Author Topic: best shave to get 1-2 days of stubble?  (Read 6160 times)

Offline cueball99

• Learning the way of Sly
best shave to get 1-2 days of stubble?
« on: January 24, 2015, 06:43:46 PM »
Hi, newly shaved head here, bizarre feelings, not sure how things will turn out. Anyway, i tried just using the wahl balding clippers and that got me down to 1.5mm ( shortest guard in the box )...it was sort of ok...but then i didn't like the fact there was too much hair showing on the hairline.
 I then went all sly with the head blade. Feels really weird, i'm not sure it'll be the best look for me, i'll stick a pic up shortly.
 I am thinking it maybe better for 1-2 days of stubble, pretty much the same feel after a fresh shave then couple of days later.
 The balding clippers don't give me that, either too long or too rough? so what is the best approach?
 The problem with the sly stuff is the maintenance, the blades and so on, maybe i just need to find an electric than go just a bit closer if that is possible?
 any ideas?

thnx

Offline cueball99

Re: best shave to get 1-2 days of stubble?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 06:50:41 PM »
Here is the pic....i've got an extremely high hairline at the front and a real long widow's peak which is why i decided to just whip it all off, was wearing hats all the time and just got feud with it - i still prefer the feel of fresh stubble to totally smooth, i guess i'll just have to blade it and wait, can't find anything else to give the same feel.

Offline dlab

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 09:47:17 AM »
I'd rather keep it it at like 3 days growth all the time..  I think a normal pair of hair clippers will keep it at that level.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 12:16:05 PM »
I'd recommend following the 30-day protocol to see if you get used to the sly look. If balding clippers leave it too long for you, I don't think you'll find anything else that'll give you a closer stubble.

But.... I've never tried an electric razor on my scalp either. Maybe somebody else who has tried that can comment on how much stubble that leaves.

Offline clipped

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 09:27:55 PM »
The #0A blade on Andis or Oster Clipper is 2.5 days' length.

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 12:06:13 AM »
I'd recommend following the 30-day protocol to see if you get used to the sly look. If balding clippers leave it too long for you, I don't think you'll find anything else that'll give you a closer stubble.

But.... I've never tried an electric razor on my scalp either. Maybe somebody else who has tried that can comment on how much stubble that leaves.

I've used electric shavers on my head and I find it leaves patchy levels and stubble, but also irritates my head more than anything
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 04:24:08 PM »
I say keep it smooth.  It does feel weird at first but after the 30 days you will get used to it.  I think a stubble looks best when the hairline hasn't yet receded, and as you say, you have a high hairline so a smooth shaved head will look the best.
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline ComicArtist_CKM

• BanditAizo on DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 11:01:20 PM »
What works for me is to shave with the grain and not go back over against it. That leaves it a little prickly which I prefer.
Ahoy.

Offline SimplySly

• Sly and Bearded
  • Ad Free Elite
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 06:56:01 PM »
When I first started it felt a little strange and I couldn't keep my hands off my head.  It's been 60+ days now and it feels very normal and I rarely touch it any more....just takes some getting used to.  Do the 30 day challenge then YOU decide what you like.
Once a word has been allowed to escape, it cannot be recalled.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 09:02:18 PM »
Dude you look really good smooth!  You sure don't want to hide that the winter hats!  My barber uses a electric head shaving razor from wall that he said he bought at Sally beauty supply. It gets my head almost as old as Smooth as a razor blade against the grain.  But I'm not sure if it isn't almost as irritating as shaving.  You know if your hair is not too course you can get away with shaving just every third day if you don't mind having the stubble look on the in between days. Shaving every third day shouldn't be too much of a hassle for you!  But like the guy say you definitely have to give a 30 day challenge before you make a decision to go back to letting it stubble!  I think you'll find it once you get in the routine you Will like it so much that you won't want to be stubbly! That had just looks too good to have anything to hide it!