Author Topic: Reaction by guys who are losing their hair  (Read 3225 times)

Offline bigstosh

• Sly
  • Proudly bald since May 18, 2012
Reaction by guys who are losing their hair
« on: July 07, 2012, 02:49:50 PM »
I have a friend from childhood who started losing his hair in his 20's.  When he turned 30, he started wearing a hairpiece (it is obvious) and has done so ever since.  I have hair and am BBC.  When I see him he always says, "I don't know why you do that, I'd give anything to have hair."  I just tell him I like the look and feel of it and that people are never satisfied with what they have.  I can't think of anything better to say.  Does anyone else encounter this, and if you do, what is your response?

Stan

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
Re: Reaction by guys who are losing their hair
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 03:24:25 PM »
Haha... I ran into an old time family friend at Family Dollar last year, who is early 70's age, and has been wearing a full rug for almost 40 years.  The thing is, well his rug is VERY thick black hair with the low frontal hairline of a 17 year old (no visible part).  The dead give-away is that his black rug hair in back sort of flips up and his  totally grey nape hair sticks out worse than Bozo the Clown ... I almost ripped off the rug to dust the store shelves ... LOL.  All I could say was, "geez Tony, you have not aged a bit, what is your secret?"   There are great modern mesh base with euro bond undetectable hairsystems that blend with your own hair / color and then there is a dust mop rug or this realistic thing called a razor blade.  To each his own.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 04:16:55 PM »
Does anyone else encounter this, and if you do, what is your response?

I choose not to say anything unless the other person provides the invitation. Genuine friendships are too valuable to lose over something like this.

And, perhaps leading by bald example, the opportunity for enlightenment will come.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline bigstosh

• Sly
  • Proudly bald since May 18, 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 04:32:59 PM »
That's what I'm hoping.  He would look way better without the rug, and just buzz or shave it off.  I don't tell him that since I am a believer in teaching by example.  Although I could tell him, since he has never been afraid to say anything critical about me!
Stan

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 05:44:51 PM »
This is a sensitive topic to bring up, so i wouldn't.  The guys on this forum are very happy to sport the sly look, but other guys have not reached the point where they see the benefits in going sly. 

If someone asks, by all means be honest about how it feels to be sly, but my advice is wait until they approach you.  After all, most of us resent un-asked-for advice.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 09:40:13 PM »
Considering that many guys here got offended when they were asked/told/needled about their MPB before going sly.....we need to do the same for those who may be comfortable as partially bald guys...Sometimes it's better just to leave well enough alone.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Texas

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 10:48:16 PM »
I get a lot of reactions from balding guys at my job, they will ask what made me do it and I just tell them the truth on why I did it(MPB).  Would never suggest it back to them, because I probably wouldnt take it too well if it were to me.  I can tell most consider it though

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 05:05:19 AM »
I'm a deadly honest guy that has learned, with age, to temper my comments some... even when asked something..... BUT..... I would be honest but considerate. If someone that wore a rug asked me why I shaved my head I would tell them. No RUGS, DRUGS, or PLUGS.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 07:05:47 AM »
If a good friend went “Bozo the Clown” (I laugh every time I read that) and had hair transplants, I would not say anything to him as I know how sensitive the subject can be, and the matter would stay closed so as not to ruin the friendship.  I believe that you do not give an opinion about anyone’s bodily features unless you are asked.

However, if my friend asked, "I don't know why you do that; I'd give anything to have hair."  Then he has opened the topic with a question and I would certainly respond by sharing my thinning hair journey and suggesting that he tries going sly.

Incidentally, I have met many people but never met anyone with hair transplants before.  Strange, I don’t know why that is.
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."