Author Topic: What's your New Year lucky food triditions?  (Read 4064 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: What's your New Year lucky food triditions?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 12:21:13 AM »
I'm sure you're referring to Sriracha sauce...which I always have a bottle on hand!  Though, I only use it for Asian style dishes.  For nachos I have my favorite hot sauces, Valentina being the recent favorite.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Slynito

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 05:54:36 AM »
I'm sure you're referring to Sriracha sauce...which I always have a bottle on hand!  Though, I only use it for Asian style dishes.  For nachos I have my favorite hot sauces, Valentina being the recent favorite.

You're right on...sriacha sauce! Valentina es excelente tambien...when I ate junk food I found it the sauce to use on chicharrones (pork rinds)...now on the infrequent corn chips, etc. So how were the nachos? Did your guests clean the plates?

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 08:05:10 AM »
My family prepared quite a feast on New year's eve. Smoked ham, pork chop, pasta, fried milkfish, cheese, fruit salad, tuna macaroni salad, chocolate cake, beef stew, valenciana and fresh fruits. Any chicken dish is off limits during the new year feast because of a crazy Filipino belief that chicken scrapes the dirt for food and does not bring luck. All this being said..we will be eating leftovers from the feast way into the 1st week of the new year. Hehehe.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Slynito

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 08:14:16 AM »
Oh man! That really sounds like a feast...I would have hurt myself. I thought Valenciana is a paella with chicken, sausages and pork, right? But no chicken at New Years. I'll bet everyone took a snooze after the meal, eh?

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 08:20:05 AM »
We had fresh cracked crab, salad, fresh sourdough bread, several bottles of Far Niente Chardonnay, and the Lovely Mrs. Schro whipped up a chocolate mousse / crushed oreo cake for dessert.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 08:22:52 AM »
Oh man! That really sounds like a feast...I would have hurt myself. I thought Valenciana is a paella with chicken, sausages and pork, right? But no chicken at New Years. I'll bet everyone took a snooze after the meal, eh?

Yes, valenciana is a Filipino adaptation of paella but for new year, we skipped the chicken component. We stayed up way past midnight, a majority of Filipinos are going crazy lighting firecrackers, putting stereos on full blast and dancing in the streets until sunrise, and of course..drinking booze like there's no tomorrow. Crazy...
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 12:38:52 PM »
What surprised me was that the "Red Rooster brand" is made in the US, not imported.  I've only used it with Vietnamese food in restaurants.  Otherwise the hot sauces of choice in our house are from the home team, Tabasco, from Avery Island, LA. 

Offline Sean25

• Super Sly
  • 2010 sly fantasy football champ!
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 01:50:53 PM »
Sriracha is quite possibly the tastiest condiment on earth.

Slynito

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 07:23:24 PM »
Yes, for years I thought, "Red Rooster" was imported from Vietnam until I read an article about the guy who put it on the market in CA. It is pretty tasty sauce.

I went to Avery Island with an old g/f from Lafayette years ago...a beautiful place with the azaleas in bloom and very interesting learning of the process and about the salt domes. She told me how an oil company drilled through one and caused a disaster.

Another interesting sauce is, "Texas Pete" which I began using when I was in the service stationed in NC. It's made in Winston-Salem and has been in the same family since the twenties, unless things have changed.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 08:53:58 PM »
Texas Pete has been my brand of poison for years.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:46:32 AM by Tom Gallagher »

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2012, 10:23:29 PM »

Slynito

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 01:29:56 PM »
All of these sauces are delicious...hummm, I feel a little heartburn coming on.

:D

Enter your email address: