Author Topic: Is it too late for me? REDUX  (Read 4926 times)

Offline Ta2Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Guy in Training
    • ta2guy.org
Is it too late for me? REDUX
« on: January 16, 2010, 11:40:36 AM »
There is a thread here from 2007 entitled “Is it too late for me?” which was started by a Guest with the handle “Slickdome.” I was going to post to it, but decided to follow the Board's advice to start a new thread, hoping to rekindle some interest in SlyGuys getting some BodMods. I have quoted some of the more interesting comments (IMNVHO) of that thread here, but the opinions expressed therein are those of the respective authors.  ;)  O:O

Howdy folks.
I've always been hopelessly straight-laced and conservative...when it comes to my appearance.  But now that I've been a Sly Guy for a few years, I'm a lot less uptight about such things.  The thing is....I regret that I've never tried any piercings or tats.   
I've been thinking about getting an earring (or two), but I always talk myself out of it, because I feel like I'm way too old to start that stuff.  Whaddya think?  Is it too late?     Btw, I'm 42, and ripe for a good ol' mid-life crisis...lol.
JJ
Hell yeah man, go for it! I always think it's cool as hell when middle aged people are into tats and peircings. Just shows that your only as old as you feel! If you do get your ear done, I'd say go for both of them. Only one ear is old school. I have both of mine done and stretched to a 00... and I have 7 tats. Even when I'm 60 I'm pretty sure that I'll still be getting inked!
You are never too old. It is never too late. Starting something new means just that, "starting". It's your life, there are no rules. If it makes you happy, nd it doens;t hurt anybody else, GO FOR IT!
You need no more justification than "because I like it".
Just my 2 cents, I'd like some change.
slickdome Go for it.. Me I"ve removed my earing like 5 or 6 years ago.. but thinking of putting back in.. as per the tatoo.. ***** YEA man you will get your first one and say..ok.. now when can you take me for my second one.. I did all those things while I was younger like 23.. now at 37..thinking of getting a tatoo in the back of my neck, and getting a cool earing. The hole is there just need to reopen it.. hehehehhe
If your thinking about it it's because you want one.. so forget the others..
Just to prove we have a diverse group here... ARE YOU NUTS?  Earings are for girls!   :*))
I guess that would be a "no" vote!   ::)
...but consider the source, I'm "old school".   O:O
So I hear that 40 is the new 30 and so on...I think your never too old to make yourself happy. You should try new things. Theres more to life than your normal daily grind. Word of advice....Tattoos are addictive!
. . . Me, I'm gonna be the freakiest bastard in the nursing home. Age shouldn't be a factor!!!
. . . I don't think it's ever too late to do what you really want. But IMHO, there's plenty of time to regret not doing what you always wanted to do.
Go for it.
I got my first tattoo last Summer just after I turnedd 47. I wanted one for years but never got one because I wanted it to be about something significant in my life. Nothing really struck me as important enough until last year.
I got a half sleeve, my own idea, and the artist's interpretation of my idea. It's excellent, a real piece of art, significant to my life, and something I'm very proud of.
                            Never too old to live life to it's fullest-
                                              Mike `Dr!n#
Never too late!  I got my first tat in 2004 I was 46.  Now I have both upper arms done and a full back piece almost finished.  Be careful they are very addicting just like headshaving.

The rest of the thread is here: http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=975.0
You can probably guess where I stand on the issue.  O0

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Is it too late for me? REDUX
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 12:25:39 PM »
I THINK I'm flattered that one of the comments that you quoted was mine!! O0

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline deadohsky

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Exterminate all rational thought.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 10:42:53 PM »
Ta2Guy, i know i'm late in welcoming you to the forum, but i haven't been on in a while; welcome.  I stopped by your web page and browsed the entire thing, including the articles you wrote.  Very interesting stuff.  I myself am slowly working on a body suit.  Currently am getting my left calf sleeve done in memory of my father.  Previous to this one was three years ago, and was my right leg for my mother.  The second the needle touched my skin again i could not understand why i waited so long to get more work done.  Just wanted to let you know from one tattooed guy to another  that you have some amazing work done.

Offline CraftyGuy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 08:24:49 AM »
If it weren't for my never hearing the end of it from my wife (I do respect her feelings on such things), I would toy with the idea of getting a few piercings.

Shaving the head, I don't mind doing without spousal consent (didn't ask for it, didn't need it)... but for whatever reason piercings to me are a whole 'nother ball of wax...
MikeC

Offline deadohsky

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Exterminate all rational thought.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 12:53:16 PM »
Front of my right bicep, first tattoo at 18, self took so its a bad angle.

Left forearm, second at 19

Next two were worked on at the same time i.e. work on one, go in the next week worked on the other etc. when i was 20.

The photo of the memorial for my mom isnt actually a current picture, a little while after that, i had a band of text added around my ankle.

And the one that i am currently having worked on

One thing i've noticed getting tattoos, at least portraits, they can look weird to you at first.  I got worried when i first saw the picture of the tattoo of my mom when she was a child, but i looked at the actual picture and she did have a little bit of a lazy eye lol.  Just things you dont really notice until you are getting them engraved on you.  The first two tattoos will more than likely be covered up as i start my sleeves.

I think you are right about starting to shave at the same time, i hadn't realized it had already been so long since i started.

Edit: Thanks for the compliment, i definitely do plan on keeping the beard, can't imagine myself without it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 12:55:06 PM by deadohsky »

Offline VictorMackey

• Sly weight loss master!
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 01:43:48 PM »
Front of my right bicep, first tattoo at 18, self took so its a bad angle.

Recognised that straight away. One of the best bands ever.

Offline ahiglesias67

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 04:03:36 PM »
I got my first this October as a 33rd birthday present for myself.  I'm with the guys saying they waited until they found something that was meaningful to them.  I'm glad I didn't get that Emmitt/Michael/Troy tat I wanted when I was 18.