Author Topic: New shaver, need help and advice  (Read 1267 times)

Offline JoeyM

• Learning the way of Sly
New shaver, need help and advice
« on: August 07, 2013, 02:14:24 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm a 16 year old high school student and wanted a big change to my look for the coming school year. About 2 weeks ago I buzzed my hair with clippers as short as I could and ordered a headblade the following night. 2 weeks later and I received my head blade, yesterday was my first shave and it was great, I had nicked myself a few times and found that it was hard to get rid of stubble in some areas. Today I shaved again due to fast growing hair and I couldn't get my hair smooth without cutting myself. I have a lot of cuts around my head now and most are minor and unnoticeable but I was hoping someone could give me advice, the stubble just won't go away until pressure is added. Also I need advice on wether I should wait for the cuts to go away before I shave, and what kind of headcare should I use in terms of creams, oil, ointments or even sunscreens?

To summarize;
Can't get smooth feel without adding pressure and many cuts follow with pressure

Advice for beginners on products or strategies

Anyways I'm getting back to school in about a month and would appreciate as much help as I can get to perfect the look before then. Thanks!

-Joey

My setup:
Headblade Atx
Head slick

Offline g_bald

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Bald IS beautiful... and it will always be so!
Re: New shaver, need help and advice
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 02:53:13 PM »
Try going with the grain with a regular razor first, then re-shave against the grain. You should not need to use much pressure.

You are probably getting cuts because you are cutting through the hair hoping it shaves it smooth in one stroke. Use nice long strokes and use your fingers to guide you. I have trouble spots too.

Also check your blades, if the blades are not sharp you will get a less effective cut and you will also probably get a really irritated scalp.

When you are done, make sure to lotion up your scalp (light amount, a little goes a long way) as shaving will tend to dry out your skin a bit. I use a tiny amount of body oil, then a tiny amount of lotion to the scalp. You might also want to shave it right after a shower since the hot water will help open your pores.

Hope this helps! Good for you going the smoooooooth route! :)
-gary-

Offline Derris The Barber

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 03:17:40 PM »
Welcome bro! I'm 16 too! Nothing better than being a young headshaver
-Derris The Barber

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 04:55:12 PM »
Welcome! It's going to take a little time to perfect your technique, but if you stick with it, it will get better. As far as cuts, my two personal favorites are ice cubes and cortisone cream. Good luck and enjoy the forum!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Enter your email address: