Author Topic: Oh my! Three fingers instead of one!  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
Oh my! Three fingers instead of one!
« on: September 18, 2011, 05:57:27 AM »
Have any of you used one of these, and if so, are they any good?

http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/dovo-of-solingen-head-shaving-razor.php

Offline emolient

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: Oh my! Three fingers instead of one!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 06:41:21 AM »
Have any of you used one of these, and if so, are they any good?
http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/dovo-of-solingen-head-shaving-razor.php

I have one but don't like it. It uses the same adapters as the HeadBlade (which, I believe are Merkur's design -- the company that manufactures Dovo -- not HeadBlade's) and therefore the same cartridges, but is ergonomically inferior to it.

The way you phrase the question is a bit puzzling. If you've tried using the HeadBlade with one finger it's small wonder that it hasn't performed well. Both it and the Dovo require three fingers. The big diff is that the HeadBlade allows you to apply all the pressure (such that it is) to the rear of the device, whereas the Dovo places it squarely on the cartridge.

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 06:50:44 AM »
?

Im not sure how its puzzling? Headblade has space for one finger. Obviously you wouldnt chop your finger off your hand and just use that one finger (by means of levitation) to shave with, but you can only physically insert one finger into Headblade, whereas the stainless steel thing ^^ requires three fingers.

Hence my question :)

Offline emolient

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 07:24:28 AM »
?
Im not sure how its puzzling? Headblade has space for one finger. Obviously you wouldnt chop your finger off your hand and just use that one finger (by means of levitation) to shave with, but you can only physically insert one finger into Headblade, whereas the stainless steel thing ^^ requires three fingers.

Hence my question :)

Right -- and the HeadBlade requires three fingers, as well, one on each of three ridged pads. This design allows downward pressure to be balanced across these three points according to the user's preference. The Dovo channels all the downward pressure applied by the three fingers through the cartridge, without the auxiliary point of control provided by the tail of the HeadBlade as it rests on the scalp.

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 07:29:15 AM »
Very true, but with respect, thats pedantism at its finest

In reality, both of them would require an entire hand, as well as a wrist, forearm, elbow, upper arm and shoulder to be used properly :D

My question wasnt about the number of fingers needed to use the device. I was simply asking for a review of the product, irrespective of shaving technique.

The only place I mentioned was 'fingers' was in the title line, and that was simply an attention grabber, rather than a question.

I have one but don't like it. It uses the same adapters as the HeadBlade (which, I believe are Merkur's design -- the company that manufactures Dovo -- not HeadBlade's) and therefore the same cartridges, but is ergonomically inferior to it answered my question perfectly! Thanks!

Offline killua1910

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 12:02:49 AM »
 :/O don't understand what the fuss about
I always grab the first one i see at department store O0