Author Topic: Opinions  (Read 3481 times)

Offline MVSicari

• Learning the way of Sly
Opinions
« on: January 04, 2016, 11:05:15 AM »
Hey guys I started shaving my head again. I seem to go for a few months shaved and then decide to grow it out again. I personally feel I look better with hair however this is alot easier and getting a haircut every week at 12$ a piece was getting old (military). I used my headblade sport with HB5 cartridges and use their creams as well. Hopefully the redness goes away in a few days, let me know what you guys think.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Opinions
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 11:15:50 AM »
Welcome! I'm guessing that you clippered your hair down first before shaving. As far as the redness, it should clear up in a few days, but after shaving, I suggest either rubbing your head all over with an ice cube, or run extremely cold water over your head. I would suggest cortisone cream, but everyone reacts differently to it. But both the military haircut and the sly look suits you well. It's nice to have options to go back and forth.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 11:23:22 AM »
You have nice looking hair, but I understand your reasons.  The redness will go away once you scalp adjusts to being shaved.  But are weekly haircuts required to stay within the regulations?  I am not trying to talk you out of going BBC, just offering options.

There are several military hairstyles that look good, IMO.  Another alternative is to buzz it yourself and save the $$ on haircuts.  I went BBC later in life than you, and now I have MPB.  The one thing I regret concerning my hair is that I did not try some of the hairstyles I liked, such as the military high & tight, when I had options.
SlyBeard

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 11:27:07 AM »
Welcome to the board.

Yeah, those initial red spots are annoying, but as SlyBeard said, they usually go away after a few shaves. Your scalp just needs some time to toughen up to the blade.

Do whichever look/style works best for you, but give yourself thirty days to get used to the change before you make the decision. The fortunate thing for your situation is that with that full head of hair, you always can grow it back.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 12:12:38 PM »
Go to Wal-Mart and get some Bump Patrol. Works great on the razor burn.

I think you look good bald, tougher! I try to grow hair back periodically, but only make it 2 or 3 weeks, and can't resist the urge to shave bald again. I just hate the look the first 3 weeks of growing, until I can shape it into a military flattop. It's right about then that the dermatitis flares up. The only way I can stop it is shaving again.

Anyway, you rock the shaved head, so if you like it, keep it! What do your friends and family think of your choice of hairstyle?
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline beardbald

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 12:13:51 PM »
I agree you look better with hair. My suggestion is get some clippers and go for shaving our head with one of the longer blades. Therefore saving you the barbers fee

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 02:44:48 PM »
Honestly, I think you look great either way. You have nice hair but you also look great bald. Lucky guy.  :)

Since you've already shaved, I suggest that you stay bald for awhile -- at least 30 days.  I find that my skin is often a little red right after shaving but it clears up in about 20 minutes.  Your scalp looks pretty irritated so I'd probably wait a day or two before shaving again.  I'd also recommend a different razor.  I'm not a Headblade fan.  I find it irritates my skin more and I'm so more likely to cut myself with a Headblade.  Try a regular razor like a Fusion or Mach III.

Offline MVSicari

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 02:50:43 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys, I usually shave my head for 6 months then grow it out for 6 months, this most certainly isn't the first time shaving it. Wife and family don't  really care either way and yes in the Marine Corps at least you must get a fresh hair cut every week. And sorry slybeard I'm not really sure what BBC and MPB mean lol. I am currently looking into switching to possibly a DE razor, if you couldn't tell I have crazy thick facial hair and have a 5:00 shadow by noon.  I haven't used a Gillette or major brand of razor for years because of the price of cartridges
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 02:57:58 PM by MVSicari »

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 02:59:24 PM »
BBC=Bald By Choice
MPB=Male Pattern Bald(ness)

So, you're a Marine! Cool, thanks for your service.

I shave with a DE, and while the prices of the handles vary, the blades are cheap and can be used more than once if cleaned and stored properly.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.