Author Topic: Job dismissal  (Read 7491 times)

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
Re: Job dismissal
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 12:28:38 AM »
Glad to see you are looking at it from the right angle, lets hope it's not too long of a stretch!

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 06:52:10 AM »
I would imagine that in some other organization, a beard w/ a bald head would be just the "edge" they are looking for.  I think of Marketing today as progressive and edgy.. not preppy and "fit-the-mold" kinda people.  This whole experience may lead to the perfect job for you... one that fits your look (which is who you are).  If you feel that you need to look more professional, just make sure the beard is neatly trimmed (maybe not too long) and has a simple style to the shape.  You can alter it as you  feel is appropriate as you go along.  I had to pick up my company president from the airport one time, so I trimmed my goatee to an ordinary shape (kinda like in my profile pic).  At the time, I was letting it grow at more of an angle toward my jaw line.  I don't feel I have the total freedom to grow the beard-of-beards, but I am pretty content with a beard of any size, because I worked in a job for years where no beard was allowed. 
Good luck to you in your job search, bud!!

theman

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 04:00:04 PM »
 O0 :) 8)

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 12:38:51 PM »
Well, we always say to try the 30 day rule when you're getting used to slydom, let's hope that it also works for getting a job!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 02:03:46 PM »
Since you left under good terms and your former employer offered a good recommendation, sounds like there's no reason to look into a lawsuit. 

As far as shaving your head, go to it!  You'll love it and when you interview, no one will have seen you any other way, so you will look natural as a sly guy.

Good luck!

Offline jaypksfo

• Sly
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 11:44:04 AM »
As a former Lawyer I would suggest you see an employment lawyer.  If you sue they can't retaliate with a bad reference.  You cam't give bad references without opening yourself to possible suit again.  Don't take sh*t like that lying down.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 04:39:42 PM »
Of course Canadian law may differ from U.S.

Ultimately I think you need to decide (perhaps with professional advice) whether this is a battle you want to fight - based on possible expense, time required, etc.  Or is the better path simply to appreciate the boost to move on to an employer/job where you are genuinely appreciated and see opportunities.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline CC Kael

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 10:13:51 PM »
Honestly, I was gettin' the hell outta there as soon as something better came along. Underpaid and underappreciated. I didn't go to university for years to put up with their crap for such low pay.

Despite the dumb reason for dismissal, the whole thing was pretty cordial and we left on good terms with him offering me some contract work. Seems like it was a money issue there as well.

Offline CC Kael

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 10:30:32 PM »
Took the plunge tonight and took it right down to the skin. Can't stop rubbing the scalp but I assume that'll subside...haha. Don't think I'll keep it slick just yet as there are some scalp issues I need to clear up first (seborrhic dermatitis), but this is the first time there hasn't been scabs or flaky skin on my head in years and it feels great. Probably keep it at a short buzz with the occasional shave until I can get the redness from the SD to go away.

Once that finally clears, perhaps I'll pick this up again over in the 30 day section.  :)

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 11:59:58 PM »
Congratulations on the shave. Now you know how good it feels and looks (minus the SD issue), which will make any future decisions much easier and permanent. Continued success on all fronts.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 04:56:35 AM »
Congrats! Have a talk to Schro, as far as I'm aware he dealt with SD and has no issues anymore

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 12:54:19 AM »
Good to hear that there is no pending legal action. Unless there is a probable and huge pay-off it is just not worth the stress and trouble IMHO.

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2012, 09:35:30 AM »
I am surprised that the shaved head and beard were brought up!  I remember many years ago, I  used to work  for Fred Meyer Stores, which is now part of Kroger.  For years, the supermarket industry was one of the most conservative in terms of dress code.  Back in the 1980's, men could only sport a mustache and sideburns down to the bottom of the earlobe and moderately long hair.  I worked for that company off and on during a 10 year stretch in my teens and twenties.  So only during my time while I was attending college, did I even have a beard.  I  had to shave it off during every break when I came back to work.  But NOW, I go into various chain supermarkets and I see shaved head and full beards plus piercings and tattoos!.  Maybe the supermarket industry decided to reflect how their customers look!

Offline bbcguytom

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
I wonder if the 'shaved head' & 'beard' comment was a personal opinion hiding the fact that they found that they can hire someone else for less money?

Enter your email address: