Author Topic: Need shaving tips from the pros!  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Emann

• Learning the way of Sly
Need shaving tips from the pros!
« on: May 16, 2014, 09:34:39 PM »
Hey I'm a new slyguy and I would like some tips on how to get the best shave possible. I shave every morning. I currently use the headblade, headlube, headscrub, and the Headbump treatment from head blade.   The Headbump treatment feels like hot sauce on my head (does not feel good at all) and i still sometimes have small red bumps on the back of my head. I keep seeing witch hazel and aloe vera come up on these forums; are they good for skin irritation ?  also should i add shave secret to my shaves and also a brush ?  I just want the most comfortable shaving routine.  what do you guys think?

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
Re: Need shaving tips from the pros!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 11:12:18 PM »
Every noggin is different.  A lot of it is going to be trial and error for you.  I use Nivea After Shave Balm for sensitive skin and that seems to work very well for me.  Other folks use other products.  Some folks make their own after shave of witch hazel/aloe vera/tea tree oil (the recipe(s) is somewhere around here).

Since you're new at shaving your head, I would give your head a break and go with the grain for a couple of weeks until your head gets used to being shaved.  Against the grain is great for an ultra smooth finish, but until your skin up there gets used to being shaved, it's going to bump up on you, expecially in the back.

That's just my two cents.  Your mileage may very (YMMV).
One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
Re: Need shaving tips from the pros!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 12:15:56 AM »
welcome, Emann!

Sly looks good on you.  I don't shave every day and that helps a lot with irritation. 

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 08:34:19 PM »
I used to get irritation, so started shaving when I got out of the shower, now use an oil and shaving soap, after, cold rinse and run an ice cube over then alum block, followed by my home made soother....pure aloe vera, mixed with tea tree oil and witch hazel that I keep in the fridge, now no irritation... I also don't often shave on the weekend, unless I'm going out