Author Topic: Razor burn, any tips?  (Read 2186 times)

Offline NYBaldDude

• Learning the way of Sly
Razor burn, any tips?
« on: July 04, 2010, 03:54:20 PM »
Hey guys, just shaved the dome for the 4th of July.
Been shaving on and off for 10 years, the only problem
I've had is I can only shave against the grain on top (I shave
Straight back) and if I try to go ATG on the back or sides I get crazy razor burn.
I use headslick or baldguyz gel and the fusion razor, and use baldguyz moisturizer after I shave. Any tips to get a real smooth
Head and avoid the burn?

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
Re: Razor burn, any tips?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 10:23:36 PM »
I have the same problem.  After 2 years it's still very difficult to go against the grain with a razor on the sides or the back.  So I do one of the following:
(1) shave only the top against the grain, the sides and back with the grain and enjoy my dome
(2) use an electric razor to go against the grain for the sides and the back.  I use the panasonic wet and dry.

I find that with bald guyz or headslick it's still difficult to go against the grain on the back and sides without razor burn.  What offers you more protection is citizen smooth shave cream (http://www.citizensmooth.com/).

Citizen smooth shave cream reduces the razor burn significantly but it takes me too much time to shave.  My razor will not glide as quick as it does with bald guyz.  But in any case, it might be worth giving it a try.   
Also, try shaving in the shower.  Some guys report that shower shaves reduce razor burn and it's easier to shave.   
Good luck.

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 11:34:08 PM »
Hey guys, just shaved the dome for the 4th of July.
Been shaving on and off for 10 years, the only problem
I've had is I can only shave against the grain on top (I shave
Straight back) and if I try to go ATG on the back or sides I get crazy razor burn.
I use headslick or baldguyz gel and the fusion razor, and use baldguyz moisturizer after I shave. Any tips to get a real smooth
Head and avoid the burn?

I had razor burn problems too. instead of shaving at the sink do it in the shower while the water is running hot, this will make all the hair come off on one-two passes no problem and little pressure, it also keeps your skin hydrated cutting down on irritation.
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 08:39:39 AM »
i recommend shaving with the grain first, then shaving against. also, what razor are you using? maybe try out something else? and also, after shaving, be sure to rinse with COLD water, and then try rubbing a couple ice cubes over your razor burn zones until the cubes are completely melted. then apply after shave and any moisturizers. good luck
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 05:45:06 PM »
Try not to shoot for perfectly smooth at first till your scalp gets used to the routine.  I agree, go with the grain at first and use the cold water rinse for sure.   O0

I also lather up my scalp with HeadSlick in the shower 1st thing, let it sit there till I've washed the rest of my body then do the head shave.  Finish up with face wash and good rinse and cold water on the noggin as the last step.  I don't rub my scalp dry but pat it dry.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 05:48:42 PM by Sgt. Pate »

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 08:40:07 PM »
I had that problem too. To cut down on razor burn, after getting out of the shower, I apply a little bit of King of Shave oil and then apply shaving cream on top of that. For me the KOS does the trick. It gives an extra layer of lubrication to help the blade glide on the scalp. You may also try using a face scrub on your head while in the shower to get rid of all the dead skin.

Let us know what you try and what works best for you. Everyone's skin is different.

Offline hipstersaint

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 11:27:42 AM »
does the razor make a difference? or is it just enough that it's a sharp  new blade?

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 09:13:42 PM »
does the razor make a difference? or is it just enough that it's a sharp  new blade?

The razor can make all the difference . Try a few different brands.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."