Author Topic: Thinking about it...  (Read 2980 times)

Offline InProgress

• Sly Jr.
Thinking about it...
« on: May 06, 2010, 12:14:14 AM »
Hey,

I've been thinking about shaving my head recently. My hairline is receding a bit at the temples (although not much), and it's thinning a bit on top (but my hair is quite thick, so you'd never notice). Mostly i've just had the urge to shave it. The thing is, my hair is one of my better features, and it's probably on the way out anyway. Maybe i should just be patient, enjoy it while i have it, and have fun shaving it when it goes on its own. Also, my head is a little oddly shaped in the back (or maybe it's just me criticizing myself too harshly), and i'm rather thin (working on that), which doesn't usually work so well with a shaved head.

The long hair pic is recent, the other two are from last summer when i had quite a short crew cut. Should give you some idea of my hair and head shape. Sorry the first one is blurry!

So, what do you think? Obviously feedback might be a bit skewed on a bald men's message board... but try to be honest and balanced :-)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 04:03:07 PM by wpruitt »

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
Re: Thinking about it...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 12:27:22 AM »
you got a good headshape. id say go for it, worst case scenario it grows back
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 05:02:03 AM »
I think you'll look fine. No smoke, just the facts...........
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 07:13:18 AM »
Wizard of Koz is right.  And for you, at this time, it's a hairstyle--do it, grow it, whatever you want.  But when you've thought about it, well that itch won't go away until you've taken it to the wood. 

GASlick

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 07:20:47 AM »
I say hit it! If you don't like it, it'll always grow back.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 07:36:52 AM »
I'm with the rest of the Sly Bros who have already responded. Scrape the skull, keep it for 30 days, at the end of that time you can grow it back. When I shaved my dome the first time I really didn't know if I'd stick with it. That was in the neighborhood of 10 years ago, I've been sly ever since.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline InProgress

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 01:56:06 PM »

haha see... that's the thing... I'm not really sure that it will grow back. My hair's still pretty thick, but it's a good bit thinner than it was this time last year, and my hairline has receded noticeably (to me, at least... maybe 2/3 of an inch) in the last year. It's about 5-6 inches long now, so it actually *might not* grow back. Am I being impatient? If nature's going to do the job for me in a few years anyway, should i take advantage of my (admittedly good) hair while i have it, and get my bald fix later?

Btw... I'm not unduly stressed about losing hair (that isn't to say not at all). I've shaved my head before and I love how it feels! It's other people who find me more attractive or less confusing with hair. So right now i'm conflicted between having the urge to shave it (probably sparked by the fact that a bunch of my friends just got buzz cuts), and thinking that I might as well use it to my advantage while I still have it. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 03:28:20 PM by InProgress »

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 05:12:57 PM »

haha see... that's the thing... I'm not really sure that it will grow back. My hair's still pretty thick, but it's a good bit thinner than it was this time last year, and my hairline has receded noticeably (to me, at least... maybe 2/3 of an inch) in the last year. It's about 5-6 inches long now, so it actually *might not* grow back. Am I being impatient? If nature's going to do the job for me in a few years anyway, should i take advantage of my (admittedly good) hair while i have it, and get my bald fix later?

Btw... I'm not unduly stressed about losing hair (that isn't to say not at all). I've shaved my head before and I love how it feels! It's other people who find me more attractive or less confusing with hair. So right now i'm conflicted between having the urge to shave it (probably sparked by the fact that a bunch of my friends just got buzz cuts), and thinking that I might as well use it to my advantage while I still have it. Thoughts?

you could try a #1 buzzcut, that gives you a pretty good idea of what you'll look like bald headshape wise
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 07:05:26 PM »

No.  That's the mistake many of us have made.  Inevitably, it results in waiting too long to do the deed.  You may not even realize it until way after the fact when you look back at old photos.  But MPB is a constant worry while it's in progress so if you've got any inclination at all to shave your head, I say sooner is always better than later.

Offline zzaapp

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 10:54:08 AM »

haha see... that's the thing... I'm not really sure that it will grow back. (BIG EDIT) Thoughts?

There is a common misconception about hair not growing back after shaving it.  The myths about someone shaving their head and the hair not growing back are just not true.  If it happens, it is because they went bald while they had their head shaved, not because they had their head shaved.

From your description, you like changing things around.  Do what you want. Do what will make you happy. 

As the great philosopher, Richard Nelson once said, "Ya can't please everyone, so ya gotta please yourself."

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 08:36:36 AM »
Don't think about it too much, just go ahead and do it. This way you'll know if you like it (you probably will), and then you will be saying to yourself "why didn't I do this sooner".  ;)

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 11:10:04 AM »
Stop thinking & start shaving!
Soon you'll know if sly is what you want or not.
It's that easy. :)
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 12:32:53 PM »
Take it down to wood.  You can always grow it back, but you won't understand the freedom and feeling until you shave it all off.

Enter your email address: