Author Topic: first tat  (Read 3859 times)

revived

first tat
« on: May 31, 2010, 02:33:22 AM »
hey guys,

for a few now i have wanted to get a tattoo. Now that I am sly I want to get one even more. I have always wanted to get one in my grandfathers memory.. he was a real inspiration to me and I would to have something dedicated to him. For us who have had a hard time going bald (i let it rule my life for a while there) I looked at him to find my feet on this issue. He went BLIND in his early twenties. Obviously going bald in your twenties (or ever) is nowhere near as bad as going blind in your twenties (or ever for that matter as well).

I am wanting to get a tattoo dedicated to him but not sure what, how or where.. do you guys have any ideas? I have thought about writing something in Braille but not sure what I would it should say. thus far just his name..

'reginald frederick shaw'

Offline samtheman

• Sly Jr.
Re: first tat
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 05:37:14 AM »
That's a tough one. A tat is for life, so its a very personal decision. Make sure whatever you decide on that you are 100% behind it.

I'll throw out an idea or two, just to start your brainstorming process. You say he was blind? How about a pair of closed eyes with the letters RJS embedded into the background somehow. Of course that's only if you don't mind remembering him in that way.

Also there are some different ways to take initials and fit them into all sorts of different pictures, depending on what you might be happy with most for a background.
http://www.tattoosbydesign.com/rate_my_tattoo/tattoos/tattoo/act/Sword_with_my_Initials_847831665161.jpg

Spend a little time thinking about it, maybe even go talk to your local tattoo artist and tell them what your thinking and see if they have any idea's for you.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 12:21:11 AM »
If you have any photos of him and can find a tat shop with an artist working there give him the pic and have him draw the design using the photo as the basis. You could do something like making him the focal point of the tat or you could put him into a more far reaching design like a landscape of his favorite place.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline johnnybebald

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 02:37:08 AM »
the braille idea sounds good! One thing you might want to do though, is to speak to the tattoo artist of your choice. ask him or her for some ideas, he or she might have some experience in the the type of tattoo you're trying to get

revived

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 02:49:13 AM »
Yo guys,

Thanks for all that. Good ideas with the eyes and landscape of his fave place... could really work in something sweet there. His day to day job was working in a coal mine - might try work that in somehow.

I am going to go have a chat to a good tattooist shortly and see what they say. I've been working with a few designs myself that I'm sure that can improve on.

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 10:13:52 PM »
I would get RFS in Old English Script.  That would look cool.

Offline Mrnemo

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 06:21:54 PM »
Regi did you get a tat yet? Just joined up so a little late responding. Have you ever looked up your family's code of arms? The one's I have seen are pretty interesting and a nice way to represent the fam.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 06:40:47 PM »
I have three tats... one small flash piece dedicated to my wife and two half sleeves. All three are very personal to ME... nobody else...just me.
I always suugest tats that mean something and that will be timeless to the person being tattooed.

Here's what I suggest..... sit back and think about your grandfather. Think about the things he liked and did in his life that meant something to YOU.  For example, if you and he enjoyed a mint ice cream cone together on Saturday afternoons, get that cone as a part of the tattoo. Random things that were the special things about him and his relationship with you... that mean something to YOU. Random items and things mixed together in  sort of a collage can make an amazing tattoo.

Be sure to pick a top notch artist for this type of tattoo. Go speak to the artist to meet them and see if you and he/she have a good vibe between the two of you..... it can make the whole experience that much better.

Also... as a first timer, PLEASE remember to tip your artist when the tattoo is completed. So many first timers do not know that this is the proper thing to do. And no... I'm not a tattoo artist... just an enthusiast.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

revived

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 09:18:51 AM »
Hey Mike,

Thanks for all the great advice. I certainly knew nothing about having to tip them... I will do that for sure! I'm going to sit down and draw out some general idea then go talk to a good tattooist. Am wanting to do this on what would've been his birthday coming up in August so need to get cracking.
Will keep you posted!

Offline Stormin Norm

• Team Sly
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 08:44:31 PM »
Mike is 100% correct. 

My two cents is research the shop and artist first.  If someone tells you that they can take you in right away or in a day or two-ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun!!!!!!!!!!!

With a good artist, you will have to wait a few months-good indicator if you have to wait.

A good artist will also work with you and will offer to do some free sketches for you in advance.

Don't believe the bs on the tattoo shows!

Good luck dude! I think it is very admirable to honor your grandfather in this manner. O0

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 06:55:11 PM »
That was some great advice! Now you got me thinking about doin one!!

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 08:40:28 PM »
I recently got my first tattoo. It's addicting. Already looking forward to the next one
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Enter your email address: