Author Topic: Any SBG Glockers out there?  (Read 7036 times)

Offline BaldBear

• Bald, Bearded and Bear!
  • Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • "woof!"
Re: Any SBG Glockers out there?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 09:33:39 AM »
What is that BB.? An AR-15.

WOW, yup. You got it right. AR-15. Good eye there!
Woof!
"The more hair I lose...the more head I get!"

Offline bem75

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 12:54:11 PM »
I know little to nothing about handguns, but I have wanted to get one for target practice and for home safety.  I do have little kids.  So, I am torn about whether having a gun in the house is a wise idea.  However, I am sold on the reasons to have a gun in certain situations.

I really have no idea what to get.  I want a gun that is simple to operate, reliable, and durable.  After reading a post here, I went to the Springfield website.  I do like the added safety features, but I really have no basis for comparison.

What do you guys recommend?  I am not planning to carry a gun.  This would strictly be for home protection and taking the gun to the shooting range for fun.

The idea of having a gun for protection happened after Hurricane Wilma.  We were without power and basically locked down for a week.  It would have been an added comfort to have some level of protection for my family, under those conditions.

Offline balddad77

• Sly Jr.
  • Fair winds and following seas!
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 12:58:07 PM »
Bem, I am a Glock guy as well.  I carried one for wuite some time.  I used it on duty and off.  The only thing I don't like about them is the lack of a safety that you have to disengage.  As a cop, I loved it, as I didn't have that added action to fire.  But not carrying one on a daily basis, I wouldn't make a Glock pitch to someone that is not used to having the gun.  I have 5 kids, and I don't have one anymore for that reason.  All it takes to fire is to point and shoot.  But overall, the Glock to me is the best gun out there.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090803/samp819057a71e44ad25.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 01:23:36 PM »
I know little to nothing about handguns, but I have wanted to get one for target practice and for home safety.  I do have little kids.  So, I am torn about whether having a gun in the house is a wise idea.  However, I am sold on the reasons to have a gun in certain situations.

I really have no idea what to get.  I want a gun that is simple to operate, reliable, and durable.  After reading a post here, I went to the Springfield website.  I do like the added safety features, but I really have no basis for comparison.

What do you guys recommend?  I am not planning to carry a gun.  This would strictly be for home protection and taking the gun to the shooting range for fun.

The idea of having a gun for protection happened after Hurricane Wilma.  We were without power and basically locked down for a week.  It would have been an added comfort to have some level of protection for my family, under those conditions.

For home security I would suggest a 12 gauge shotgun. Just point in the general direction and fire. No fuss, no bother. In the middle of the night, half awake, adrenalin pumping, you probably won't hit anything with a handgun.

Offline bem75

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 01:24:55 PM »
Good point, Tom.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 09:12:42 PM »

Well, do you have cleaning chemicals in the house?  Antifreeze in the garage?  Electrical outlets?  Expensive, antique and/or fragile items in the house?  Chances are you, and everyone, already has lots of things in your house that you don't want little fingers getting ahold of where they could either cost you a lot of money or die.  But we've got them anyway!  The point is, like all that other stuff you need to keep it out of their hands and educate them on what they are.  Fearmongers have done a good job in making us all think that a gun in the house will guarantee the need to purchase a 3' long coffin in the near future, but it's just not the case.  In fact, being raised properly with firearms educates them on firearms which lessens their risk of misusing one.

This is one of those questions where if you ask 10 people you'll get 10 answers.
First you need to decide if you want a revolver or a semi automatic.  Personally, I hate revolvers.  They don't hold much ammo and I don't like the way they fire.

This is how I came to my decision.  I decided against a revolver and I tend to like reliable easy-to-use things so I was told to look into Glock.  I liked the Glock, but then a friend of mine who is far more educated on all of this suggested Springfield because they have the simplicity and reliability of Glock but additional safety feature.  And to be honest, those safety features rarely interfere with my use of the gun.  I think they were cheaper too so that's what I got.

I chose 9mm because it's an extremely common caliber and cheaper than the bigger ones.  I tried a 45 but didn't like it, and I've noticed that when others use one around me the noise is too loud.  I can literally feel it in my teeth.  9mm is perfect for me.

I chose the tactical model which has a longer barrel than normal to improve accuracy.  I had no interest in carrying this one so the added size didn't matter.

I recommend going to your local gun range and renting a few models to see what you like.  Everyone has different hands and the grip of the gun will be important.

