Author Topic: what happened to the days of the barber shop  (Read 2419 times)

Offline gregmi77

• Sly Guy in Training
what happened to the days of the barber shop
« on: March 28, 2013, 07:46:27 AM »
 I want to get my head shaved by a barber , thinking it is going to be easier for someone to do it for me and get the closest shave. The thing is I been calling all around my town and adjoining towns  and no one does razor shaves . What happened the days of the classic barber shop.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: what happened to the days of the barber shop
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 08:42:52 AM »
From most reports here, barber shaves don't do all that great a job and you can get a closer shave at home. So you may not be missing out on anything.

Never had it done though, so no first-hand experience.

If it's your first time, look for advice here and take it slow. You'll do fine.

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
  • Glad To Be Bald-by-choice
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 08:47:23 AM »
If you can find a barber that does head shaving then I would certainly ask him/her to shave your head. You will enjoy the experience, although in my opinion you can shave your head closer yourself at home than most barbers do.
BaldBill

Offline gregmi77

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 09:49:51 AM »
thanks guys . I am going to take the hair off and  try shaving  it myself today . going look for tips on shaving. The back of the head is the worst place to get it all

But thaks again . Will post a before and after pic after I get done and figure out how to add a photo on here

Offline sahil15

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 01:06:17 PM »
If Im going out somewhere special I always get my head shaved from a barber... they do an excellent job and the shave is always close

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 08:23:09 PM »
Here in the Philippines, all barber shops accept head shaves and all barbers will do what you request, I always get smooth as glass head shaves every time I visit my barber. Good luck on the head shave and looking forward to your pics.

@ Sahil...cool avatar
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 12:54:24 AM »
I have had razor head shaves from barbershops, and as the others have said, they rarely, if ever, get it close as you can at home. In time, once you get the art of shaving your own head down pat, a barbershop headshave becomes more of a luxury than a necessity. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 11:43:40 PM »
I've had a few headshaves in barbers shops  mainly in Asia but although enjoyable and relaxing were never as close or as smooth as I can do myself.
Roger

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 08:11:04 AM »
A couple of years ago I walked into a jewelry store and the woman who waited on me commented on my shaved head. So the conversation started. She told me that she used to work in a fairly high end barbershop in Milwaukee and she did a lot of head shaves. Then the State of Wisconsin (the gubmint, not the people) got involved and made a bunch of insurance regulations for places like barbershops that basically jacked up the cost of insurance so high that most of the barbershops just stopped doing head shaves so they didn't have to maintain the prohibitively expensive insurance.
Yet another example on how gubmint works for us?
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline smoothsailing

• Sly
  • hairfree = carefree
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 01:42:26 PM »
haha I feel bad for you OP because I have 2 shops a block away from my place of business that I can go into for a head shave.  Just do some research- if you don't find any online, chances are there aren't any in your area :[

It's very interesting to have someone else shave your head.  I've never been shaved by someone else before so it was an interesting experience to be sure.