Author Topic: Close cut, but not sly yet.  (Read 4759 times)

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
Re: Close cut, but not sly yet.
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 12:05:47 PM »
Welcome to SBGs!!! 8) Practice makes perfect!!! O0

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 02:56:08 PM »
Are you guys saying use the Mach 3 for the 1st shave, then use the HB for later shaving?
I'm just a little chicken about cutting up my head the first time I shave. 
That would sort of defeat the "I know what I'm doing" attitude I'm trying to project....LOL.

Look in the head shave board, but GENERALLY, use a clipper w/o a guard, get it very short, shower, hot water & shampoo---idea is to get the hair soft to the blade.  Now, while I'm not personally a HB user, I think even those who are avid regarding that equipment might suggest using the equipment you current use for your face bc of familiarty with the equipment--but use a new balde cartridge, some shaving gel, etc., and take your time--this is for your enjoyment, and there's no reason to rush.
Rinse, use an astringent and an shave balm and some sunscreen--this this going to be one of the most memorable experiences of your life, we promise.  Go to it DUDE.

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 05:09:26 PM »
Once the decision is made (the BIG step) to go sly, I think it's possible to over-obsess about the best way to go sly.  I sometimes let the hair grow out a bit from time to time, but then take it back down.  First, clippers without a guard.  Then a long swim at the gym (softens things as much as they can ever be softened).  Then a willingness to "sacrifice" a blade, in that it takes a fair bit of work to get the stubble gone, but gone it'll be, even with a disposable razor.  Shave a bit, rinse razor; shave, rinse; shave, rinse...

It's not that hard to go sly.  A little work, yeah, but it's not rocket science, either: buzz it down, soften it up, razor it off.  I make no recommendations for the "right" razor.  I have my preferences, not those of the majority here, it seems, but I end up gleaming just fine.

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 10:10:33 PM »
The headblade is not a bad product, but you need to be accustom to the geography of your gourd.  Otherwise you are more prone to knock off a mole/bump/ridge etc that you didn't know was there.  The Headblade is synonymous with a close shave,  but it is not forgiving.   The Mach3 is a more forgiving tool that your more familiar with.  Headblade is a stick shift that you drive backwards and Mach3 is an automatic that goes forward.  Pretend you are learning to drive blind folded.  Which would you want to start out on?  8)

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 02:47:40 AM »
Because I was using an electric shaver at that time, I started with the HeadBlade right  away and did not have a problem using it. No pressure!
In any case, make sure you have all the time you might need (I would do it in the evening for that matter), prepare well as it has been said here already, and don't be afraid of the possibility of a nick.
When you're done, the feeling is just awesome.
Go for it!
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline ynmaker

• Sly Jr.
  • Any idiot can take a good pic w/ a digital camera!
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 09:52:34 AM »
Ok, I did it.  I shaved over the weekend.  I tried to take everyone's advise.  Buzz, no guard, Apricot scrub, long hot shower, Mach 3, and witchhazel.  I almost forgot, a fresh clean pillowcase!    After the first 36 hours I shaved the second time and again daily since with HeadSlick and the HB.  So far, no cuts!!!  I have a few red bumps, but I'm trying Neurogena Razor Defense after the Witchhazel.  I don't spend much time in the sun, I work indoors.  I'm looking into which type of sunscreen to use with the above routine.  I would like for the color of my head to even out.  I'd also like to post a picture.  I'm not too savvy with computers, but this one has a Webcam that takes photos.  I may look into that soon.  Thanks to all of you on this forum.... You help those of us longtime lurkers turned newbies more that you probably know.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 02:18:25 PM »
Glad to hear you're free, now remember 30 days.  And don't sweat the wife or kids, this is for you and a better you is better for them. 
Now, one more thing, you've received the help, it's now your chance to join in and help others, guys in your situation that you can relate to--it's kind of a way to keep the road to freedom open for the guys still walking around w/ dead mops on their heads.

