Poll

What do you think is the toughest group of athletes there is?

Football
Soccer
Rugby
Rodeo Cowboys
Hockey
MMA Fighters
other

Author Topic: tough athletes?  (Read 5226 times)

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: tough athletes?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 08:18:45 AM »
The poll means nothing if you don't define tough first.

Are you just upset that lacrosse wasn't mentioned?  ;)

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Pshrynk

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 08:29:36 AM »
^^^ I am not  :x!

Soccer, Hockey, Lacrosse and Football players are purse carriers compared to bull fighters, MMA and rugby players  ;)

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 09:31:58 AM »
I think the toughness of rugby is overrated...sure you dont wear pads...but the collisions are not at the same speeds that collisions in football, and certainly hockey, take place.

I think MMA definitely takes the cake, with hockey and football in second. Then rugby. Then Lax. Then soccer.
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Pshrynk

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 09:38:39 AM »
^^^^

No way... have you watched professional box lacrosse?  As rough as hockey or football if not rougher.

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 09:54:07 AM »
^^^^

No way... have you watched professional box lacrosse?  As rough as hockey or football if not rougher.

Again, the speed of hockey makes the collisions harder, and the fact that you can fight makes it tougher. Blood is drawn more often in hockey, as well.

And again, ALL of the sports listed above have the toughest athletes in the world, I'm not saying Lax players are not tough. But I've played football, hockey, rugby, and lax...so I am just speaking from personal experience.
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Pshrynk

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 10:02:46 AM »
^^^^

I disagree,

I'm talking box lacrosse here.  Lax players run full speed - hit and get hit at full tilt.  The sticks are used as weapons to cross-check and hit -- :x!   unlike those whiny-baby hockey players that whine about stick play  ;D

In terms of fighting --- box lacrosse has fisticuffs all the time and the punches surely land a lot harder from flat feet than they do on skates.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 11:10:38 AM »
Also take into consideration that bullriding was voted the most dangerous sport in the world. A poll was taken of physicians a few years back and they were asked the same question. Hands down the bullriders and bullfighters won. They claimed hockey players a close second.

The biggest reason rodeo cowboys are so tough in my opinion, they ride no matter what. If they don't ride, they don't get paid. The worst I ever rode with was a cracked rib and dislocated shoulder. Guys have had much worse and still tied in.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 11:48:05 AM »
^^^^

I disagree,

I'm talking box lacrosse here.  Lax players run full speed - hit and get hit at full tilt. The sticks are used as weapons to cross-check and hit -- :x!   unlike those whiny-baby hockey players that whine about stick play  ;D

In terms of fighting --- box lacrosse has fisticuffs all the time and the punches surely land a lot harder from flat feet than they do on skates.

I think you're moving quicker when you skate than when you run. At least I do...
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 11:56:21 AM »
I played hockey for 15 years, rubgy in college, and soccer all my life.
From my personal experience, rugby is the toughest (regardless of the definition of "tough")

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2008, 12:00:42 PM »
I played hockey for 15 years, rubgy in college, and soccer all my life.
From my personal experience, rugby is the toughest (regardless of the definition of "tough")

Yeah Shro...I guess the answer will be different for everyone based on personal experiences
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Pshrynk

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2008, 04:05:03 PM »
^^^^

I disagree,

I'm talking box lacrosse here.  Lax players run full speed - hit and get hit at full tilt. The sticks are used as weapons to cross-check and hit -- :x!   unlike those whiny-baby hockey players that whine about stick play  ;D

I think you're moving quicker when you skate than when you run. At least I do...

I suppose there is that. 

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2008, 10:04:47 PM »
Rugby all the way, hockey close second
==SLY SERGEANT==