Author Topic: How Many Blades do you go through?  (Read 2758 times)

Offline Matt F

• Learning the way of Sly
How Many Blades do you go through?
« on: September 30, 2014, 01:48:14 PM »
I've been buzzing my head now for about a month with no guard. Initially I shaved it and blunted 2 razors! I'm thinking I'd like to go completely Sly again, but was wondering how many blades the average guy goes through a week. Also, how are Mach 3's at doing the job?

Thanks.

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
Re: How Many Blades do you go through?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 02:34:48 PM »
I was using the Dorco 6-blade carts for a while, and got 2 - 3 shaves from each, shaving every other day, so I used about 2.5 per week.  Now I use a DE razor, shave every day, and use 3 per week, but they're less than 10% of the cost of a cart.

Offline invaray

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 05:06:04 PM »
I get about 1 week out of a mach 3. They do a great job and the blades are spaced far enough apart to rinse easy. If you shave each day not a lot to shave off like you did the first time.
shine and share

Offline K5mow

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 05:35:29 PM »
I use about 1 or 2 Gillette fusions a week. I shave my head and face every day.

Have a great Day.

Roger

Offline Matt F

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 03:40:03 AM »
Thanks guys. Will probably try the Mach 3 and will post a pic of the results. Just waiting for a cut on my head to heal (encounter with one of my son's dinosaurs!) and then I'll blade it!

02kpjw@gmail.com

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 12:53:55 PM »
I use the Moc3 and I shave daily with 2 lather ups per shave.  That way I can shave in both directions and I find I get a closer shave.  I go through 1 blade every two weeks.

Offline Psukhe

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 09:27:18 PM »
Wow you guys use a lot of razors.  I use the Dorco 6 blade and use it for face daily & head every second day -- change it every 2 weeks.

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 09:58:37 AM »
It all depends on what type of skin and hair you have.  I have seen some folks being ridiculed recently (mostly on some  other forums) for changing blades too frequently or for using pre-shave oils, etc.  If you have thin, soft hair and very tough skin, maybe you can get by shaving with lava soap and using a dull blade for an entire year.  Many of us have very thick, very coarse hair, combined with very sensitive skin, and we cannot.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 11:32:00 AM »
Everybody does what they need to do in terms of changing blades/carts. I don't understand the mindset of those who ridicule someone because they change blades every day.

For myself I shave every other day with a Personna M5 Magnum. I thoroughly rinse the blades after ever shave and I use a shave oil under my shave cream. Believe it or not I can stick with the same carts for 3 or 4 weeks before I start to feel like I am getting a substandard shave. So I stockpiled a bunch of carts a couple of years ago and have barely made a dent in my supply. I get nice smooth shaves and not a lot of irritation or blood loss (in fact none but I don't want to say that and jinx myself).
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.