Author Topic: When BBC becomes MPB  (Read 2972 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
When BBC becomes MPB
« on: February 16, 2008, 08:30:29 AM »
I'm sure we all remember the Seinfeld episode where Elaine tries to talk her BBC boyfriend into growing his hair back, only to find that he has developed MPB during his years of being sly.  The absurdity of the situation made for some great comedy, but looking back I think whoever wrote that episode must have gone through something similar or knew someone else who did.  Sometimes I catch a glimspe of myself in the mirror and notice that rim of shadow around a mostly bald top and it makes me do a little double-take.  Sometimes I forget that I really am that bald and moments like this can be an eye-opener.  I wouldn't say that it's a cause of major distress, just a little reality check.

I'm guessing that more than a few other guys here have had an experience like this.  If you first started shaving as a BBC guy, and over time gradually became an MPB guy, how did you feel about this change?  Were you glad to have less shadow showing on top and less hair to shave? Or did you feel like a choice had been taken away from you?

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: When BBC becomes MPB
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 08:59:43 AM »
Razor...I havent experienced that yet.  But what you said really got me thinking.  I think when that does happen...or if it happened to me right now, I would feel robbed of the freedom to do what I wanted to do.  I wouldnt have that choice any longer because, I will not sport a partial head of hair.  I guess to a sense I would still have a choice...either shave it or grow it....and look ridiculous...but it would be because I had to.

I do find this kind of odd though. Something about my dad.  He has this bald spot right on top of his head, right at the crown.  and he still has hair all around with a high receeding hair line.  To get a visual of my dad bald.....I cant do it.   Here I sit and say that someone who tries doing the comb over or just has that ring of hair around his head, just doesnt look right to me.  But my Dad...I dunno, Im just having mixed feelings on that right now with him.  I have never talked to him about shaving his head...and I dont think he would ever do it anyways...even though he has never told me either way if he likes mine or not, that just my dad though...he believes in doing what ever makes you feel good and its not his place to tell someone something is wrong bout theirselves.

Timmayyyyyy!

Offline Tyro

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 10:56:44 AM »
Sometimes I catch a glimspe of myself in the mirror and notice that rim of shadow around a mostly bald top and it makes me do a little double-take.  Sometimes I forget that I really am that bald and moments like this can be an eye-opener.  I wouldn't say that it's a cause of major distress, just a little reality check.

I'm guessing that more than a few other guys here have had an experience like this. 

It's been almost two years since I shaved off my thinning crown.
Except for a few lazy days, I've been headshaving on a daily basis.
I have noticed that my bald regions have gotten wider.
I know exactly what you're talking about RazorX. I am that bald.

Even though I'm not shaving off a "full" head of hair, I still consider myself bald-by-choice. This is the hair-cut of my choice.

"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choice." -George Eliot

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 03:34:45 PM »
Sometimes I catch a glimspe of myself in the mirror and notice that rim of shadow around a mostly bald top and it makes me do a little double-take.  Sometimes I forget that I really am that bald and moments like this can be an eye-opener.  I wouldn't say that it's a cause of major distress, just a little reality check.

I'm guessing that more than a few other guys here have had an experience like this. 

It's been almost two years since I shaved off my thinning crown.
Except for a few lazy days, I've been headshaving on a daily basis.
I have noticed that my bald regions have gotten wider.
I know exactly what you're talking about RazorX. I am that bald.

Even though I'm not shaving off a "full" head of hair, I still consider myself bald-by-choice. This is the hair-cut of my choice.

This string reinforces my thoughts about this place, it's like a comfort zone where thoughts I have are "validated" and reassure me I'm not gone over the edge.  I can clearly see the "shadow" and now that some decent weather has occured, w/ some more color on the dome, I'm noticing that the "runway" is more clear, less obstructed w/ hair.  I see a patch in front on the left, and a strip over the top, but freshly shaved or 24 hours out, it's clear that MPB is marching on, and I'm happy I got ahead of the game.  I do get a strange "twinge" when I see myself in a mirror, but it's a twinge that I've done the right thing.  Thanks again, guys.

