Author Topic: Against the grain?  (Read 2242 times)

mdave87

Against the grain?
« on: January 02, 2010, 04:00:03 PM »
Hey Happy New Year and hope everyone had a great holiday. I shaved my head against the grain for the first time today and it is definitely a closer and better shave but I'm a little bit worried about getting razor burn/bumps. Just wanted to see if any of you guys had any tips-products, how often to change the blade, etc? Thanks guys!

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
Re: Against the grain?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 04:14:03 PM »
I used to use ClearHead in the first months because it was recommended and I think it helped. After the bottle was empty I stopped using it and have no problem so I'm just using an after shave balm. I guess with more experience and the skin getting used to be scraped I don't need a special treatment anymore. Shaving every day (like I do) may also help to prevent ingrown hair.

How long the blade lasts depends on the blade and on your hair. You will have to find out by yourself. When you have the feeling the hair is rather dragged out than cut off it's time to change.
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 05:18:28 PM »
I shave against the grain and I too use Clearhead.  Works for me!  O0

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline ggman71

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 06:10:05 PM »
Same here with the clearhead.  Also, I use just a little but of shave oil (just 2-3 drops) and massage that into my head before I lather on the shave cream.  Some may think it is overkill, but I found that combo keeps the burn away and leaves a very smooth dome. ^-^

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 07:20:15 PM »
Any astringent lotion, like Clearhead, will help.  Also, now that there is absolutely no hair between you and the world, clean, clean , clean.  Wash your head at least twice a day w/ a mild anti-bacterial soap--feels really good too.  Change the pillow case at least once a week.  And, just enjoy--great look, nice dome.  Live Free, Sly and Enjoy.

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 07:34:12 PM »
Clearhead all the way  O0

GASlick

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 10:45:53 PM »
I shave against the grain all the time and have never had a problem.  I know some guys do, though.
I just HeadSlick and shave.  Hope it works for you.  It's definitely smoother.

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 07:09:48 AM »
I always shave against the grain.  To shave I prepare by using Gillette 'before the shave' facial scrub, then to King of Shaves menthol shave gel, sensitive skin, then after the shave I use Gillette 'after the shave' menthol gel rather than a balm.  Anything with menthol in will really soothe your scalp, I find.  Balm always made my head itch, but it's just a matter of what goes for one isnt so good for another.  You got to experiment. O0

Offline dodger

• dodger
  • Sly Jr.
  • after
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 06:29:25 PM »
dave

Against the grain works for me
Get a closer shave

I shave every other day

Use Gillette Gel-Mach 3 Turbo and Nivea Cool Balm

steve

Offline geoguy

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 11:49:43 PM »
I also always shave against the grain.  The shave is just to much closer!   My routine is to wash my face and head with good quality face wash.  Once a week I'll swop the face wash for a facial scrub, as where I live is quite warm.  Use Gillete shaving gel,  Mach3, and take it all of.  My neck area tends to be sensitive, so I've found that a aloe gel applied to my whole head afterwards works best for me.

And yes,  like ggman said, keep the dome clean. 

Good luck
If I should wake up tomorrow morning, and all my hair grew back; I'd still shave it all off!!  Thank God I'm Bald!!

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 08:46:53 AM »
My method is a good scrub to soften the hair followed by Shave Secret shaving oil (Walmart). I put Head Slick (preferably) or whatever shave gel I have over that. With the softened hair and the oil I get a pretty close shave with not much irritation.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline baldaholic

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 09:05:20 AM »
Looking good there dave. Keep it up.  O0

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 12:32:51 PM »
I always shave against the grain - - -using Bald Guyz Shaving Gel and I use the Schick Xtreme 3 comfort plus razor