90x...(google it)...try the lean version. You will lose your belly and change your body, and life.

That's what I did... and yes, it works very, very well!

I'm onto the classic version now...