JohnMont

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 05:37:49 PM »

This string reinforces my thoughts about this place, it's like a comfort zone where thoughts I have are "validated" and reassure me I'm not gone over the edge.  I can clearly see the "shadow" and now that some decent weather has occured, w/ some more color on the dome, I'm noticing that the "runway" is more clear, less obstructed w/ hair.  I see a patch in front on the left, and a strip over the top, but freshly shaved or 24 hours out, it's clear that MPB is marching on, and I'm happy I got ahead of the game.  I do get a strange "twinge" when I see myself in a mirror, but it's a twinge that I've done the right thing.  Thanks again, guys.
[/quote]

I feel almost exactly the same way .

Offline Spleener

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 05:56:28 PM »
Speaking as an MPB guy, I still feel that I'm bald by choice. If anything, I think you guys blessed with a full head of hair will be ultimately glad to have already gone sly...you've completely missed those in-between years as the hair thins. Knowing what I know know about shaving my head, I only wish I'd done it five or ten years ago.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com" target="blank"> [img width= height=]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080210/sampa9ce80c0d1455181.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 06:14:23 PM »
Speaking as an MPB guy, I still feel that I'm bald by choice. If anything, I think you guys blessed with a full head of hair will be ultimately glad to have already gone sly...you've completely missed those in-between years as the hair thins. Knowing what I know know about shaving my head, I only wish I'd done it five or ten years ago.

Same here.  I guess I could still be hanging on to the thinning hair that I had.  But life is much better now.  While I could always go back, I can't imagine that I would ever want to.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 06:20:31 PM by SLYinKC »
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 06:46:52 PM »

Same here.  I guess I could still be hanging on to the thinning hair that I had.  But life is much better now.  While I could always go back, I can't imagine that I would ever want to.

Earlier this week I was looking at a 10-year-old photo of myself.  There was some definite recession going on but not much thinning yet.  At the time I didn't think I was anywhere near the point where I needed to shave it, but looking back I think that is probably when I should have started.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 06:57:41 PM »
I have noticed a few times when 3 days of stubble grows back because I am too lazy to shave sometimes, That I've seemed to develop a bit of a widows peak. I've always been known for my thick head of hair but my Dad has a pronounced widows peak so I'm sure it will be thinning more and more over the years.

No problem for me. Actually it will be a blessing because then I will be able to go the laser hair removal route.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 10:24:15 PM »
I had the flu for a couple weeks and naturally, shaving was the last thing I felt like doing.  Yup, you guessed it, I discovered that I have a lot less hair than when I first started shaving!  ???

I don't mind though and in fact, I wish the rest of it would stop growing too!  I AM Sly till I die!  O:O

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 08:18:13 AM »
When I went sly, I had lost the "Widow's Peak" in the front.  So when I had pictures taken, it was noticable that I was a balding man.  However, after I had gone sly and then grew my hair back, a co-worker noticed that my hair was thinning in the back.  Since I had already been shaving my head, I wasn't distressed as both grandfathers were quite bald and dad had extremely thinning hair.  So then I took a look in the mirror and found out it was true.  Shortly after, I had seen a video taped at a family gathering and saw the "bird's nest" in the back of my head.  Then I saw some other photo of the same pattern.  That was enough to convince me to keep "sly" as my primary look.  While I am not slick bald in the back, I can see the decrease of my shadow area.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 06:12:46 PM »

I totally agree with both KC and spleener. I am currently sporting three days growth. I have been shaving similar to the way JDog has stated in another topic. I will let it go for about three or four days now and then, and when I do I notice that my hair in front is moving further away from the crown. It's almost like it's own little island, lol.

I could still grow a head of hair with noticeable mpb, but why on earth would I want to?  :D