Ingersoll-Rand
3 (37.5%)
Other Pro tool (Snap-On, etc)
1 (12.5%)
Campbell Hausfeld
0 (0%)
Mastercraft or Craftsman
4 (50%)
Whatever came in the box with my compressor, dude!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Air Powered Impact Wrench  (Read 2450 times)

Offline babzog

• Sly Guy in Training
Air Powered Impact Wrench
« on: April 21, 2009, 10:27:04 PM »
I originally bought a Campbell Hausfeld kit from Costco, but the impact gun, while it ran, was too weak to even get the wheel nuts off my car.  Returned it and picked up a Mastercraft 71pc toolset for 65% off last Dec.  Damn impact gun would take the nuts off, but would often stall - air would blow through it but no running action.  Returned it today and ordered an Ingersoll Rand 2135QtiMax after my brother in law brought his 2135Ti over to help me finish a job I couldn't complete with my "kit gun".

Every time I think I'm getting a good deal, I prove to myself that I get exactly what I pay for, particularly when it concerns tools.  I HATE not having the right tools for the job!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Air Powered Impact Wrench
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 11:43:21 PM »
I wish I could even vote!

Though, one thing you should always do is tighten your lug nuts by hand.  If you have your tires serviced, ask them to do the same.

Here's why:  Last hunting season we were up in Idaho hunting.  We all bagged an Elk after the second day of the season, so we headed into town (we're talking like 20 people live in the town) and went to the only Bar/Burger Joint/Post Office/Sheriff place to get a burger and some beer as we were too tired to cook from packing out 4 Elk that day.

Anyways, we come outside and my dad has a flat on his Tahoe.  Well, being it was around 5 degrees and we weren't dressed to change a tire in that weather we decided to call AAA.  They showed up about 45 min later and went to remove the tire.  The guy broke not one, but two lug wrenches because the lug nuts were so tight.  We were glad we called him!  Anyways, you never know when you have to change a tire and it probably won't be when you have a air wrench handy.  So, sounds like your nuts were too tight.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 10:07:43 AM »
Nuthin' worse than tight nuts, huh Ty?   lol..     ;D

Offline BaldMark

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 01:32:43 PM »
hahaha that was a good one!  I totally agree with Tyler!  I have an impact gun but i never use it. They tend to break the wheel studs or strip the nuts I always do them by hand and use a torque wrench. 

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 02:06:31 PM »
I have a big nasty Matco impact I bought that is made by IR. That sucker has some hit!!! One way to avoid over tightening when using an impact is to use a torque stick. No matter how many times you hit it, or what the torque setting is on, it will not over tighten the nuts.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline THier

• Super Sly
  • Sorry for bad camera phone pic,,
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 05:50:34 PM »
I have a big nasty Matco impact I bought that is made by IR. That sucker has some hit!!! One way to avoid over tightening when using an impact is to use a torque stick. No matter how many times you hit it, or what the torque setting is on, it will not over tighten the nuts.

100% agree with that, my IR (2141 I think, it's the "plastic"gun) has something like 600ft lbs loosen and 400 tighten, it will brake Cummins head bolts loose no problem, I also have an 18v Dewalt cordless, I use a tq STICK FOLLOWED BY MY tq wrench, stick is dead on.

Offline babzog

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 11:29:30 PM »
The CH gun wouldn't take off half the nuts that I'd hand torqued to 80lbs only a few weeks earlier.  Had to break out the breaker bar (which kinda negates the usefulness of the impact).  I use it to spin the buts on but I always hand torque them.  Makes tire changing so much faster (and who doesn't love the sound of air tools)!

I had CT Boutique repair a tire on my wife's car and had the same problem with tight nuts - monkeys there tightened them so hard that I resorted to bouncing on the end of a breaker bar (and barely got them off).

This part weekend, I was trying to remove the lower bolt from the rear strut on my Civic and the kit gun couldn't do it - she was stuck in there quite firmly!  No place in my garage for useless tools.

Offline THier

• Super Sly
  • Sorry for bad camera phone pic,,
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 06:25:26 AM »
The CH gun wouldn't take off half the nuts that I'd hand torqued to 80lbs only a few weeks earlier.  Had to break out the breaker bar (which kinda negates the usefulness of the impact).  I use it to spin the buts on but I always hand torque them.  Makes tire changing so much faster (and who doesn't love the sound of air tools)!

I had CT Boutique repair a tire on my wife's car and had the same problem with tight nuts - monkeys there tightened them so hard that I resorted to bouncing on the end of a breaker bar (and barely got them off).

This part weekend, I was trying to remove the lower bolt from the rear strut on my Civic and the kit gun couldn't do it - she was stuck in there quite firmly!  No place in my garage for useless tools.

I discovered this when I started wrenching for a living,, that is how I ended up with the IR. I have owned, and still have, Craftsman, (Made my CP,) couple of different CP guns, but love the IR for anything serious. The Dewalt 18V is a very good gun for tire changes at the track, and 90% of anything else, it's nice not to have a hose dragging around.

OK second favorite ait tool??  For me it is my 90* air grinder, then wizz  wheel, air drill, and Nibbler.

Tom

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 10:41:29 PM »
Nuthin' worse than tight nuts, huh Ty?   lol..     ;D

I hate tight nuts!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.