Author Topic: Every Man should...  (Read 6307 times)

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
Re: Every Man should...
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2012, 07:36:23 PM »
Go to Mardi Gras at least once.

Along the same lines ... attend the Indy 500 at least once. The tradition and debauchery are beyond words and are unforgettable.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2012, 07:39:05 PM »
Reach out to help a stranger.

I was walking into a store last week and an older woman was trying to put a wheelchair into their car as her husband who before I got there just got out and was in the passenger seat. They were both very grateful for me stopping to help. I can tell you there were MANY that passed by while she struggled and offered no help. That wheel chair was really heavy too and she told me her husband was confined to it the day before so this was their first trip out with it.

And so many are so very simple - like reaching for something on the top shelf which is beyond the grasp of a shorter (and often older) person. Or letting someone go ahead of you in the checkout line if they've only got a few items.

Both of those gestures were so common when I was young and I rarely see them now, except when performed by someone of "my generation." Kind of disappointing at times.

And it can give the "do gooder" such a warm feeling inside that lingers quite a while.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
The idea of this thread is "should," and if you haven't tried something--expand your vistas, remember we're always telling guys to "try Sly" aren't we? :/O  If having tried it and you don't like something, fine, but at least give it a shot.  

Jonathan Swift is credited with saying, "He was a bold man that first ate an oyster!"  I've known many people who have to come to South Louisiana, Raw Oyster Virgins, and granted many had to take some "Dutch Courage" before their first one, but having downed that first salty, juicy and raw bivalve became addicted.  They are just that good.

As for escargots, i.e. snails, or caracoles in Spanish, again try them, at least try.  They are really good too.  I have always associated the Spanish version with the Rambla in Barcelona, wonderful.  

I hear you, but "should" does not equal "must". Personally, no amount of logic will ever get me to try things like snails and oysters.  :XX  I sleep easy at night knowing I'll never eat them. That's just me, though!  :D

And me!!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2012, 08:14:49 PM »
Helping others and being polite seem to be fading into oblivion.  I am amazed at how few people look behind themselves to see if someone is following them through a door.  I was taught to make sure to hold the door for the person behind you.  Even more amazing is how few people say thank you when you hold the door for them!

Regarding oysters and snails, I like both. If you don't try new things, you never know what you might be missing! 

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2012, 08:30:47 PM »
Helping others and being polite seem to be fading into oblivion.  I am amazed at how few people look behind themselves to see if someone is following them through a door.  I was taught to make sure to hold the door for the person behind you.  Even more amazing is how few people say thank you when you hold the door for them!

Regarding oysters and snails, I like both. If you don't try new things, you never know what you might be missing!

Well said. Manners really do cost nothing.