Author Topic: First beard..unsure about where it should start.  (Read 3930 times)

Offline MattG

• Learning the way of Sly
First beard..unsure about where it should start.
« on: January 02, 2012, 10:58:54 AM »
Hey guys.  I'm not sure about where my beard should start or how it should be trimmed?  Should I angle it towards the ears or keep it straight?

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: First beard..unsure about where it should start.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 11:40:09 AM »
Best source of advice I can offer is http://www.beards.org/.  They have the "how to's" of face fur!  On growing the page is: http://www.beards.org/grow.php
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 11:44:04 AM by saintc »

Slynito

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 03:07:27 PM »
Good suggestion...also let it grow in a week or two before you begin sculpting. Good luck!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 03:09:32 PM »
Good suggestion...also let it grow in a week or two before you begin sculpting. Good luck!
A month if possible--really.  Remember going sly is an hour, tops, a great beard is 3 months, even more depending on your individual genetics to see what type of beard you naturally have.  The good news is that the genetics for mpb are often paired with the genetics for great beard development. 

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 04:38:08 PM »
best bet, at least as a starting point, is the line where your glasses or sunglasses sit.  most of us have some sort of tanline at that point and it is a natural break.  I taper mine a bit in the upper couple inches - top half to inch or so is basically a stubble.  works for me this way - it's really all about trial and error to find what suits your face and what you are comfortable maintaining.
TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline outsider82

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 09:37:50 PM »
What I do is use the straight edge of the schick hydro 5 to do a nice clean line at the top of my ear (the top of the part that attaches to your head not the peak of the ear) This provides a nice clean look to the beard. I also edge my beard under my chin, that way it looks like the beard is intentional and for style but not because your lazy. I use the clippers from when I trim my hair before shaving it to keep the general length under control as well as to neaten up the moustache that will slowly creep over the lip.

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 07:18:29 AM »
A month if possible--really.  Remember going sly is an hour, tops, a great beard is 3 months, even more depending on your individual genetics to see what type of beard you naturally have.  The good news is that the genetics for mpb are often paired with the genetics for great beard development. 

I agree and you should give your beard a good month.  But I am MPB and have a very thick beard!  Have fun with it!  In my current pic, I have almost a Santa-like beard.  But now sport a beard like Sailor61.  But I would agree that you can easily make the transition where glasses/sunglasses go!  I wear glasses, so for me it's pretty easy!

Offline MattG

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 03:27:20 PM »
Thanks guys!  I trimmed it up to where the ears start and I think it looks good.  Might give it a shot trimming/fading it up near the top.  Hopefully that will work out well! :D

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 03:58:16 PM »
Just don't trim too early, best to get some length so that you have some room for "mistakes!"

Offline MattG

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 07:33:31 PM »
Good call Saint.  I'll post pictures once my month is up.  Have about a week left.