Shotguns are awesome, but you might not want one for home protection because the spray pattern will cause a lot of damage and might cause burgler tissue to bleed all over the place.  Chances are, in a home you're going to be shooting a burgler from 20' or less and if you can't hit a human-sized target from that distance then...well... maybe firearm ownership isn't for you!  :)   OK, ok maybe that's not fair considering the situation might cause lots of shakey, nervous, hands!

I have a 12 gauge shotgun and love it, but I like the handgun more because there's not really any skill in accuracy with a shotgun.  You aim and shoot and pellets hit everything.  The main fun for me in owning a gun is the satisfaction of aiming and hitting a small target.

BTW:  Guns and cans of shaving cream?  Lots of fun, they explode into a shower of white foam!
You don't know me, but I know you.

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 09:20:18 PM »
Good point, Tom.

Yea, that's true.  Nerves and guns will take away your aim.  Also keep in mind that if you keep your guns in a safe like I do the question is practically moot since you might not be able to get to them.  Also, the distinctive sound of a pump action shotgun getting ready for a shot is a powerful deterant!

I just checked your profile.  Shame you're so close but still so far from where I live.  If you're ever in the Orlando area I could take you around to some gun ranges and let you try out my massive collection of 2 guns.  I want a third, someday I want to get one small enough to wear.

Also, since you live in FL get your concealed weapon permit.  It's a useful thing to have, for example if you ever have to go to court for shooting a bad guy it makes you look more like a responsible gun owner since you went through the process.  Thugs won't bother.  It also makes it easier to transport your gun.  You might want to get this (and your gun) before new Federal laws come around that will either make this process more difficult or impossible.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
Rusty is correct in that jacking one into the chamber of a 12 guage will make your blood run cold.

adam_r_todd

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009, 02:33:56 PM »
Nice gun.  I've rented a few Glocks at the range.  Not a proud owner yet though.

Offline bem75

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2009, 02:37:37 PM »
Good stuff, Rusty.  I just looked up the next Gun Show in my area and there is on in Ft. Lauderdale on the 15th.  I'm going to get my CWL.  Its only a 2 hour class.

I looked at the Springfield and I do like the extra safety features.  That would give me a little extra comfort.  I am curious as to the cost of the Springfield.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 03:20:43 PM »
The law regarding a carry permit is obviously a little different in Florida than it is in New Jersey...LOL

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2009, 06:21:30 PM »
The law regarding a carry permit is obviously a little different in Florida than it is in New Jersey...LOL

I have a friend whose sister lives there and I've heard tales of how difficult the government makes it for people to own firearms.  I guess that explains why the state has virtually no crime!   :*))

Oh well, they don't call it The People's Republic of New Jersey for nothing!

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2009, 09:35:26 PM »
I forgot to mention another a big reason I'm such a Springfield proponent: customer service.

My handgun is the first gun I ever owned, and when I bought it I was very inexperienced.  I took it to the range a few times and it fired flawlessly, and then I decided to try cleaning it.  When I put it back together it somehow jammed up like a rock.  My gun store couldn't even repair it.  I sent it to them, they fixed it, and returned it.

Shipping a firearm is a major hassle.  It must be sent overnight mail by UPS or FedEx which is expensive.  I think $80 or so.  I paid that and then Springfield handled the rest.  They said they'd pay for my shipping if the product was defective.  I thought that this must be a classic case of user error so I expected it to be my fault, but a few weeks later I got a check from Springfield for almost the full amount of shipping.

Most companies produce very shoddy products anymore (Microsoft) and have terrible customer support (Microsoft).  Sometimes you find a company that will replace your product but they almost always expect you to pay for shipping no matter who is at fault.  Springfield actually seems to care about their reputation.

I still don't know if it was user error or a defect because I've cleaned and reassembled the gun numerous times since then and have not had a problem.  I think I've even been reassembling it in the same way (just much slower and I double check everything)

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2009, 08:20:55 PM »
Glock's a great a gun, great customer service. Im glad you like the 20sf, are you running 180grn and how hard is it to get 10mm ammo because 45 is impossible. I'm thinking of getting a 9mm, either a model 34 or an XD in service or 5 inch tactical.

BTW Bear I love that AR :@` that gotta be an antique, there's no forward assist and there's  A1 handguards so I'm guessing that's a late 70's early 80's Colt.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 08:22:41 PM by ShadowSide »

Offline BaldBear

• Bald, Bearded and Bear!
  • Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • "woof!"
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2009, 08:34:25 PM »

BTW Bear I love that AR :@` that gotta be an antique,

Yup...but there IS a paper clip!

;-)
Woof!