Author Topic: New Year's Day Dinner  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
New Year's Day Dinner
« on: January 01, 2016, 09:31:06 AM »
When I was a kid growing up in Western Pennsylvania, the traditional dinner for New Year's day in my neighborhood was roast pork with sauerkraut (I grew up in a heavily German / central European area).  It was considered bad luck to start the year with poultry.  "Dinner" was served at noon so the rest of the day could be be spent relaxing.

My wife is of Italian ancestry and grew up in the New York City area.  For her family, New Year's Day dinner was either a pasta dish or seafood and was always served at about 5:00 PM. 

Since we've been married, New Year's Day dinner has typically been a seafood meal - today will be grilled salmon. 

Do you have any special meal - or traditions to start the New Year?

Offline 4fit

• Super Sly
Re: New Year's Day Dinner
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 09:51:13 AM »
My wife is from Pennsylvania every year she fixes that pork and sauerkraut. This is my 30th year of enduring the stench. It litterly makes me want to gag. At this moment the house reaks!

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 12:07:44 PM »
Jay is a southern boy at heart, so for us it's black-eyed peas.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 05:08:22 PM »
Black-eyed peas, Collards, Brisket ....
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Enter your email address: