Author Topic: Witch Hazel as an aftershave?  (Read 6623 times)

Offline Crowbar

• Sly
Witch Hazel as an aftershave?
« on: April 09, 2013, 09:27:12 PM »
As I have only just started head shaving, currently I use nothing after I shave. I am wondering if witch hazel is any good to help cool the skin and help in preventing head bumps/acne?
What brand would you recommend? with alcohol? Or no alcohol?
The only ones I've seen have alcohol (around 14%)
Thanks heaps :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 10:01:39 PM by crowbar »

and the end of our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
Re: Witch Hazel as an aftershave?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 10:39:16 PM »
Witch hazel, for me, is a really good after shave. It not only cools the skin, it also cleans and closes the pores. That, in turn, helps reduce the shine.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Crowbar

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 10:43:58 PM »
Witch hazel, for me, is a really good after shave. It not only cools the skin, it also cleans and closes the pores. That, in turn, helps reduce the shine.

How do you apply it? with a cotton ball or something?
and the end of our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 02:50:30 AM »
I use TN Dickinson brand with Alcohol every day!

Just splash it in the head and face after a shave. It's a nice astringent and pretty damn cheap too.

Also look into an Alum Block its also great!
Lynchy

Offline smoothsailing

• Sly
  • hairfree = carefree
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 02:53:05 AM »
Hey CB!

I use a variety of aftershaves on my head post-shave followed with some balm because my skin gets razor burn easily!  I usually gently pat my head with a towel before applicatoin to keep the aftershave from blending with the excess water on my head.  In my opinion this allows for maximum exposure of the aftershave to your skin.

I always apply aftershave with the ole left and right hand.  I couldn't see using anything else since I imagine cloth-like materials would absorb a lot of the aftershave.  Never tried though, couldn't hurt to experiment  O0

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 05:16:52 AM »
I use Witch Hazel, it's a nice alternative to traditional aftershave and it doesn't burn as much....but I would never just not use anything at all because that would lead to bumps in most cases. I do use the aftershave sometimes for that nice "post-haircut" smell, however.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Crowbar

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 06:13:30 AM »
I use Witch Hazel, it's a nice alternative to traditional aftershave and it doesn't burn as much....but I would never just not use anything at all because that would lead to bumps in most cases. I do use the aftershave sometimes for that nice "post-haircut" smell, however.

I'm getting the head bumps, well in my case I'd call it acne head bump combo. I had it before I even started shaving my head. It was bad when I had longer hair and improved almost straight away when I started clipping with the Baldfader.
I'm kinda hoping it may get even better now that I'm Sly if I follow the right routine.

Offline Crowbar

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 06:17:39 AM »

Just splash it in the head and face after a shave. It's a nice astringent and pretty damn cheap too.

Where do you recommend I get an alum block Lynchy? Thanks heaps :)

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 10:38:21 AM »
I use witch hazel most of the time after shaving my head. It is a great astringent and sooths the skin. I also use some aloe vera gel. both are pretty cheap and you can find them at Walmart. For razor bumps you could try Headblade clear head or Sea Breeze which helps clear up bumps.

As for using witch hazel, I just pour it on my head out of the bottle. It has a small hole to use as an applicator.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 10:42:14 AM »
I would like to try some alum block sometime. Where can I find it?

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 01:33:30 PM »
I use Thayer's witch hazel and have for years. Just slather it on like after shave.

Offline gutsygirl

• Surviving Chronic Illness with a Smile :D
  • Sly
  • Gutsy is as Gutsy does!
    • Naturally Gutsy - surviving gastrointestinal illness with a smile!
Re: Re: Witch Hazel as an aftershave?
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 01:05:38 AM »
I like witch hazel too. I pat my head dry after I shave, then just pour a little witch hazel in my palms and wet my head with it. After a min or so I like to finish off with razorock aftershave wax. If I notice any redness on my neck especially, I will use just a dab of bump stopper between the witch hazel and the razorock aftershave wax. 

With this routine my bumps are now no longer an issue! Oh, I did have to work out kinks with razors for a while too but now I loooove my gillette guard razors and I'm saving so much cha-ching by using these rather than those dumb cartridge razors that rhymed with Mach III. Much less irritating! 

Best of luck!
CRPSablaze.wordpress.com, NaturallyGutsy.com

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 04:41:49 AM »

Where do you recommend I get an alum block Lynchy? Thanks heaps :)

Any online shaving shop ie:

Bullgoose
Shaving.ie
West coast shaving
Bestshave.net

Or if you want to go more expensive you could order from mensbiz

Heaps of places! ;)
Lynchy