Author Topic: Laptop Batteries  (Read 1759 times)

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
Laptop Batteries
« on: November 03, 2008, 08:43:07 PM »
I have a Toshiba laptop that is about 2 1/2 years old.  In the past week, I've really noticed that my battery is getting really bad.  It won't last for much over a half hour.  This not good for my SBG time.

I found a battery on Ebay (with the help of Ben32) for $50.  The local battery store is $100. 

Does anyone any any suggestions or experience with replacing your laptop battery?

<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
Re: Laptop Batteries
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 03:34:53 AM »
I always keep my laptop pugged in and hardly ever just run off the battery....have never had a problem in years doing that....I have had 3 laptops and don't believe I have ever replaced a battery....maybe it's just dumb luck on my part.... :-\

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 03:36:25 AM »
Rick, I purchased my Toshiba laptop about the same time you did and have had no problem.  However, there WAS a news report the other day that they were recalling batteries from our model year and later due to a fire hazard.  You may be able to get the battery replaced for free if you take it back to your dealer or place of purchase.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 08:25:10 AM »
I also keep mine plugged in for the most part and get about 90 minutes on battery when set to high performance but I have heard that over the years the performance deteriorates.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 08:58:19 AM »

1. If you do not use your laptop for extended periods of time (a week or more), remove the battery pack from the laptop.

2. Do not expose the battery to high heat or freezing temperatures. Do not leave your battery in your car in the summer. Hot batteries discharge very quickly, and cold ones can't create as much power.

3. Make sure to plug your laptop charger adapter into a UPS and not directly into a power outlet or surge protector.

4. If you have a nickel-metal hydride battery, completely drain and recharge the battery once a month to maximize its capacity to hold a charge.

5. Fully charge new battery packs before use. New pack needs to be fully charged and discharged (cycled) a few times before it can condition to full capacity.

6. For laptops that work as Desktop Replacement, the battery should be re-installed every 3-4 weeks and allowed to fully discharge.

7. Leaving a battery in a laptop while using an electrical outlet for long periods of time will keep the battery in a constant state of charging up and that will reduce the life cycle of the battery.

Battery-saving sleep modes: Should I use Stand By or Hibernate

Standby mode
Use standby to save power when you will be away from the computer for a short time while working - your monitor and hard disks turn off, all applications and open files are stored in RAM. When you want to use the computer again, it comes out of standby quickly, and your desktop is restored exactly as you left it.

Hibernation Mode
Use hibernation to save power when you will be away from the computer for an extended time while working - your computer shuts down to save power but first saves everything in memory on your hard disk. When you restart the computer, your desktop is restored exactly as you left it.

When you choose Start, Turn Off Computer in Windows XP, your options are Stand By, Turn Off, and Restart. To Hibernate, place the cursor over Stand By, then hold down Shift and click.

For lithium ion:
 Simple Guidelines

* Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.

* Batteries with fuel gauge (laptops) should be calibrated by applying a deliberate full discharge once every 30 charges. Running the pack down in the equipment does this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate and in some cases cut off the device prematurely.

* Keep the lithium-ion battery cool. Avoid a hot car. For prolonged storage, keep the battery at a 40% charge level.

* Consider removing the battery from a laptop when running on fixed power. (Some laptop manufacturers are concerned about dust and moisture accumulating inside the battery casing.)

* Avoid purchasing spare lithium-ion batteries for later use. Observe manufacturing dates. Do not buy old stock, even if sold at clearance prices.

* If you have a spare lithium-ion battery, use one to the fullest and keep the other cool by placing it in the refrigerator. Do not freeze the battery. For best results, store the battery at 40% state-of-charge.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 09:00:03 AM »
I have a Toshiba laptop that is about 2 1/2 years old.  In the past week, I've really noticed that my battery is getting really bad.  It won't last for much over a half hour.  This not good for my SBG time.

I found a battery on Ebay (with the help of Ben32) for $50.  The local battery store is $100. 

Does anyone any any suggestions or experience with replacing your laptop battery?

When you replace your battery, make sure you clean the contact points with alcohol. Pop it in once you have cycled it and you should be ready to go!

(|8-)

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 10:11:18 AM »
2 1/2 years is a little on the short side, but if you operate off the battery a lot or stored or used it in extreme temperatures, that's not surprising.

I had an IBM battery last five years until I killed it off and a newer one by living in the tropics.  They both deteriorated pretty quickly once they started to lose time.

Definitely check for warranty issues, because there were a lot of batteries involved in various recalls a couple of years ago.

Is the eBay battery new?  Was it stored properly?