Offline ynmaker

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 04:17:15 PM »
Thanks for the words Saint.  Funny you mention the wife and kids.  My wife isn't too happy with the look.  Our 10 year old son doesn't want a "hairless Dad".  To combat this I've started a new game based on the recent VW TV commercials.  Instead of the "Bug Slug", punching someone when you have spotted a VW car, my son and I have started punching each other when we see a Bald Guy.  "Blue Shirt...punch!"  (I'm a light puncher, so don't alert the authorities.)  My wife found this annoying when we did it with cars... I doubt if she will find this any less annoying.   That alone may keep the game going awhile!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2010, 10:02:08 AM »
hey ynmaker:  welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  glad that ya joined the club.  we hope that U become an active member of the best forum on the internet.  keep us posted on all the reactions of your new look.  also, do U like your new look? O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline ynmaker

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2010, 07:37:12 AM »
Thanks warhawk.  I like the look.  This was not a spur of the moment thing.  I have been thinking about it for a couple of years.  The only issue I have is I really don't like to draw attention to myself in a group.  I'm not overly shy, but I'm not an extrovert.  You will draw attention with a bald head.  So far, it's been a non issue for most people.  When folks ask why I did it, I tell the truth.  My hair has been thinning and I'm pretty sure what may future with hair would look like.  I try to be diplomatic and not put down others choices, (dealing with MPB),  but I say a hat or comb-over isn't my style. 
My wife isn't too keen on it, but she is getting used to it.  Our son quit commenting on it after only a couple of days.  My co-workers have not said much of anything one way or the other, but I'm pretty sure I'm a topic of conversation when I'm not around...  That's fine. 
At church most folks are older.  The reactions are a bit mixed.  A few have offered to help me with investment advice on all the $$ I'm saving on shampoo.  Others have said "A lot of young guys are doing it".  That's fine.  I didn't do it because of anyone else.   I did have one lady tell me she like it and that I needed a gold earring.  I thought she was kidding, but she wasn't.  Anyway, some at the church are in suspense.  I showed up with a #1 buzz on May 2nd and 9th.  Last Sunday, May 16th, I showed up shaved.  Who knows what will happen this week!

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010, 01:05:49 AM »
A Tattoo,  a motorcycle, and meth habit  :P   Just kidding   Man you need pictures or I'm calling BS.  www.photobucket.com  ;D

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2010, 09:19:15 AM »
Way to go YN!  Welcome to the group and the sly life.   Wives will come around and sounds like your son is like my kids - they don't say anything about it anymore.   And remember, they've been mocking us baldies for thousands of years:

2 Kings 2:23  And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2010, 09:32:18 AM »
T
At church most folks are older.  The reactions are a bit mixed.  A few have offered to help me with investment advice on all the $$ I'm saving on shampoo.  Others have said "A lot of young guys are doing it".  That's fine.  I didn't do it because of anyone else.   I did have one lady tell me she like it and that I needed a gold earring.  I thought she was kidding, but she wasn't.  Anyway, some at the church are in suspense.  I showed up with a #1 buzz on May 2nd and 9th.  Last Sunday, May 16th, I showed up shaved.  Who knows what will happen this week!

Actually, IMO, the comments drop off pretty quickly, except the compliments.  One of the oddest I got was on leaving church early on and the priest told me at the door that his wife had been after him to do something about the combover--but he said at his age he wasn't sure he could do it--he's just past 70, and is one of the assistant priests who helps out at the Cathedral.  He hasn't so far, but then my head has long ceased to be a topic of conversation anywhere except for compliments--and I'm very used to getting them now.  That is one of the amazing parts of sly, you get compliments on your appearance--rather than silence regarding the combover and dying mop.

Offline ynmaker

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 12:40:07 PM »
OK, here is the pic.  I'm only 10 days into the shaved zone.  So far only one cut.  I'm getting a routine down, and I'm getting used to the change.  Thanks for all the support.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 01:29:39 PM »
Looks good.