Author Topic: Shaving when travelling overseas?  (Read 6198 times)

Offline kristian

• Sly Guy in Training
Shaving when travelling overseas?
« on: July 09, 2008, 08:23:29 AM »
Has anyone here been overseas to a 3rd world country or a place where the tap water isnt good for drinking, I was wondering if it would be safe to shave with tap water, or would the risk of a shaving cut being contaminated with dirty water cause a problem, I guess this question also go's out to any non sly members, face shaving could also be a problem.

Also if I have all the shots, would that make it less of a problem.?

Im travelling to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Egypt.

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Shaving when travelling overseas?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 08:30:37 AM »
Interesting, never thought about this. My dad goes to India a lot...and he shaves there no problem. Although he did grow up there. But he's been in the states for 38 years now so he does have to take all the precautions that other Americans traveling to India have to take.

I would say maybe use an electric while in countries with questionable water supplies
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 08:36:09 AM »
Shots are very important.  I haev been to third world countries.   I have been to Haiti, water quality there is almost non existant.  You can only basically take a shower in it.  However, when I was there last I had not been shaving my head at that point.  I did shave my face but only in a bowl with bottled water.  In Haiti you do not have hot water...but you might get lucky and get warm water.  I believe it is just going to take you being a man and shaving with cold water.  Im going to give it a go, but I am also considering buying one of those camping water heater bags.  You fill it with water and hang it out in the sun and it heats up.  This go around is going to be alittle different since I started shaving my head.  I go back to Haiti in Oct. so I will be trying to figure all of that out.

Offline Jer

• People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
  • Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 03:46:39 PM »
You know, I lived in Ecuador for 2 years, and I never even thought of that one.  I mean, I had taken all the shots and pills and such, and was always seeing the advisories to not drink the water, but I never thought twice about it and just did my normal shower and shave routine.  I've been back 7 years now and haven't been sick with anything.  Who knows, I could be lucky though.

What I would suggest is talking to your doctor, or travel doctor - if you have any of those travel clinics there that specialize in all the shots and meds needed depending on where you're traveling to.  They would probably be able to answer that best.

Anyway, good luck with that!

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 04:28:49 PM »
A good place to go to make sure you have all of your shots is the County Health Department.  Alot of times you may get those shots for free because I got 2 of them free when I went there.  The County Nurse will give them to you right there.

BaldRob