Author Topic: Annual Anniversary Post!  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Ozz2012

• Sly Jr.
Annual Anniversary Post!
« on: December 29, 2017, 03:00:17 PM »
Hi all,

I'm a long time member, but not a frequent poster...more of a reader.

However, I've made sure that every December 29, I make sure to post to anyone who is unsure about taking the plunge.

Today is the 6th anniversary of the first time I "jumped into the deep end".   I wanted to do something "different" for the New Year, but didn't know what....something to the house....new clothes.....didn't really know...

Had to pick up a prescription at Walmart...and while waiting walked around and ended up in the Hair Clipper aisle....started to walk past and then thought "Oh man....people would get a kick out of this"....(I had shoulder length hair and hadn't had a short haircut in years and years)

So...I bought them.....brought them home....stood looking in the bathroom mirror for (no lie) probably 5 minutes or better.....thought about chickening out....and then took a deep breath and went right down the center of my head (so that I couldn't decide to quit)......

It wasn't sly that first time.....I was on vacation for about a week....and truth be told, I believe the first cut was a "5".....but...for me that was just as good as being bald!

BUT....the next day I thought "I wonder what a 4 would look like"......and the day after it was a 3, then a 2...within a week I had brought it down to a blade only cut.

And, I wasn't sure about it at first....thought I looked funny.....was nervous going out in public.....but what I found was that I grew used to the look...and, in fact, think my pictures with hair look funny now....so it's all just perspective.

And going out in public?  No one cares what you look like....they have their own problems.....and if they don't know you....you ALWAYS looked like that, as far as they know.

Family members, friends and coworkers?   Wellllll....you may take some ribbing....and you may hear some unkind things.......but most will be supportive....and those that aren't will get used to it.   And if they don't?  Then forget them....just ignore the negativity and eventually they'll stop.  (No one likes to be ignored).

My mother and sister (who I thought would give me the most grief) didn't have anything bad to say. 

Some coworkers made fun for awhile....but....it didn't last long.   To be honest, even today I'll get comments from time to time....but not negative....just joking around type of things.

So.....if you're thinking about buzzing or shaving but are nervous about it.....that's normal.   But  I will say this.....I wish I would have done it years before......

Why?

It's SO much more convenient....I can stay in bed longer in the morning....I don't need a hair dryer....no more creams or sprays or other things to make it look good or keep it in place......

Hats don't ruin my hair anymore!  Windy days are now my friend!  Rain is awesome to be outside in!  "Bed-Head" is a thing of the past!

There's really no negatives (other than I have to wear a winter hat earlier....it's amazing how much heat my hair kept on my head!)

I could go on....but the thing is......if it's something you've been thinking about, do it.  Give it a month...like the forum says...because it WILL take a while for you to adjust to the look.....

But...if you don't like it....it will grow back.....and at least you tried.

And if you need support......the members of this forum can't be beat in that department.   They were all in your shoes at one time or other and know what it's like.

A Happy New Year to all and may it bring good times to you and your families.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
Re: Annual Anniversary Post!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 04:19:06 PM »
A wonderful summary Ozz
Roger

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 09:36:19 PM »
Thanks OZ,

You were one of the guys who led me to stay BBC for over a year this time.  I really like your look and even keep my goatee groomed like yours! (laser straight on the sides)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 12:41:36 PM »
Excellent post. Happy New Year!

Enter your email address: