Author Topic: How long did it take to accept it at 100%  (Read 13341 times)

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
Re: How long did it take to accept it at 100%
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2010, 08:36:16 AM »
Did I say I love it?  O0

There you go, I being the key on the subject.   O0   

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2010, 08:51:46 AM »
It took a while to accept it for me to the point where I grew it back (#1 buzz cut) a couple of times since I shaved it New Year's day 2007. But, I intend on remaining sly. The plusses far outweigh the minuses.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Cypher

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2010, 10:05:39 AM »
hello guys..

Michael here, 20 years old college student. My hair started to fall out when i was 16. My friends keep telling me that i'm already balding. at first, i dont care, but things changed when I enter college.

People started to stare at me, which makes me feel uncomfortable. As a solution, i let my hair grow so i can use the very popular "combover" style.  That was the only solution that i can think of at that moment.  After a couple of years, my mpb got a bit worst making the combover useless in hiding the hair loss. so i let my hair grow even longer so i can tie it at the back of my head like most rockers do.  ;D

hmm that look was not for me. though i have no other choice to consider. so i kept it for almost a year. damn..

a month ago, my sister celebrated her 18th birthday. my mom forced me to cut my hair so i can look more presentable to people. after the hair cut, damn i was surprised how balding i am when i checked my dome at the mirror. i think i am on the level 2 or 3 vertex on the norwood scale.

to make the long story short, a couple of weeks after, i had my first buzz cut. at first, it looks fine, but after a week, when my "remaining" hair started to grow back making the bald spot so obvious, i decided that i need to make a move. i buzzed it to #0, and let the poeple around me to adjust.

So.. it took me four damn years before i can accept the fact that im balding..

now i can say that im more confident than ever! and i owe it you guys. if it wasnt for you, im still probably supporting the long pony-tailed hair style.

(sorry for any wrong spelling/grammar) english is not our primary language.

- Michael

Offline CraftyGuy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2010, 05:34:06 PM »
When I first saw myself, right after visiting a barber with balding clippers, my reaction was "Holy f**k, I look hot!".    O:O

My favorite reaction was from my daughter (14 at the time), I went to the mall to pick her up after she spent the afternoon hanging out with her friends (same day as my SLY transformation).  She saw me with my newly shaved dome in the food court and blurted out - "What. Did. YOU. DO??!!!", as only a mortified and embarrassed teen-aged girl can do.  Haven't let her live that one down.    8)
MikeC

Offline baldtribesman

• Sly Jr.
  • R O C K in the USA rockin in the USA
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2010, 05:59:36 PM »
When I realized I had MPB in the beginning I tried my best to cover it up, I grew my hair longer, for my bald spot I used this shoe polish like stuff.  I have to tell you I was unhappy with it until I shaved it all off and became Sly.  Although I am probably just about now 100% comfortable being Sly that is a better adjustment then adjusting to MPB and I would not have it any other way if you think about it MPB let me to go Sly and I look so much better now then even when I was younger and had a full head of hair.  We can learn from this that there is a silver lining in everything and what may have seen like a curse in the beginning is actually a blessing in disguise.

Offline clipped

• Sly
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2010, 09:50:12 PM »
I never worried about thinning, although I was thinning starting at about 30, 27 years ago. Six years ago, it started to look like a combover, so I began buzzing. After about 3 years, I felt that I had accepted myself as a "bald/clipper haircut" person.  I was happy with the #2 buzz until about three years ago, when I moved to an occassional clippershave, around the time I found this site. Since then, I have come to feel that I have benefitted by the 'sly' lifestyle - increased confidence - at the 0 blade buzz.  Now I pretty much do the 0 blade clipper shave, sometimes getting a #00000 at the barber. I prefer the sandpaper feel and look.  I have tried shaving once and may do so again this summer vacation. 

