Author Topic: Against The Grain  (Read 3301 times)

Offline Swamp Ape

• Sly Guy in Training
Against The Grain
« on: April 19, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
I have searched a little here and on the web. I am looking for tricks to shaving ATG. I am on day 11 and tried it once. It really felt like I was scraping my skin which in turn can inflame it and cause razor burn. Anybody have any advice or tricks for this? I am using a HB, Headslick, and a Gillette fusion for the area around my ears.

Thanks

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
Re: Against The Grain
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 04:18:11 PM »
What are you doing for prep? Shaving in the shower or at the sink? My first guess is you're not getting the stubble softened up enough.
TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline Argyle

• Super Sly
    • The Mighty Pilgrims
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 02:31:21 AM »
All I can say is stick with it.  I have been shaving for about five years now, and started every other day.  Now religiously I shave each and every day and only go against the grain and dont get any irritation at all.  Shaving in the shower helps as well, soaking under hot water just softens everything up.
A SBG's head shines so other SBG's always have the opportunity to see the reflection of how good they look!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 05:08:44 AM »
You could also try a little Shave Secret applied to your scalp prior to applying the HeadSlick. Shave Secret can be had at Wally World for about $3 and is an awesome product.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Swamp Ape

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 04:53:07 PM »
I will try some of your ideas. I probably don't soak my head enough. I shave at the sink and wash my head/face in water as hot as I can take, then I lather my head, then my face. Then I shave my face. Touch up the lather on my head and shave it. I will try to shave in the shower. I am getting better at learning my head, so I can almost  shave by feel. I will try your ideas and let you know if I still have issues.

Thanks

Offline garra

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 06:55:51 AM »
I waited about 4 weeks before going against the grain.  First I lather with HeadSlick and shave with the grain all over.  Then re-apply HeadSlick again and go against the grain.  I have actually found going against the grain has really helped in settling down the ingrown hairs on my head.  It does feel weird going against the grain as it feels like its ripping your skin, but stick with it.

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 10:27:05 AM »
I think the key to shaving against the grain is preparation before shaving.  I am a shower shaver.  I like to give my head a good hot soaking before I apply anything.  This seems to loosen the pores and hair for a smoother shave.  I notice that I do show some irritaion if I press too hard with my razor.  I use a HeadBlade.  I took several times for practice for me to get the right amount of pressure
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 04:18:12 PM »
I used to shave in the sink until I started shaving my head.  Now I shave face and head in the shower.  I'm a touch shaver now, but you can get a good shower mirror for under $10.00 just about anywhere.  I got mine at Target.
One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline SlyBaldDude

• Sly
    • Standing Out In the Crowd
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 04:29:27 PM »
I've seen this come up from time to time.  I shave against the grain.  But .. only after I have sat in the hot shower for about 5 minutes to soften things up.  Otherwise you could end up with a bumpy mess.  Also .. a fresh sharp razor is a must.  The duller the razor,  the more bumps I get when shaving against the grain.  Actually .. I don't get bumps.  I get these little nicks that after a few more shaves turn in to something like an expelled pimple.  Really annoying .. TMI?