Author Topic: Who says hair is better?  (Read 5865 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Who says hair is better?
« on: April 17, 2010, 11:08:04 PM »

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Who says hair is better?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 10:12:52 AM »
Where on earth did you find that picture of Yul????  Whether it was a wig or not, once he took it to the bone, it really ended his aging--he always looked the same.  But I think he died of lung cancer--and your picture of him oddly has him w/ a cigarette. 

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 10:50:29 AM »

You couldn't give me a strand of hair at this point

The picture is great  -must be a few years old  - - like 50 or 60

JOE-91

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 11:05:25 AM »
He looks better with hair, yes. But doesn't everyone when they have good coverage?

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 11:29:04 AM »
Oops! I think you hit the trap door! >:D
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 01:13:32 PM »
He looks better with hair, yes. But doesn't everyone when they have good coverage?

No, the point was, he doesn't look better with hair.  ???
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 01:18:46 PM by Razor X »

Offline BReady

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 01:32:59 PM »
I think he looks alright with hair..  Kind of has that James Bond thing going on.  But he does look a bit older than the pic's of him w/ no hair.  I thought he looked cooler with the shaved head.

SBG written at 5 micron field of view on an electron microscope (kind of messed up the B, but you get the picture).

BReady

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 01:36:09 PM »
Wikipedia says he shaved it for the King & I and never went back.  I think I do remember a movie, a western if I'm not totally senile, that he did hair.  Whether it was his or not, I don't know.  I just think it really "stopped" his aging for appearance purposes.  Without a "hair reference" for color, hairline, etc., it gets to be a little tough to estimate a guy's actual age.  And that's a good thing. 

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 01:44:18 PM »
Wikipedia says he shaved it for the King & I and never went back.  I think I do remember a movie, a western if I'm not totally senile, that he did hair.  Whether it was his or not, I don't know.  I just think it really "stopped" his aging for appearance purposes.  Without a "hair reference" for color, hairline, etc., it gets to be a little tough to estimate a guy's actual age.  And that's a good thing. 

Why did he have to shave for The King and I?  Was the actual King of Siam bald?  Or did they think it made Yul more exotic looking or somehow disguise the obvious fact that he wasn't Asian?  I've always wondered.

It's pretty amazing that he continued to get roles with a shaved head back in the 50s and 60s.  Hollywood didn't usually embrace non-mainstream looks bakc then.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 03:02:20 PM »

Why did he have to shave for The King and I?  Was the actual King of Siam bald?  Or did they think it made Yul more exotic looking or somehow disguise the obvious fact that he wasn't Asian?  I've always wondered.

It's pretty amazing that he continued to get roles with a shaved head back in the 50s and 60s.  Hollywood didn't usually embrace non-mainstream looks bakc then.

I think it was probably the exotic thing.  I was pretty young when the movie was releassed, but  I do remember a lot of "buzz" about the sly look.  Ladies all tallked about what they thought about it--I think it was positive, but Yul had the accent all the stuff that sends suburb type women nuts.  There were some old WWI movies w/ an actor I don't know the name of, he always played a German officer, monocle and all.  But sly was really rare. 

Offline DuffRyder17

• Super Sly
  • Waning days of College Life
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 03:03:48 PM »
Yul is one of my favorite bald guys, and one of the reasons I even gave shaving a shot...
looks way better w/out hair
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, That's why it's called the present!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 03:25:32 PM »

I think I do remember a movie, a western if I'm not totally senile, that he did hair.  

Must have been this one (which came after The King and I, BTW):

« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 03:30:13 PM by Razor X »

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 07:35:19 PM »
I don't know where you're digging this stuff up.  I don't remember that movie at all.  I just remember the King & I, and a western.  But, damn, the man should have always remained sly, he was one of the first and the best.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 07:41:17 PM »
Ummm, no. Not in my opinion.

Offline RodgerDodger

• Super Sly
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 08:27:20 PM »

No, the point was, he doesn't look better with hair.  ???
Brynner with or without hair was an accomplished actor. Not like the bozos that make  films now. Brynner gave a commanding performance in just about every film he was in.
It's no wonder that The Ten Commandments is only one of 2 films aired annually on prime time network TV. In my opinion it's the bald Brynner and not toupee wearing Charlton Heston that delivers the superior performance in that film. And the lovely Yvonne DeCarlo is nice to look at too. BTW, ten years later she was Lily Munster.

In the film, The Sound & The Fury Yul Brynner wore a toupee. This was after The King & I, so I guess he enjoyed being hair-free so much he decided to opt for a piece instead of growing back his hair.