Offline koked

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2010, 04:20:48 AM »
I first found out I was going bald a couple of years ago when I was sitting down at a local coffee house and someone decided to tell me, "You've got a nice bald spot going on back there."  That was a couple of years ago, and immediately after I entered a hat phase which lasted up until about 6 months ago when I went sly.  When I was in the hat phase I looked at other guys with hair and was jealous, but as soon as I clipped it to a zero and shaved I was 100%.  Instead of being jealous of guys with hair I started noticing most of those guys had combovers, and pretty bad ones at that.  I like to think they're the ones jealous of us. javascript:replaceText('%20O:O',%20document.forms.postmodify.message);

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2010, 11:14:36 AM »
I coped with my MPB for a long time, but once I went SLY...I immediately felt liberated and "accepted it 100%". O0

Offline dodger

• dodger
  • Sly Jr.
  • after
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2010, 05:58:35 PM »
Hi

After wearing a hairpiece for over 30 years, my adjustment period took about one month

I have been sly for about 3 months now and feeling pretty good about it

Can't wait for summer and get some tan for this dome

Then....look out

So be patient, you made the right choice

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2010, 09:28:14 PM »
I was relieved immediately after shaving Aug 22nd, 2008. The first few days I felt overly aware of what I had done and was still looking for reactions and approval, I felt good though. After a week or so I went swimming which turned out to be an invigorating and validating experience. Within a month I was cocky and really started to discover the benefits of my new found freedom and confidence.

Accepting it 100%? I'm not sure when that happened because it gradually became a part of who I am. Maybe it was 4 months, maybe a year... I'm not exactly sure. I really liked it the first day and really never looked back other than really wishing I shaved it early Spring and not the end of August.   

---- The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is given to the less talented as a consolation prize. - Robert Hughes

stemikger

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2010, 06:02:46 AM »
Forgive me I didn't read all the other replies, but I have to say there is someting about the 30 day rule.  Also, the brain needs time to see this bald guy everyday.  It is weird after you do it for a while, it dosen't look different any longer.  I think the brain needs time to get used to such a different look.

Although I have been doing the very short buzz forever, I just started to go completely sly again and every week keeps getting better.

Offline sannong

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2010, 09:52:24 AM »
It kicked in for me as soon I as finished the last swipe of the razor blade. That, of course, was then followed by about ten minutes of hysterical laughter each time I saw myself in the mirror, then followed by about two days of minor laughter and giggling, and then finally totally forgetting what I looked like with hair (and I had quite a bit of hair.) I knew It was right from that first moment though; It felt like coming home.

Offline YOSP

• Super Sly
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2010, 04:01:22 PM »
Whats up Bald Brothers?
Its been 3yrs since I have been on here. I got married, new job, new house, and now it seems a lot of catching up to do.
It seems fitting for me to start with this post. Let see...
I don't know if I will ever except 100%, but I am about 95%. The 5% I question at times is just my stupid male ego as it relates to women. I always wonder and will probably always wonder if I would get more attention if I had hair.  I am happily married now, but I would be lying if I said that I didn't like the "eye contact" or a nice smile from a pretty woman. Other than that, everything else is gravy.
I am not afraid now to say I used to wear a piece. Almost 7yrs, I still get sick to my stomach thinking about the wasted $$$. But I also don't completely regret it because I learned a lot about myself.
The first time I rolled the window down, went into the ocean or pool, slowly hung up the hats...man what a liberating feeling! It truly felt like I was not hiding from everyone anymore. 3yrs later and I have no regrets nor would I look into hair restoration ever again.
The crazy thing that has happened to me though is Facebook. I reconnected with people that I haven't seen in 10+ yrs and also with people that knew I was wearing a piece, but have never seen me bald. I don't give a rats a$$ anymore.
Enough rambling for me...I'm glad to be back, 3yrs bald strong!

BALDANDRE

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2010, 08:09:44 PM »
Bro!

Nice to hear from ya!!!!

Glad to see your bald mug again!!!!

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2010, 08:02:13 AM »
as soon as I got to rub my hand on it.  And feel how smooth it was  :@`  Man I still do it 8)